PDA

View Full Version : Yonex cabonex 8

hawaiirgv
01-12-2008, 09:12 AM
Anyone know where I could find an old wooden racquet called a Yonex Carbonex 8. It was a standard size wood frame with a black shaft that I believe were graphite overlay's. this racquet was popular back in the late 70's, early 80's

galain
01-12-2008, 01:24 PM
I've seen quite a few at various times up for auction. Keep an eye out for them - they do seem to come up and go for next to nothing.

Umm - not sure if it's wood though. A friend of mine had one. IIRC it was either a fibre composite or an alloy.

hawaiirgv
01-12-2008, 02:25 PM
Thanks for the info. I know that the head is wood and I was pretty sure that the only graphite on the racquet was the overlay on the shaft... But you may be right. I've looked on e bay several times and have never seen on. Any other auction site you guys use?

Rabbit
01-12-2008, 02:47 PM
I believe they were wood and used by Martina Navratilova and Andres Gomez... they were cool looking frames.

vsbabolat
01-12-2008, 02:56 PM
I believe they were wood and used by Martina Navratilova and Andres Gomez... they were cool looking frames.

Yes the Yonex Carbonex line of racquets was wood and graphite. Navratilova used one I don't know if Gomez used one. I do have a poster of Gomez using the Rossignol RS. The Rossignol RS is a standard sized mono shaft racquet with graphite sandwiched between two sheets of aluminum.

Here is a Yonex Carbonex 2
http://80s-tennis.com/pages/carbonex-2_1.html

Rabbit
01-12-2008, 03:00 PM
Yes the Yonex Carbonex line of racquets was wood and graphite. Navratilova used one I don't know if Gomez used one. I do have a poster of Gomez using the Rossignol RS. The Rossignol RS is a standard sized mono shaft racquet with graphite sandwiched between two sheets of aluminum.

Here is a Yonex Carbonex 2
http://80s-tennis.com/pages/carbonex-2_1.html

I think Gomez was swinging a Yonex when he played Connors at the US Open back in '82ish. That was the first real exposure Gomez had in the US and I thought for sure he was playing with the Carbonex.

BJK used one as well didn't she?

cadfael_tex
02-02-2008, 04:42 PM
Message sent.

Playing again
09-17-2008, 09:03 PM
This was my first real racket. It cost $160.00, in 1978. It was great racquet. The balance was perfect. I used Yonex string since my style of play was geared toward clay. Alot of slices and spin. Unfortunaly I no lonfer have the racquet.

superstition
09-17-2008, 09:38 PM
I had one of these from the auction site but accidentally left it at a court and it disappeared.