PDA

View Full Version : Ti Radical?

Ross K
01-11-2008, 02:26 AM
I haven't heard much about it other than it's apparently not held in the same high esteem as people regard some of the other, older Rads (bumblebee, twin tubes, etc) and other, older, similar frames.

Is this justified though?

One person has also told me it's actually extremely underated and is really a very good racquet indeed with many qualities (albeit maybe not quite for your advanced level players)...

So then. I'm curious to hear from some of you rod connoisseurs with playing experience of this one...

Serving... groundies... all round... comparisons with other older, Head frames and the like...

The Ti Radical... What's the story?

Cheers all!

anirut
01-11-2008, 03:25 AM
At the time, I bought two, sold one, the other is still brand new, and got back to using my trusty Dunlop Rev Tour 90.

Good stick, no doubt, but doesn't suit my type.

0d1n
01-11-2008, 03:40 AM
I preferred the I.radical to the TI (from the newer...lighter radicals). Never played the old heavy ones :(. There is a coach in my area that uses an older 1998 (or 95) MP...I may ask him if I can have a hit with it.

Doc Hollidae
01-11-2008, 07:33 AM
It played closer to the older radicals than the new ones. It still had that Radical Trysis or TT Tour feel, but was significantly lighter and felt stiffer as well. A very good all around racket that didn't necessarily excel in any particular category. There was a good balance of control and power, but didn't have the control the Radical TT Tour from the basline. It did have more pop though. It was also the most stable >12 oz. Radical.
Think of it as a light weight Trysis in a sense or lightweight weight Radical LE.

Matmac
01-11-2008, 10:24 AM
I used to play with Ti Radicals for a number of years. In fact I made a switch from PT 630 (I didn’t know any better at the time). It’s not horrible, it’s very maneuverable due to its light weight. It’s good for fast, flat and sliced serves, which I use a lot as a tall guy, but I definitely couldn’t serve a heavy ball with it, and second serve kick was a problem. It is quite low-powered, with good control of the ground (though tough to generate spin with decent pace left on the ball). One area where I found it excellent was on drop shots and other touch shots. For some reason I could play a well disguised drop shot with this stick like with no other before or since – but I play on clay exclusively, so drop shots might not be that important to you. Unfortunately there is one major disadvantage, and that’s stability when facing a hard hitting opponent. Against a really heavy ball (be it pace or spin) the racquet feels like it has no sweetspot, both from the back of the court and on volleys (mind you I knew next to nothing about customization until recently and lead might change that, especially that you can add a lot with the low stock weight). It is very good for retrieving and playing junk balls though. Anyway, long story short, after reading some threads on this board, when I was at my parents’ place I went to the attic and found my old PT630. I’ve been playing with it for a couple of months now, and all I can say is that I want those years I spent hitting with Ti Radicals back. For me, there is just no comparison.

poinconeru
01-11-2008, 11:32 AM
Funny this post would come up today. Because I have a love/hate relationship with the ti.Radical that has intensified lately. Personally I like it better than any of the other radicals--and I've played with them all except the microgels. Tour and Trysis didn't quite have enough pop for me. iRad was too stiff, LMs and Flexpoints too mushy.

I played with the Radical Tour and then the ti.Radical for years and due to pressure from friends (who told me OS racquets were out) started playing with MP racquets two years ago (PD Roddick, LM Prestige mostly, nSix-One 95). My game seemed to get much better with those heavier sticks because I could better handle meatier balls and could slice much better. I found the PD Roddick too powerful and the Prestige very good, but off center shots on the Prestige left me with not enough penetration. Lately, after switching to the nCode I thought I had found the perfect racquet, but for some reason it continues to make my arm sore (a problem I didn't have even have with the Roddick).

So back to the story. I thought I'd dust off a ti.Rad OS to heal up with. Since its lightness was one reason I moved away from it I added 20 inches of Unique lead tape at three o'clock and 20 inches at nine, and then twenty inches to the handle. Add a leather grip and overgrip and the racquet comes to 12.2 oz, 8 Points head light. Strung it with 17g Kirschbaum Supersmash.

