PDA

View Full Version : Why produce 2 versions of rackets

Ramirez
01-10-2008, 06:05 AM
Many racket manufacturers produce 2 versions of the same racket worldwide.
They tend to supply the asian market with the lighter version whereas U.S. and Europe are supplied with the heavier version.

For example, the U.S. version Wilson K95 weighs about 12.3 ouces when strung whereas the Asian version weighs only just over 11 ouces in strung weight....

Why must they do this??????? They feel that Asian players are weaker?????

WBF
01-10-2008, 06:15 AM
Because no racquet is perfect for everyone? Perhaps they localized based on what people in each region would be most likely to buy? What's the problem?

Rasta
01-10-2008, 06:18 AM
I suppose the companies produce and supply goods that they feel have the best chance to sell in a particular market. I remember in college we had a speaker from Goldkist Farms. This speaker said that years ago a middle eastern country requested that they produce and supply 'skinny' chickens. They refused saying that the more plump chickens were superior in taste. So, they lost that business to a competitor. The bottom line is to give consumers what they want.

Ramirez
01-10-2008, 06:56 AM
Because no racquet is perfect for everyone? Perhaps they localized based on what people in each region would be most likely to buy? What's the problem?

I seriously doubt it..... vast majority of Asian players prefer the heavier version.

grass_hopper
01-10-2008, 09:28 AM
Most asian players are smaller in size than russian or american players. Just like cloth size the racquet needs to fit the person.

Shangri La
01-10-2008, 09:35 AM
Many racket manufacturers produce 2 versions of the same racket worldwide.
They tend to supply the asian market with the lighter version whereas U.S. and Europe are supplied with the heavier version.

For example, the U.S. version Wilson K95 weighs about 12.3 ouces when strung whereas the Asian version weighs only just over 11 ouces in strung weight....

To the best of my knowledge, its only a wilson thing, on a handful of models.

Cup8489
01-10-2008, 09:54 AM
I seriously doubt it..... vast majority of Asian players prefer the heavier version.

can you prove this? i find this highly doubtful myself, as the majority of players WORLDWIDE prefer lighter sticks to heavier ones, because the majority out there can't comfortably wield the heft of a 12 oz racquet and still be competitive.

Shangri La
01-10-2008, 10:11 AM
How about this:

Wilson values the Asian market greatly and expects a variety of racquet preferences when it comes to weight. Thus the release of the Asian models in addition to the regular ones.

Just trying to think positively being a Chinese myself =)

grass_hopper
01-10-2008, 10:28 AM
the asian version is so popular in US that prince(speedport white), boris becker(becker 11) and head(microgel radical) are also came out with two weight size of same racquets. for many years the USA guys wish to have the choice. the problem was the asian version were grip size 41/4 to 43/8 and NOT 41/2 to 45/8 which is common in US.

Ramirez
01-10-2008, 03:56 PM
can you prove this? i find this highly doubtful myself, as the majority of players WORLDWIDE prefer lighter sticks to heavier ones, because the majority out there can't comfortably wield the heft of a 12 oz racquet and still be competitive.

Can't prove it through sales stats as I don't have the numbers and also, U.S. version is hard to come by so most Asians don't have a chance to buy the U.S. version. As such, difficult to compare the stats of sales for both. But bring in both models U.S. and Asian version, let Asians know that the pros such as Federer is using the U.S. version, which model do you think will sell better?

Can you pro otherwise?

SFrazeur
01-10-2008, 04:01 PM
Reason: know your customers, fill their needs, make money.

-SF

misakikidd
01-10-2008, 04:54 PM
it goes that the asians are relatively smaller and have diffrent tastes so use lighter rackets i guess

Klatu Verata Necktie
01-10-2008, 06:39 PM
To the best of my knowledge, its only a wilson thing, on a handful of models.

Becker has light and heavy versions of the 11, and Fischer has light and heavy M Pro One.

I like the thought of having more options to choose from. There are people who make a big deal of "custom" racquets who don't realize that large companies like Wilson and Head have so many different models with varying specs that they actually have more options than "custom" manufacturers.

YULitle
01-10-2008, 07:11 PM
Babolat does this too. Often times when we send Babolats back on warranty they come back denied. The reason is funny...

"Denied: Purchased on E-to-the-Bay or in China"

The first time I saw this I was pretty shocked that Babolat could tell. It was a hologram on the throat that had Chinese characters. Not so hard, but I'm no Sherlock. So, there's one more manufacturer.

anirut
01-10-2008, 07:49 PM
Volkl also makes lighter versions for the Asian market.

