PDA

View Full Version : Racquet Manufacturers of Years Past.

tacoben
01-09-2008, 02:04 PM
As I stated in a previous thread, I'm slowly getting back into the game after a very long hiatus. In my day, Wilson, Dunlop, Head were the mainstay. Prince had just comeout with the Prince Classic with the oversize head. There were others, like Spalding, Yamaha, Rossingol, even Addidas but they are no more.

Can you name other manufacturers that are pretty much R.I.P. since the 70's and 80's. To be honest, I've only heard of Bobolat just recently, which give you an indication of how long I've been out of it. Thanks.

blitzmage_89
01-09-2008, 02:06 PM
kawasaki i dont think produces racquets anymore

SempreSami
01-09-2008, 02:16 PM
Donnay are pretty much gone.

racquet_jedi
01-09-2008, 02:31 PM
Yamaha????

tacoben
01-09-2008, 02:59 PM
Yamaha????

Yup...I recall saving up money during my sophmore year in H.S. to buy the YFG 50. I recall Dr. Rene Richards used the racquet during the hey dey of World Team Tennis (WTT). Problem was, Richards was the first transgender pro tennis player allowed to play in the pros...some contraversy, so endorsement wise, it may had some influence on the buying public. I'm also into Olympic Recurve Archery, and Yamaha made one of the finest bows ever. A prime vintage bow if you can get a hold of one. BTW, I'm currently playing with a 10 year old Yamaha EOS...a very good racquet indeed!

Bud
01-09-2008, 03:06 PM
Snauwaert :)

Bud
01-09-2008, 03:07 PM
Donnay are pretty much gone.

Donnay has two models for sale currently at TW.

Bud
01-09-2008, 03:09 PM
Yamaha????

Yeah, they made more than motorcycles :twisted:

Ever heard of a Secret 04?

PROTENNIS63
01-09-2008, 03:14 PM
Kneissl used to be quite a favorite. They are trying to get some sales going but I think they are better off sticking with the skis.

Scarab_Renfield
01-09-2008, 03:29 PM
Don't forget Puma use to make the racquets that Boris Becker played with, now Estusa makes them.

PS ... do any pro's on tour play with does any more?

TheShaun
01-09-2008, 03:31 PM
black knight. i think they only do badminton now. not sure how popular they were back in the day anyway. it was my first racquet.

vsbabolat
01-09-2008, 03:33 PM
Le Coq Sportif, Fila, Fox, Tony Trabert C-6, TAD Davis, Tensor, pdp, Bard, Avant Gaurd, Chris, Estusa, Bancroft, and Chemold. I can't think of anymore right now.

Rodd4LSU
01-09-2008, 03:55 PM
One that comes to mind is PDP. I played with 2 of their rackets, a fiberglass model called the fiberstaff, and an open throat metal frame that Roscoe Tanner used.

racquet_jedi
01-09-2008, 04:15 PM
Bosworth too right? And fox?

I think Slazenger's technically gone since it was bought by Dunlop...

Pr0DiGy
01-09-2008, 04:34 PM
lol, Yamaha...I have a yamaha flute (yes, I'm a guy flute player. No, I'm not gay). It's the best flute I've used. Better than Powell flutes which cost 18,000. That's my opinion at least.

tacoben
01-09-2008, 04:39 PM
lol, Yamaha...I have a yamaha flute (yes, I'm a guy flute player. No, I'm not gay). It's the best flute I've used. Better than Powell flutes which cost 18,000. That's my opinion at least.

Yamaha makes one of the finest pianos too! Can't go wrong with Japanese techology and workmenship.

hoodjem
01-09-2008, 04:49 PM
Rossignol? Didn't Wilander use one?

vsbabolat
01-09-2008, 05:33 PM
Bosworth too right? And fox?

I think Slazenger's technically gone since it was bought by Dunlop...

Bosworth is very much alive. http://www.bosworthtennis.com

Slazenger has been with Dunlop since 1985. In 1985 The Slazenger company is purchased by the BTR company (now Invensys) along with another famous sporting brand company, Dunlop Sport to form a new and for a number of years, quite successful company called Dunlop Slazenger.

Sports World International purchased DunlopSlazenger Group in 2004. Incidentally Sports World International purchased Donnay in 1996 and proceeded to destroy Donnay. Donnay still exists as a house brand of Sports World International Stores only. A real shame to what was a great racquet company.

