PDA

View Full Version : How many backup racquets do you have?

rhqnf
01-11-2008, 06:46 PM
Currently I have one main racquet and 2 backup racquets and they are the same model.

Since I don't break my string that often, I don't think I need more backups..

But the racquet is discontinued.. and I'm wondering if I should get few more racquets...

I just want you guy's opinions~ thx

meowmix
01-11-2008, 06:54 PM
You should probably read Jollyrodger's guides. They're stickied to the top of the forum. You'll find all the info you need there.

DY3K1D
01-11-2008, 07:03 PM
i have 3 backups and one main (all same) also have another brand with 2 backups and 1 main.

rhqnf
01-11-2008, 07:25 PM
oh.. i think my language was confusing..

when i said i don't know if i should get a 'new backup racquet,' I was talking about the same model as I'm using.

and... even though it is discontinued, i can still get an used one.. u know

thx for the thread

hoodjem
01-11-2008, 07:31 PM
Four total.

As I see it, one of the advantages of having several racquets is that I can experiment comparatively with different strings, tensions and grips.

racquet_jedi
01-11-2008, 07:42 PM
I have one main and two backups (two of my racquets are my main sticks and the other one is a recreational frame that I hand out as a loner)...

If I were you, I would get as many brand new frames as you can, if they're only available used, then you can hold off on those until you wear out the actual frame...

My racquet is discontinued too...

shell
01-11-2008, 08:14 PM
Depends on:
1) string breaker
2) play tournaments
3) how quickly you can get a stick restrung
4) how unavailable is your current racquet, and how in love with it are you

I think 4 is a good number for most rec. tournament players. But if you love that racquet and are worried about availability, then get a few more.

LanEvo
01-11-2008, 08:19 PM
i play with four racquets, where i just rotate between them, but if im playing a match i use the racquet for the mood that i am in that day like if im feeling really crappy ill use my leaded up OS, but if im feeling good ill use my regular MP

bad_call
01-11-2008, 08:23 PM
i have 2 same model racquets that i alternate. so only 1. don't want to stock up in case i get run over by a truck and then have these racquets laying around that won't get used.

Pro_Tour_630
01-11-2008, 08:33 PM
I have two matched tree branchs that I chopped down and molded them into tennis racquets and tied them with my lawn mower weed wacker for when i beat all the 4.0's and below that I play with.

I am a macho dude and can play with just about anything:oops:

WBF
01-11-2008, 08:42 PM
Man, just read through j0lly's thread (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=127992)

Carl needs 16 racquets? Holy crap!

What's the most you've ever broken j0lly? Back when I was more interested in blasting everything as hard as I could, I couldn't even break 3 in a day at a tourney (or training)!

I personally have 3 racquets total (identical obviously). Owning a stringer, and not traveling by plane, (the stringer goes everywhere if I'm playing tennis and driving!) this works out perfectly.

MomentumGT
01-11-2008, 08:44 PM
I have 6 m-fil 300's currently and have 4 Head Premiere Tours from when I played college ball.

-Jon

nickarnold2000
01-11-2008, 08:48 PM
I think the reason that he needs so many sticks is that he doesn't have easy access to stringing. I read that Fed travels with about 10 -12 frames but they're being re-strung everyday so he can get away with a smaller number.

Doc Hollidae
01-11-2008, 11:54 PM
Currently have 1, but 2 backups would be ideal. One at normal tension and 1 higher for more control or serve and volleying.

roller~
01-12-2008, 12:09 AM
1~2.
It's enough.

Automatix
01-12-2008, 12:39 AM
Currently I always take with me at least 3 i.Prestiges and something special like my Dunlop MW 200G 90 :)

nickb
01-12-2008, 05:26 AM
Have 6 of the same total...when I used soft strings I would rotate as they would break every 6ish hours play...now I use poly so I just use it until it goes dead...string up a new job and move the dead strings to the back.

jazar
01-12-2008, 06:20 AM
i have 4 of the same racket, all the same weight and balance, but mine are also out of production. i do, however, have a source of several more for if i ever need them

jayserinos99
01-12-2008, 07:12 AM
When I used the PSC6.1, I'd like at least 3 because I used to snap strings regularly for that frame. I still use 3 as a baseline measure for frames that I plan on switching to; 2 strung with natural gut hybrid and 1 strung with a multi or syn gut for those wet weather days.

Zhou
01-12-2008, 08:30 AM
I am planning to get to get another APDC so I will have 3 APDC.

BMG
01-12-2008, 08:33 AM
Three of the same racquet. Sometimes I play around with the string setup on one of them just for laughs. I play about 3-4 times per week with a few tournaments in the summer and do not tend to break strings too quickly. Three frames have been about right.

PBODY99
01-12-2008, 09:38 AM
I consider a set of three frames enough for my playing style and string use pattern. I have five identical frames currently, two reserved for trying out new strings.

bluetrain4
01-12-2008, 12:28 PM
I have 3 of the same model. The reason for me is that I can go longer between restringing. Once 2 sets of strings are broken, or 1 is broken and 1 set is close, then I bring 2 to get restrung.

It's really not because I'm worried that I will break 2 sets of strings at a tourney, since I am good about having fresh strings when it matters.

But, here is a bit of paranoia involved. I was once playing a tournament years ago when I only used two racquets. My first one broke the day before the tournament. So, i brought my remaining one and my friend's $25 K-mart model as a backup. Well, my strings broke while I was ahead in the match and the backup was horrible. I ended up losing the match. So, I always had three from then on and always make a big deal about getting them strung close to when I'm playing a tourney.

PROTENNIS63
01-12-2008, 01:45 PM
I currently have 3 racquets in total. I used to play with gut, so would have 2 racquets strung with gut, and then 1 backup with full poly. I got tired though switching my racquets every time it would rain. The playing characteristics between the two setups are heavily different.