PDA

View Full Version : Racket and Gimmicks

Ramirez
01-10-2008, 08:16 AM
"All the marketing we see about rackets are purely gimmicks. It is only the weight, balance, length and string pattern that counts"

Is the above statement an accurate one?

0d1n
01-10-2008, 08:19 AM
"All the marketing we see about rackets are purely gimmicks. It is only the weight, balance, length and string pattern that counts"

Is the above statement an accurate one?

And beam width, and composition/layup, and swing weight, and stiffness...and "feel"/feedback and many other things...the most important of them all being that the player likes it :).

VGP
01-10-2008, 08:19 AM
Mostly accurate.....

I'd add that stiffness across the length of the frame to that statement.

Things like head size, grip size and grip shape are important preferences.

BobFL
01-10-2008, 08:28 AM
It is accurate but it is not complete.

Nellie
01-10-2008, 09:00 AM
Oddly, I find the quote to be at least partially wrong, becuase so many of the marketing and "giimmicks" have structural effects on weight, balence, and stiffness. While some (flexpoint!!) are pure marketing, many changes are very tangible. For example, I doubt very much that I swing faster because of the aero shape of an Aeropro or the ports of a Speedport racquet, but I can difinitely feel the difference in contact when using these racqets due to differences in flex and weight from the designs. Similarly, I can certainly tell the difference from a n90 and k90 from the shorter, stiffer throat.

I can certainly feel changes from high-modulus graphite (stiffer).

That's why you have to demo the racquets.

Gimmick
01-10-2008, 09:54 AM
The flexpoint is not pure marketing. There is in fact a reduced resistance to bending at the location of those two $%#@ holes. The problem is that it doesn't actually give you better accuracy, it just makes the racquet flex more in the middle.

Kevo
01-10-2008, 11:02 AM
I actually think some of the gimmicks have merit, but few maybe none of them actually help you play better. I recently tried the Pure Drive Roddick. I noticed the cortex really does seem to reduce the shock of the stiff frame and you can actually get a sense of ball pocketing with it even with a poly. It's not a huge thing, but it does function so I wouldn't really call it a gimmick.

Zachol82
01-10-2008, 12:41 PM
Yes, it is accurate but that depends what you mean by "gimmicks".

Some racquet advertise their racquet's composition, such as the Head Microgel...with their Microgel technology. This isn't a gimmick since microgel technology does give stability to the racquet.

The quote you mentioned is probably what will affect the overall feel of the racquet the most though.