BreakPoint
01-09-2008, 05:33 PM
Le Coq Sportif, Fila, Fox, Tony Trabert C-6, TAD Davis, Tensor, pdp, Bard, Avant Gaurd, Chris, Estusa, Bancroft, and Chemold. I can't think of anymore right now.
I think TAD Davis is the big one. It seemed everyone was using TAD Davis racquets back in the 70's. Spalding was also extremely popular in tennis racquets and tennis balls. Bancroft was big, too.

Also, don't forget Garcia. :)

Here's a pic of Harold Solomon with his Garcia woodie:

http://www.jewishsports.net/BioImages/SOLOMON%20Harold.jpg

NLBwell
01-09-2008, 07:54 PM
Bancroft, Sheffield (X-15), Wimbledon

Mick
01-09-2008, 07:59 PM
Adidas racquets

retrowagen
01-09-2008, 08:00 PM
...and from the 80's, gone and forgotten:

Match Mate
Antelop
Lobster

mctennis
01-09-2008, 08:48 PM
Cayman, Dayton, Spalding.

NoBadMojo
01-09-2008, 09:00 PM
Aldila - One of the very first graphites
Zebra
LeBest

tacoben
01-10-2008, 07:44 AM
Wow, lots of racquets mentioned. I just wonder....what was the common denominator for their demise?

nycoara
01-10-2008, 11:50 AM
SIAMCO and HERT by Rosewall.
Futabaya and MARUMAN at JAPAN.
Rollings in USA.

AND G-Starr FROM TW!!

Thanks

nycoara

Capt. Willie
01-10-2008, 11:58 AM
Aldila - One of the very first graphites

Yeah, I remember those. Aldila Cannon I believe. And they were very expensive for the time.

vsbabolat
01-10-2008, 11:59 AM
I just rememberd SET tennis racquets which was Stolle Emerson Tennis. Fred Stolle and Roy Emerson were the principles of the company.

Capt. Willie
01-10-2008, 12:01 PM
There was a wood racquet called a Pancho Segura Sweetspot. It had an extremely open string pattern. Might have been the first open string pattern ever made, not sure.

Capt. Willie
01-10-2008, 12:04 PM
Durafiber, I don't think this one was mentioned yet. They made graphite and fiberglass racquets in the late 70's early 80's.

Capt. Willie
01-10-2008, 12:12 PM
Wow, lots of racquets mentioned. I just wonder....what was the common denominator for their demise?

I think it was because all these racquet companies popped up during the tennis boom of the 1970's. As tennis popularity dwindled most of these smaller companies went under or returned to their other core businesses.

flash9
01-10-2008, 12:17 PM
Someone brought me a fin Scorpion to string just this week. On the side of the frame it said Chris Lewis Personal Model. The amazing thing is I tracked down Chris and had a half hour talk. He actually lost to John McEnroe in the '83 Wimbledon final 6-2, 6-2, 6-2. Very cool guy!

CGMemphis
01-10-2008, 01:13 PM
I wanted a few Yamaha racquets back in highschool..they were cool! LOL

BreakPoint
01-10-2008, 01:24 PM
Rollings in USA.

Do you mean "Rawlings"? If so, I think I had one of those. John Newcombe used to use a Rawlings aluminum racquet.

BreakPoint
01-10-2008, 01:34 PM
Someone brought me a fin Scorpion to string just this week. On the side of the frame it said Chris Lewis Personal Model. The amazing thing is I tracked down Chris and had a half hour talk. He actually lost to John McEnroe in the '83 Wimbledon final 6-2, 6-2, 6-2. Very cool guy!
Yes, I remember the Scorpion racquet. It was a black graphite racquet with red stripes, right?

Actually, Chris Lewis used a Prince racquet at the '83 Wimbledon, the POG OS, I think.

nycoara
01-11-2008, 08:47 AM
Do you mean "Rawlings"? If so, I think I had one of those. John Newcombe used to use a Rawlings aluminum racquet.

Yes, You are right.

Thanks

nycoara

flash9
01-11-2008, 11:11 AM
Yes, I remember the Scorpion racquet. It was a black graphite racquet with red stripes, right?

Actually, Chris Lewis used a Prince racquet at the '83 Wimbledon, the POG OS, I think.

