PDA

View Full Version : high swing weight rods

Ross K
01-10-2008, 03:06 AM
High swing weight rods - anyone play with them? How many pro's use them? What are the advantages? Disadvantages? What's the view on them people?... FYI, I'm really enjoying experimenting with my Rad Tour Twin Tube XL (sw: 369 - it's like a battering ram!) And not least because it does kind of feel like I'm hitting a heavier ball. Anyway, cheers all...

fuzz nation
01-10-2008, 05:04 AM
Stability, timing, feel... pass the thesaurus, please.

I'm used to a racquet that really wins the collision with the ball without flirting with mach one when I swing it. I also go to net a lot and I'm lost without a rather hefty bat - if I go forward with a light one, my half-volleys almost disappear and the ball feels like it's pushing the racquet around when I try to volley a hard drive. Largely subjective for sure, but I'm used to the physics, too.

grass_hopper
01-10-2008, 05:16 AM
all you two are saying is true, for me it feels great for the first 4 games of the match as match goes on the swing weight gets more heavy and speed goes down the tube, hence the serve and ground strokes suffer.

Ross K
01-10-2008, 06:27 AM

I'm used to a racquet that really wins the collision with the ball without flirting with mach one when I swing it. I also go to net a lot and I'm lost without a rather hefty bat - if I go forward with a light one, my half-volleys almost disappear and the ball feels like it's pushing the racquet around when I try to volley a hard drive. Largely subjective for sure, but I'm used to the physics, too.

Hey, fuzz. Nice turn of phrase! I also agree about net play and half-volleys not being so great with lighter, lower SW frames, but somewhat improved with higher ones... of course, that's provide you've had the fifteen minutes required to wynch up that high SW frame into position! :))

Automatix
01-10-2008, 07:26 AM
Well I would be very careful when saying that a high sw racquet is better for volleying... more stable? Yes! Easier to finish the shot? Naturaly! But if your oponent makes you think he's going to pass you on your right and he shoots through your left, the higher swingweight will make it tougher to return properly...

But I have to say I love frames with high sw... I have no idea what's the sw of my i.Prestige Mid XLs but it has to be higher than other i.Prestiges due to the length (27 3/4 inch to 27,5 of i.Prestige MP XL) and higher or equal mass (compared to most Prestige frames...)

Sup2Dresq
01-10-2008, 07:47 AM

I totally agree. I had played with the N90 and K90 until July of last year and switched over to the APDC. Though i instantly felt i could generate more power, I couldn't produce a clean volley or half volley in high competition. That said, the serve would fly as well. So after nationals i switched back and man.. do I love the SW. I just had to hit the gym harder and give myself more rest between tournaments I suppose.