At least this is what I know for Thailand, people here tend to prefer small grip and light-weight sticks. A lot of these people don't know tennis, let alone know much. The worst part is they don't accept that don't know anything. I DO CONFESS that I was once stupid, very stupid, until I found TT!!

I was once at a store when one "poor-rich" lady came in said, "Look, I'm new to tennis and want a light racket. I have money. I don't care about the price." She then demanded the "best" racket and then made a racket about rackets being too heavy for her (230-250 grams!!!).

The sales people were having a headache with her. She was so annoying that I decided to step in to help ... not her ... but help the sales people. I explained this and that about racket weight and bla, bla, bla.

In the end, I helped to sell her the most expensive racket on the racks and let the sales people make the money. Not that I care about her game. I was just ****ed off at these jerks!!!

Anyhow, I've never liked too light or too small a grip though. I find 'em awkward to play with.

Gmedlo
01-10-2008, 08:10 PM
China- Average height- 5' 4.8"
USA- Average height- 5' 10"

That's why.

BreakPoint
01-10-2008, 08:33 PM

The Asian K95 and K90 are only 0.7 oz. lighter than their US version counterparts.

And to answer you question, I think the obvious answer is - "Yes".

BreakPoint
01-10-2008, 08:35 PM
I don't think that's true. If you had the true stats, you'd see that the Asian version outsells the US version by far in Asia.

BreakPoint
01-10-2008, 08:39 PM
But bring in both models U.S. and Asian version, let Asians know that the pros such as Federer is using the U.S. version, which model do you think will sell better?

How do you know for sure that Federer uses the US version?

I read here recently that someone weighed his racquet and it was only 12.0 oz. STRUNG. If that's true, that means it's much closer to the Asian version than the US version. My Asian K90 is also 12.0 oz. strung.

BreakPoint
01-10-2008, 09:43 PM

That's why.

Hmmm....not according to this: http://www.shortsupport.org/Research/international.html

China - average height 5' 6 - 5' 6.6"

BTW, the average height in northern China is almost the same as it is in the U.S.

Mick
01-10-2008, 10:13 PM
How do you know for sure that Federer uses the US version?

I read here recently that someone weighed his racquet and it was only 12.0 oz. STRUNG. If that's true, that means it's much closer to the Asian version than the US version. My Asian K90 is also 12.0 oz. strung.

since Federer uses a L3 gripsize (very small gripsize for a person of his size) I would not be surprised if he uses asian K90s.

I think Federer subscribes to the idea that less is more: (smaller headsize, smaller grip size, lower string tensions and possibly lower weight)

BreakPoint
01-10-2008, 10:37 PM
since Federer uses a L3 gripsize (very small gripsize for a person of his size) I would not be surprised if he uses asian K90s.

I think Federer subscribes to the idea that less is more: (smaller headsize, smaller grip size, lower string tensions and possibly lower weight)
And if that is true, that would help to explain how he's able to generate the incredible racquet head speed that he does. However, it wouldn't explain how he's able to block back Roddick's 140mph serves with so much control as you need a lot of weight and stability for that.

AlpineCadet
01-10-2008, 11:21 PM

Do you also suspect that he used the Asian spec Pro Staff 6.0 85? ;) BTW, just because a person is 6'1" doesn't mean he doesn't have short fingers. I can say that because a guy came into the shop who was taller than 6 feet, and his hand measured between L3 and L4, while I measured at an L5 even though I am 5'10".

origmarm
01-10-2008, 11:21 PM
Babolat does this too. Often times when we send Babolats back on warranty they come back denied. The reason is funny...

The first time I saw this I was pretty shocked that Babolat could tell. It was a hologram on the throat that had Chinese characters. Not so hard, but I'm no Sherlock. So, there's one more manufacturer.

That's very interesting, surely they have a "global warranty" no? Not questioning that it happened, more surprised that Babolat would not honour the warranty on one of it's products no matter where it was purchased.

Regarding the subject at hand, I wouldn't be surprised to see many more manufacturers offering heavy and light versions of their racquets in the coming year

BreakPoint
01-10-2008, 11:47 PM
Regarding the subject at hand, I wouldn't be surprised to see many more manufacturers offering heavy and light versions of their racquets in the coming year
That would only make sense and it would actually not be anything new as back in the wood era, every manufacturer marketed every one of their racquet models in a choice of 3, 4 or even 5 different weight options.

Mick
01-10-2008, 11:47 PM
Do you also suspect that he used the Asian spec Pro Staff 6.0 85? ;) BTW, just because a person is 6'1" doesn't mean he doesn't have short fingers. I can say that because a guy came into the shop who was taller than 6 feet, and his hand measured between L3 and L4, while I measured at an L5 even though I am 5'10".

now that you mentioned it, Federer's fingers look kinda short :D

http://i18.tinypic.com/6jeyn87.jpg

origmarm
01-10-2008, 11:49 PM
That would only make sense and it would actually not be anything new as back in the wood era, every manufacturer marketed every one of their racquet models in a choice of 3, 4 or even 5 different weight options.