BP - The Scorpion looked black at a distance, but after taking some pictures it revealed that it was actually a deep dark green color. It weighted over 13oz, and was 12 pts head light. When I talked with Chris he said that he was using the POG at Wimbledon and he actually never used the Scorpion model, but a different model from fin. I do not know if he used the fin before or after 1983. The racquet was a 9.5 in condition. I am so tempted to contact the owner and try to swap it out for something else. He had me string it for his daughter and she really should be playing with a different frame.

rasajadad
01-11-2008, 11:27 AM
Didn't Wilson used to make tennis racquets?

retrowagen
01-11-2008, 11:35 AM
Also setting the ****C machine for the 80's, we'd find
Durbin (and also their Fred Perry branded rackets)
Fila (yes, they once made hugely expensive rackets)
Sentra (a rebranded line of Antelop frames made by Pro Kennex)
RT Competition
MacGregor (remember the Bergelin long string?)

A.J. Sim
01-11-2008, 12:12 PM
Mizuno stopped making rackets for the American market, though they still make rackets in Japan. Toward the end of his career, Lendl used a Mizuno, I think.

Sabbatini used a Yamaha, I think.

Lacoste used to make rackets. Fox also was once more visible than they are now; Brad Gilbert used to use them when he played. I'm not sure if they are still making rackets. Puma was of course used by Boris Becker and they don't make frames anymore.

Does Wavex still make tennis rackets?

Capt. Willie
01-11-2008, 12:49 PM
Mizuno stopped making rackets for the American market, though they still make rackets in Japan. Toward the end of his career, Lendl used a Mizuno, I think.

Yes, he did. It was basically a knock-off of his adidas racquet. In fact, he wore Mizuno clothing and shoes at the end of his career also.

Lacoste used to make rackets.

The Wilson T-2000 was originally sold as a Lacoste racquet. Wilson purchased the racquet design from them in the mid 60's.

NoBadMojo
01-11-2008, 01:03 PM
Yes, he did. It was basically a knock-off of his adidas racquet. In fact, he wore Mizuno clothing and shoes at the end of his career also.

The Wilson T-2000 was originally sold as a Lacoste racquet. Wilson purchased the racquet design from them in the mid 60's.

I dont think Adidas actually ever made racquets..it's more likely Lendls Adidas racquet was actually a Mizuno. I used to play the Hallet and I think that was made for Adidas by Dunlop.

Vision84
01-11-2008, 01:19 PM
My club used to sell Major rackets about 6 or 7 years ago. Haven't heard from the company since. They had Arnaud Clement as the face of their brand.

Martingale
01-11-2008, 01:58 PM
I also wanted to buy Yamaha rackets in the late 80s and early 90s, but could only afford the EOS, indeed a fine racket. I have since bought some Secret 4, 6, 10s, many years after Yamaha quit the market following the lawsuit brought by Wilson!

Youngsters should borrow more when young and repay when older, cause by the time they can afford the fine rackets they have always wanted, the producer will have gone out of business. Fortunately, the Yamahas were top quality and age rather well.

Rabbit
01-11-2008, 02:30 PM
The Adidas frame Lendl used wasn't a Mizuno, it was a copy of the original White Star Kneissel that Lendl started with. The Mizuno was a completely new design.

Capt. Willie
01-11-2008, 06:43 PM
Okay, I just took this off of woodtennis.com :

Ivan Lendl Racket History:
Lendl played with the Kneissl White Star Lendl model thru 1980. In 1981, he started to play with the Adidas GTX Pro model, which he would used thru 1985. He played his French final in 1981 against Borg with the this GTX Model. Note: Lendl's early batches of GTXs were paintjob Kneissls, but that ended and the Adidas GTX manufacturing moved to France. In 1986, Ivan started to play the Adidas GTX Pro-T, until 1990. In 1990, he entered a multi-year, exclusive deal with Mizuno, and used that Mizuna Ivan Lendl model. The Mizuno was actually different racket mold from his Kneissl & Adidas frames, and added 10-15% headsize increase over his former racquet models. This change was suppose to help Ivan win Wimbledon :)

http://www.woodtennis.com/lendl/

Capt. Willie
01-11-2008, 06:50 PM
So if I'm understanding this correctly, the adidas GTX was based on the Kneissl White Star...probably made from the same mold.