Well, my friends aren't laughing at my OS anymore, because it's nearly impossible to miss a serve return with this beefed up ti.Rad and I am playing better than ever from all areas of the court. And my arm doesn't hurt. I do feel like it lacks precision on serving, but it puts tons of pace on the ball. It also slices beautifully--the biggest drawback, I thought, of the stock racquet. It picks up and hits meaty groundstrokes now, and with that big headsize I feel like I can get the racquet on almost any ball at net. It feels stiff enough to be solid but flexible enough to hang on to the ball.

That's what I love. What I hate is that this racquet is just not that fun to play with. It doesn't really make me feel like I'm playing well, I just seem to win a lot of points with it. LIke one of the other posters said, it does a lot of things well but doesn't excel at anything. It's like a sedan. Very functional but no too sexy. It's solid, but not crisp. So right now I'm frustrated to be playing so well with a racquet that in today's world isn't really considered a players racquet. I'm 34, but even when I play doubles with the "old guys" (in their 50s) I'm still the one with the biggest racquet on the court. So I'm in a crisis situation right now, wondering if I should return to my OS/ti.Rad roots or keep trying to find an MP that does everything I want it to.

Ross K
01-11-2008, 02:13 PM
LOL!... just seen the ti. rad namechecked in thread about 'the worst ever racquet you've ever played with'!!!

Thanks to all above for your detailed replies.

rabidcow
01-11-2008, 06:13 PM
Its rock solid just doesn't have that extra gear to make it exceptional

jayrlo
01-12-2008, 06:07 AM
The Ti Radical is definitely a racket that changed a lot for my game. It gave me the extra gear i was looking for back when i was a junior. Seemed like everyone had one then too. A little odd. But i remember playing with it recently and it still hits like a charm. It may lack the feel that the classic rackets have but it can definitely take the pace of today's game. I'm sure. I think this is due to its dense string pattern and balance.

bigfoot910
01-12-2008, 04:50 PM
In my opinion, this was quite possibly the best radical made, with the exception of the original. I played with the Ti for 6 years before I finally couldn't get any more of them. The new ones just don't even come close to that old feel. I have tried every one since and haven't been happy with any of them.

Matt21
01-12-2008, 07:32 PM
Funny this post would come up today. Because I have a love/hate relationship with the ti.Radical that has intensified lately. Personally I like it better than any of the other radicals--and I've played with them all except the microgels. Tour and Trysis didn't quite have enough pop for me. iRad was too stiff, LMs and Flexpoints too mushy.

I played with the Radical Tour and then the ti.Radical for years and due to pressure from friends (who told me OS racquets were out) started playing with MP racquets two years ago (PD Roddick, LM Prestige mostly, nSix-One 95). My game seemed to get much better with those heavier sticks because I could better handle meatier balls and could slice much better. I found the PD Roddick too powerful and the Prestige very good, but off center shots on the Prestige left me with not enough penetration. Lately, after switching to the nCode I thought I had found the perfect racquet, but for some reason it continues to make my arm sore (a problem I didn't have even have with the Roddick).

So back to the story. I thought I'd dust off a ti.Rad OS to heal up with. Since its lightness was one reason I moved away from it I added 20 inches of Unique lead tape at three o'clock and 20 inches at nine, and then twenty inches to the handle. Add a leather grip and overgrip and the racquet comes to 12.2 oz, 8 Points head light. Strung it with 17g Kirschbaum Supersmash.

Well, my friends aren't laughing at my OS anymore, because it's nearly impossible to miss a serve return with this beefed up ti.Rad and I am playing better than ever from all areas of the court. And my arm doesn't hurt. I do feel like it lacks precision on serving, but it puts tons of pace on the ball. It also slices beautifully--the biggest drawback, I thought, of the stock racquet. It picks up and hits meaty groundstrokes now, and with that big headsize I feel like I can get the racquet on almost any ball at net. It feels stiff enough to be solid but flexible enough to hang on to the ball.

