PDA

View Full Version : Agassi Lendl 1993

J011yroger
01-12-2008, 04:32 AM
I loved this vid because as big a hitter as Lendl was back in the day, watching this, you can hear the difference between when he hits the ball and when AA hits.

Just shows how much hurt young AA put on the ball, the "BLAT" that his ball gives off makes Lendl look like a candy ***.

Then again IL was 33ish, so maybe he had more steam in his younger days, but I doubt it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XU-RrPplZI

J

Nickognito
01-12-2008, 04:47 AM
i don't doubt it

ohlori
01-12-2008, 05:17 AM
I loved this vid because as big a hitter as Lendl was back in the day, watching this, you can hear the difference between when he hits the ball and when AA hits.

Just shows how much hurt young AA put on the ball, the "BLAT" that his ball gives off makes Lendl look like a candy ***.

Then again IL was 33ish, so maybe he had more steam in his younger days, but I doubt it.

J

Jimmy Connors thought that Lendl had more steam in his younger days when he lost to him at the 1992 Us Open:

http://www.asapsports.com/show_interview.php?id=16333

NEW YORK CITY, NEW YORK

Q. Jimmy, as we saw the game, the errors, you made a lot of unforced errors. You know?

JIMMY CONNORS: Nobody is perfect. I was the one forcing the action. He just stayed out there and bunted the ball back. I was the one that was being aggressive and forcing the action. So I guess when you do that, then you are going to make a few more errors. I don't think I played too badly.

Q. He feels very comfortable on the baseline and you never tried to pull him to the net-- JIMMY CONNORS: It is like pulling teeth. He just refuses to come in. He doesn't play anything like he used to. Before, he used to come over that backhand. Now, you know, talking to Vitas, he said he almost plays with fear now, just to bunt the ball back. He is satisfied with bunting the ball back, which is different than the way he used to play. He used to come over the ball and whack it from the baseline. I don't think he does that much anymore. But pulling him in, I was hitting balls short enough with some angle only to bring him in. He refuses to come.

Lendl also played very poorly during this period, losing to Doug Flach, Robbie Weiss and retiring in the first round of the Us Open.

J011yroger
01-12-2008, 05:22 AM
Very cool.

Anyone know what bat he was using in these later days?

J

superman1
01-12-2008, 10:51 AM
Lendl also played very poorly during this period, losing to Doug Flach, Robbie Weiss and retiring in the first round of the Us Open.

Really? He was higher ranked than Agassi in this match. And Connors complained about Lendl bunting the ball for different reasons than you think. Look at their head-to-head. If Lendl was bunting the ball against Connors and giving him no rhythm, that's apparently all he needed to do to win.

NoBadMojo
01-12-2008, 11:03 AM
I dont know that is the case. I remember walking by the practice courts at Cincy one year wondering who was hitting the ball so hard because the sound was so much bigger than anyone else practicing...it was Lendl. I think he hit the forehand harder than anyone back then in his prime.
I think Agassi was perhaps the first to thump it from both sides that way as Seles was on the female side.
I also remember the 'bunting' match...Connors was just being an *** wad. We were laughing because Lendl certainly wasnt bunting the ball. he was frustrating Connors however because he was slicing low backhands to the Connors forehand and Connors never did like that because of the weird forehand grip he had for a flattish ball striker. why more people didnt exploit that the way lendl did escapes me

urban
01-12-2008, 11:11 AM
Lendl was 8-0 or something over Agassi, before he turned 31. Seems he has far more steam.

superman1
01-12-2008, 11:15 AM
You mean 6-0.

I'll take 31 year old Agassi over 31 year old Lendl. Maybe even 35 year old Agassi over 31 year old Lendl.

stormholloway
01-12-2008, 11:21 AM
You mean 6-0.

I'll take 31 year old Agassi over 31 year old Lendl. Maybe even 35 year old Agassi over 31 year old Lendl.

Of course you would. Agassi hit his prime very close to 31. Lendl peaked much earlier.

CyBorg
01-12-2008, 12:04 PM
Lendl's back problems took a lot out of him. But he was a decent player in his last couple of years on the tour anyways.

But unlike Agassi he didn't go into hybernation for two years in the middle of his career. He never took a year off.

laurie
01-12-2008, 12:15 PM

J

I have to admit having watched this video, I don't quite understand how this conclusion was reached.

superman1
01-12-2008, 01:39 PM
I agree. Lendl looks like he's hitting harder than Agassi there, except for that one point where he tries all of these funky spins and gets whooped. Most of these highlight vids on youtube have someone playing against Agassi, and the majority of points will be ones that Agassi lost, even if he won in straights.

bluetrain4
01-12-2008, 05:11 PM
Agassi maybe hit a little bit harder and more of his rally backhand were harder, but the put away winners and a lot of other shots were pretty similar.

I don't see a huge gap there.