PDA

View Full Version : Removing PC600 Grip Pallets - ?

retrowagen
01-11-2008, 11:30 AM
Hello,

I am planning on doing some racquet tuning in the next week or so and need to swap pallets between various Head Prestige Classic 600's... the version with the plastic grip collar.

Now, I know how to remove a grip and I know one removes the butt cap next, but from there, what's the best method to remove a PC600 pallet without destroying it or damaging the frame? The pallet itself is a very dense, light foam and it's held on on all sides by a very sticky two-sided adhesive tape, installed at the factory.

It looks as though one begins by splitting the pallet into its constituent halves - there's an obvious seam along two edges - but at that point, would it be best to apply heat (from a heat gun? Or a gas burner?) evenly to make the adhesive beneath more malleable? And then take a very thin but stiff blade to loosen the pallet halves from the frame? I've tried to prise the pallet off, unheated, with a stiff blade, but even with the most delicate and subtle work, it really appeared too risky that I'd break off a hunk of pallet and thus I stopped.

Can anyone shed light on what works best? Much obliged. :)

kbui
01-11-2008, 11:35 AM
Definately take a blow dryer to the pallet to heat it, the glue will come off easier too.

Good luck!

OnyxZ28
01-11-2008, 08:37 PM
It's hit or miss too -- if the pallets are on bad shape then they might be too brittle to remove. It's also easier to do with bigger grip sizes. I tried taking off the pallets on a couple of 4 1/4 sticks and the material was so thin that just putting a blade between the half splintered them.

m1stuhxsp4rk5
03-30-2008, 08:56 AM
is it possible to take a 4 5/8 grip and changing it to a 4 1/2 size grip? do you just change the pallets?

80'stennis
03-30-2008, 05:31 PM
I'd like to know too. Or is it better to just shave the pallet down?

Do Prestige racquets with different grip sizes have different specs? Like some Yonexes? Or are they the same only with different sized pallets?

retrowagen
03-30-2008, 07:34 PM
I'd like to know too. Or is it better to just shave the pallet down?

Do Prestige racquets with different grip sizes have different specs? Like some Yonexes? Or are they the same only with different sized pallets?

At this point in time, it seems that finding replacement pallets is very difficult. It might be easier to shave down a large pallet to smaller size, but to do it accurately is difficult.

With the Head Prestige frames (PC600 in my case), the frames are mostly the same spec, only with various pallet sizes. However, over the years, the Prestige Classic 600 became lighter in its standard weight overall, as it went through its different versions to the last.