PDA

View Full Version : Racquet feels hollow...

racquet_jedi
01-09-2008, 08:53 PM
Title explains it all, whenever I'm bouncing the ball with my racquet (and hitting with it to), I notice that it feels a bit hollow, would tightening the strings make it feel more firm? How about adding more mass to the handle?

Multis also with a tighter tension?

Alafter
01-09-2008, 10:14 PM
Title explains it all, whenever I'm bouncing the ball with my racquet (and hitting with it to), I notice that it feels a bit hollow, would tightening the strings make it feel more firm? How about adding more mass to the handle?

Depending on hollow. But with lighter stiffer rackets i notice that higher tension does not improve feel.

Deuce
01-10-2008, 03:47 AM

Of course your racquet feels hollow and cheap - that's the style today. All of today's racquets feel hollow and cheap.

Complaining about a current racquet feeling hollow is like buying a pair of jeans and complaining that the crotch is at your knees. Hell - of course the crotch is at your knees - that's what's 'cool' today.
It's all about today's style, man...

tennis_hand
01-10-2008, 05:27 AM
just add lead... :lol:

Maestro Nalbandian
01-10-2008, 05:45 AM
just add lead... :lol:

"Have you thought of adding some lead?" ;););)

MichaelChang
01-10-2008, 06:03 AM
yep I really feel many rackets made today are hollow, and ball feel is terrible. you might try to find some used old school ones on the * bay.

Gimmick
01-10-2008, 06:10 AM
Maybe you need to get the lead out.

Alafter
01-10-2008, 08:00 AM
Hell, I'd say it's even high time you gave up on tennis!

racquet_jedi
01-10-2008, 04:57 PM
Hmm, actually I think I'll use either a full multi string job or put my multi in the mains...

I actually have a total of 16 g at the 3/9 positions and more weight in the handle, though I don't know how much (I used rubberbands stuffed inside the handle and I don't have a scale)...

Blank
01-10-2008, 06:15 PM
I have personally experienced hollowness using Head Pro Tour 690 and Asian PS Tour 90. It just seems it is lacking some weight.
I guess some lead will enhance the feel somewhat.

pow
01-10-2008, 07:03 PM
I don't think you can change that feel too much. I've ran into racquets with that feel and I guess it's just in the bonding material used to make the racquet. I've felt extreme hollowness on the Aerogel 300.

If you want solid feel, go with older sticks, I found them in the PK Redondo, the Tour 90, and very much in the PS 85.

Gmedlo
01-10-2008, 07:10 PM
I definitely think adding more lead will do the trick! ;)

jk, incase you didn't see the other thread. Your racquet feels hollow because it is. Luckily, I know what you are describing; I think the fix is actually to lower the tension.

EDIT: saw what racquet you are using, and I think it's because of the construction of the racquet. It's a pretty thick-beamed racquet that's pretty light, so the graphite is probably thin, producing a tinny, hollow feel. No way to fix it really, although lowering the tension could help a little.

Gundam
01-16-2008, 05:21 PM
Of course your racquet feels hollow and cheap - that's the style today. All of today's racquets feel hollow and cheap.

Complaining about a current racquet feeling hollow is like buying a pair of jeans and complaining that the crotch is at your knees. Hell - of course the crotch is at your knees - that's what's 'cool' today.
It's all about today's style, man...

a ha ha ha!

This is really funny and very true, sir!

BTW, I usually avoid hollow, tinny feeling racquets. I guess feeling hollow is different from being hollow. Once I cut opened a cracked iPrestige. Yup, even that player's stick was hollow like a tube. That's the modern construction.

But hollow feel is a different story. To experience it, try liquidmetal instinct. I bought it out of curiosity. Somehow it plays very well but it feels very thin, fragile and plastic-y. I feel like I am playing with a stick made with 0.1mm-thickness cheap plastic tube wall. I always feel nervous as if I am going to break the racquet. On the contrary, my trusty, PS6.0 95s, POG OS feel full.

So the best is avoiding hollow-feel racquets. If the sound is the issue, put some rubber bands as shock dampner.

Alafter
01-16-2008, 07:28 PM
Your racquet will never feel solid.

The solid feel is coming from the natural construct of the racquet (suspect mostly density, and some beamwidth & flex). Unless you can change the material density, i dont think you will ever get the solid feel. You'll just end up with a heavier racquet to swing.

FuriousYellow
01-16-2008, 08:09 PM
Depending on hollow. But with lighter stiffer rackets i notice that higher tension does not improve feel.

That's also why I'm not believer in getting a light racquet and building it up with lead. You can increase the weight of light frame to 12oz, but you never get the same solid feeling as you do with a frame that was built to be 12oz IMO.

SempreSami
01-16-2008, 08:39 PM
Go back to wood :roll:

max200G
01-17-2008, 09:27 AM
a ha ha ha!

This is really funny and very true, sir!

BTW, I usually avoid hollow, tinny feeling racquets. I guess feeling hollow is different from being hollow. Once I cut opened a cracked iPrestige. Yup, even that player's stick was hollow like a tube. That's the modern construction.

Even My Max 200G from 1983 are Hollow. All racquets are hollow in construction some racquets companies like Prince with the Original Graphite then injecte foam in the racquet.