That's what I love. What I hate is that this racquet is just not that fun to play with. It doesn't really make me feel like I'm playing well, I just seem to win a lot of points with it. LIke one of the other posters said, it does a lot of things well but doesn't excel at anything. It's like a sedan. Very functional but no too sexy. It's solid, but not crisp. So right now I'm frustrated to be playing so well with a racquet that in today's world isn't really considered a players racquet. I'm 34, but even when I play doubles with the "old guys" (in their 50s) I'm still the one with the biggest racquet on the court. So I'm in a crisis situation right now, wondering if I should return to my OS/ti.Rad roots or keep trying to find an MP that does everything I want it to.

Part of me wants to say, "are you kidding me?? If you're winning, run with it..." But there's another part of me that understands exactly what you mean by wanting to show up with a frame that not only works well for you, but "suits" you. I don't know, I'd say, go with the surefire winner. Who cares that your racquet is the biggest? If you are doing damage with it, roll with that stick. The Ti.Radical OS was my first, "non-W*lM^rt" racquet; I bought it after taking a few lessons and realizing that $20.00 recreational racquets were too high powered and "flimsy" for my game.

I too had a love/hate relationship with the Ti.Radical OS, but only because I'm an all-court player with a one-handed backhand and somehow, the Ti.Rad OS did not suit my approach game. As for slice/drop shots/topspin, big serves, I could do it all with that frame (stock). It wasn't the biggest serving stick, but I did well with it. It also returned serve well. In my opinion, 18x19 is probably the best all-around string pattern in that it allows you to have penetrating topspin as well as being able to flatten it out without it sailing/floating as much as with a 16x18 or 16x19.

In the end, I realized that the OS frame itself (not just the Rad in particular), for me, would probably be better if I had a two-handed backhand, but I don't. With that, I resigned to years of shifting back and forth between 90/95/98 sq. in. frames. After all that time, nothing I've ever played with has come close to the power, precision, spin and touch from the baseline that the Ti.Rad OS gave me. When you've got it strung at the right tension with the right string, it just has an unmatched crispness. It just failed me when it was time to come into the court (maybe the OS head doesn't come around as quickly as a 95).

The only other frame I hit with from the Head Radical line that made me think twice about returning to Radicals is the new MG Radical OS. I'm not quite sure I've put my finger on what it is I like so much about it, but it's probably the best of the "modern" Radicals (i.Radical, LM Radical, Flexpoint Rad). The Flexpoint Rad OS was the most horrible frame I think I've ever hit with (again, way too soft in the hoop for approach shots, half-volleys, volleys and blocking back hard serves). It was okay off the ground (from the baseline) and on serves and overheads, but terrible everywhere else.

The new MG Radical OS is a sweet stick, but beware, it was the lowest powered Rad I've ever hit with. I had to string it down @ 49 lbs. to get the touch and power I wanted.

I know this was a long post, but I just wanted to share some opinions. Anyway, who cares what others think about how your racquet looks? Keep mopping up the court with your opponents, but if looking at that "four models ago" Radical is bothering you, go check out the Microgel Rad OS. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

NLBwell
01-12-2008, 08:18 PM
Like Matmack I switched from a PT280 to a tiRadical back when. When I got it I demoed a lot of rackets and ended up the the Radical because it was the most well-rounded racket (not the best at anything as others have said). I realized it was too light because I couldn't get anything on my serve - actually, I didn't have problems with power on my groundstrokes. I just kept adding lead to it until I could hit really well with it on all strokes, but just finally got tired of messing with the lead. I gave it to my son, and he hit great with it. If it was a 12 oz racket, it would be the equal of the PT280 to me. However, for my son, it was great the way it was.