I didn't realise that. While I played with woodies as a kid, I didn't have much choice back then :)

Thinking about it a little more, what is the difference between the Asian version of say a K95 and the K95 "Team", isn't it essentially the same idea?

BreakPoint
01-10-2008, 11:57 PM
I didn't realise that. While I played with woodies as a kid, I didn't have much choice back then :)
Yes, almost all wood racquet models came in a choice of "Light", Medium" or "Heavy" weight options and sometimes even "Light-Medium" and/or "Medium-Heavy".

Thinking about it a little more, what is the difference between the Asian version of say a K95 and the K95 "Team", isn't it essentially the same idea?
The K95 Team is even lighter than the Asian K95. The Asian K95 is about 11.6 oz. strung, whereas, the K95 Team is only 10.9 oz. strung. Also the Asian K95 has a 16x18 string pattern, whereas, the K95 Team has a 18x20 string pattern. BTW, the K95 Team must be really, really low powered as it's so light, has a tight string pattern, and also has a really low stiffness of only 59. This is one racquet I would not want to use as it probably feels like a fly swatter. :shock:

AlpineCadet
01-11-2008, 12:04 AM
now that you mentioned it, Federer's fingers look kinda short :D

Looks like a finger gap :confused:

http://i8.tinypic.com/7xmfl8x.jpg

Ramirez
01-11-2008, 02:34 AM
How do you know for sure that Federer uses the US version? .

How do you NOT know?

Where did you read about this .... kindly explain and demonstrate.

bagung
01-11-2008, 02:57 AM
in south east asia, the proshops mostly stock the 4 1/4 grips racquets; the reason to that is , they do not have to keep too many stock on different grip sizes... so if someone need bigger grip-size, they recomend to put 2 overgrips and so on...
the dealer of volkl in indonesia, always bring in the lighter version of "10 series" such as dnx-10MP 295g and becker 11 295g.. when i ask them for normal version of 325g, they told me they won't bring those in, because they can't sell it.... they still have stocks of T10gen1, gen2..... all the 325g and above....

BreakPoint
01-11-2008, 11:03 AM
How do you NOT know?
I don't. I made no claims. However, you did claim that Federer uses the US version as if you were sure of it.
.... let Asians know that the pros such as Federer is using the U.S. version, .....
So the onus is on you to prove it, not me.

Where did you read about this .... kindly explain and demonstrate.
Read this: http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=161027&p=1973475

Shangri La
01-11-2008, 02:23 PM
Becker has light and heavy versions of the 11, and Fischer has light and heavy M Pro One.

I like the thought of having more options to choose from. There are people who make a big deal of "custom" racquets who don't realize that large companies like Wilson and Head have so many different models with varying specs that they actually have more options than "custom" manufacturers.

Yeah, I'm aware of the BB/Fischer light versions, but they're available worldwide whereas Wilson's light veriosn of the K/N90/95 are available to the Asian market exclusively.

Shangri La
01-11-2008, 02:50 PM

Not too sure about tennis racquets, but it's a common practice for a lot of manufacturers that tech support or warranty of a certain product sold in a certain country/region is covered by that particular sales region -- no global tech support or warranty offered. Looks Babolat does the same for their racquets too but it doesnt necessarily mean Babolat offers different product lines for different countries. Do you recall if those are non-US (since youre in Texas) models?

inwoodnyc
01-21-2008, 01:25 PM
Yes, almost all wood racquet models came in a choice of "Light", Medium" or "Heavy" weight options and sometimes even "Light-Medium" and/or "Medium-Heavy".

The K95 Team is even lighter than the Asian K95. The Asian K95 is about 11.6 oz. strung, whereas, the K95 Team is only 10.9 oz. strung. Also the Asian K95 has a 16x18 string pattern, whereas, the K95 Team has a 18x20 string pattern. BTW, the K95 Team must be really, really low powered as it's so light, has a tight string pattern, and also has a really low stiffness of only 59. This is one racquet I would not want to use as it probably feels like a fly swatter. :shock:

You're absolutely right, BreakPoint, K6.1 Team does feel like a fly swatter. Im in the process of going back to heavier racquets...Im expanding so much energy trying to produce decent power with the Team that its pros are definately outweighed by its cons.

rush-n-crush
01-21-2008, 02:02 PM

That's why.

The average height in China is the same as in the USA.

Amazing....racists on a tennis forum!