PDA

View Full Version : What differences do string patters/ string beds make??

stav_babolat
01-11-2008, 08:27 AM
Hi, what are the differences between a
.16x18 string pattern
.16x19
.16x20

Im just wondeirn coz my racket is 16x19, and ive just taken a babolat pure storm team for a demo, which is 16x20 and i just wanted to know what bonuses or differences these pattern make?

vandre
01-11-2008, 08:51 AM
generally speaking, the fewer strings (the more "open") a stringbed has, the more spin it will generate. the more strings (the more "dense") a strings has, the longer your strings will last. this is how it use to be in the "bad ole days" but i really don't know if this has changed. it is interesting that all of those choices have the same number of main strings and they add more cross strings.

it depends on how you play as to which one you want. if you use alot of topspin. if you get enough spin out of the 16x20 and its worth it to you to get more mileage out of your strings, maybe thats the way to go. however, if you want more spin potential and you aren't a big string breaker, it might be good to look at the 16x18 or 16x19.

if you have 3 different serves you use, make sure you take some of each type with the sticks you're demoing (i'm sure you will). i've got a yonex rds 003 that i can hit a monster kick serve with but it turns the flat serve into a spin serve. it will kinda do the slice serve. although, this might have more to do with the frame's weight distribution than the stringbed...

bottom line, have fun and hope this helps!

robby c
01-11-2008, 12:30 PM
Also, oversize racquets with open pattern exaggerate spin as compared to smaller head racquets. It all depends on what you like.
I prefer 18 mains for oversize(110) and midplus(98-102).
With mids(90-95) 16 x18,19,or20 crosses it isn't as vital to tame trampoline.
Mostly it's personal preference. Demo before buying.
I've got a fever for Spring League Tennis.
Robby C

VGP
01-11-2008, 01:24 PM
Research shows that it makes no difference.

PackardDell
01-11-2008, 01:40 PM
Research shows that it makes no difference.

interesting, where can we read the research?