PDA

View Full Version : Wash a racquet?

lukarf
01-12-2008, 07:17 AM
The whole stencil ink bottle fell on my jeans and K90. So I had to wash it all to not make it become pink. Even the leather grip is wet now tough the racquet is dry. But now my question is: will there be any problem or consequence for what I've done? IDK, like will I be able to use it without problems or I'll just have to throw it away?

lukarf
01-12-2008, 07:27 AM
BTW, since the water went on the strings too, will it affect their playbility or durability? It's a full job of Babolat XCel 16...

Blade0324
01-12-2008, 07:31 AM
Wow that really sucks sorry to hear about it. So the leather grip will probably need to be replaced as it will probably get hard once it dries. The racquet should be fine but the strings will not. I would absolutely cut the strings out and restring.

deme08
01-12-2008, 07:33 AM
I wouldn't think you need to throw away the racquet, you may however need to change the strings. Leather grip will be fine too once its dry unless you can't stand the ink stain.

deme08
01-12-2008, 07:33 AM
:) someone beat me to it.

lukarf
01-12-2008, 07:39 AM
Wow that really sucks sorry to hear about it. So the leather grip will probably need to be replaced as it will probably get hard once it dries. The racquet should be fine but the strings will not. I would absolutely cut the strings out and restring.

Man, are you sure? The stringjob is fresh. I restrung past wednesday :(

lukarf
01-12-2008, 07:50 AM
Don't this strings come with a coat? I don't really want to waste them sice in Italy they're are pretty expensive (40 bucks) :(

lukarf
01-12-2008, 07:58 AM
Please answer. I bought this stick a month ago. It would really hurt me (and my wallet) to change 'cause I won't have enough money to replace it 'til March. :-?

PBODY99
01-12-2008, 08:49 AM
Please answer. I bought this stick a month ago. It would really hurt me (and my wallet) to change 'cause I won't have enough money to replace it 'til March. :-?
If you have a acetone based stencil ink like in the US,, then you need to not worry about the frame. If it is water based it is even less of a frame issue. The strings you can wipe down with a non-acetone nail polish remover if you want to get some of the ink off the string bed. A leather grip will clean up the same way but the feel may not be to your liking.

lukarf
01-12-2008, 09:00 AM
The strings you can wipe down with a non-acetone nail polish remover if you want to get some of the ink off the string bed. A leather grip will clean up the same way but the feel may not be to your liking.

Thanks.
Do you think it will work even on the frame? Because the ink got on the grommets too.

BTW The ink is "Wilson Poly Ink"

hawaiirgv
01-12-2008, 09:16 AM
Stencil ink in strictly cosmetic. your gear should be fine. as you hit, most of the ink on the string bed will get rubbed off. You may have some tennis balls that will be heavily colored but these should not be any need to replace the strings

lukarf
01-12-2008, 09:22 AM
Stencil ink in strictly cosmetic. your gear should be fine. as you hit, most of the ink on the string bed will get rubbed off. You may have some tennis balls that will be heavily colored but these should not be any need to replace the strings

Thanks this really makes me happy :). It's been a bad day cause even my 100$ Levi's is quite red now. :?

lukarf
01-12-2008, 11:34 AM
Any other opinion?

HyperHorse
01-12-2008, 11:55 AM
Red Jeans?
Awesome!!!!
Could you take a photo of your new look jeans??
PLEASE!??!!??!?!?

lukarf
01-12-2008, 12:23 PM
Red Jeans?
Awesome!!!!
Could you take a photo of your new look jeans??
PLEASE!??!!??!?!?

Maybe later. Now it's outside 'cause I tried to clean it :D.

lukarf
01-12-2008, 12:58 PM
Anyway any other idea about how can I remove ink mark from the grommets and the stick?

LanEvo
01-12-2008, 01:39 PM
try rubbing alcohol on the grommets and stick, but rub hard

LanEvo
01-12-2008, 01:40 PM
Thanks this really makes me happy :). It's been a bad day cause even my 100$ Levi's is quite red now. :?

yea im sry about the jeans because thats half a k90 right there

lukarf
01-12-2008, 11:54 PM
try rubbing alcohol on the grommets and stick, but rub hard

Thanks.
Do you think I could rub the strings too?

vndesu
01-13-2008, 12:12 AM
no. even though theres a coating on your strings water will effect its play.
cutting them will be the best idea unless you want your racket to get damage.

a friend of mines played in the rain with his pure srive and when he snapped the strings the frame broke.
im not saying your racket will break but the playability of the strings are really gonna suck..

and is it really 40 bucks for xcels???
for here in the us they run for 15 and +10 for labor

srry to hear about this.
how did your racket turn out can we get a pic?

Bud
01-13-2008, 12:16 AM
I think your strings will be fine. Don't cut them out unless they break. I've never heard of water damaging nylon, poly or kevlar strings.

lukarf
01-13-2008, 12:32 AM
no. even though theres a coating on your strings water will effect its play.
cutting them will be the best idea unless you want your racket to get damage.

a friend of mines played in the rain with his pure srive and when he snapped the strings the frame broke.
im not saying your racket will break but the playability of the strings are really gonna suck..

and is it really 40 bucks for xcels???
for here in the us they run for 15 and +10 for labor

srry to hear about this.
how did your racket turn out can we get a pic?

http://img443.imageshack.us/img443/8679/dscn1149pn4.jpg

http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/1899/dscn1148jh3.jpg

http://img168.imageshack.us/img168/9708/dscn1147bd8.jpg

Now it's pretty fine with the paint except for the grommets and the strings. I've been brushing it for quite an hour because the throat turned to pink :)
But what I'm worried about is its playbility so that I sent a mail to Wilson customer service. Thanks for interesting and if you have any other tips don't hesitate to let me know.

vndesu
01-13-2008, 05:38 AM
dang that does look pretty good.
racket seems fine maybe consider on buying new grommets and headguard just in case ink somehow messes it up.

for string wise just be careful, if playability sucks just get new strings

Sixpointone
01-13-2008, 06:19 AM
Glad to hear that you were able to clean up your Racquet, :).

robmachado23
01-13-2008, 08:01 AM
Ha this sounds all to fimiliar. This summer I was trying to put the W on my KFactor when the bottle bursted open going all over my frame and shorts. I used some nail polish and got a little of the ink off of the frame. But there is still a lot on there. For the strings, they should be good.

lukarf
01-13-2008, 11:10 AM
Ha this sounds all to fimiliar. This summer I was trying to put the W on my KFactor when the bottle bursted open going all over my frame and shorts. I used some nail polish and got a little of the ink off of the frame. But there is still a lot on there. For the strings, they should be good.

Looks like these things are defective. I will curse them 'til the death :D

leonardtay
01-13-2008, 02:46 PM
By burst open, do you mean that the screw head came off or did the bottle break? I have never had this happen and I have gone through maybe 10 bottles of Wilson ink to date...