PDA

View Full Version : LF Suggestions for demos (replacing RDX 500 MP)

ChrisNC
01-12-2008, 04:15 PM
I'm currently using the Yonex RDX 500 MP. I like it OK, but I think I let my ego do the shopping last time and I just don't play well enough to handle the low-powered raquet. I've tried lowering the tension and such, but I think the time has come to try other things.

I wanted to try the RDS 003, but the local shop doesn't have a demo, so I tried the RDS 001 and 002 Tour. The Tour felt like hitting with a board (granted, I think it's strung pretty tight) and the 001 just didn't do anything for me (can't really say what).

I'm going to order a demo of the RDS 003 from TW, but would like to demo at least 2 at a time.

I want something fairly similar, but with a little more umph, a tweener really. I think I'd like to stick to an open string pattern, nothing more than 100" head, and defninitely head light. I'm not necessarily stuck on Yonex, so whatever comes to mind.

I play all court, with a lot of spin, 3.5 level.

Thanks!

racquet_jedi
01-12-2008, 04:57 PM
Yonex Nanospeed RQ 7 Midplus
Wilson KSurge
Wilson KSix-One Team
Wilson nTour/nTour Two
Babolat Pure Drive
Babolat Pure Storm
Tecnifibre TFlash 290
Dunlop Aerogel 500/Aerogel Tour 500

These are just a few that you may want to consider, there are more...

Would you rather spend $20 to try out 2 racquets or $24 to try out 4 at the same time?

Also, don't be discouraged by the KSurge, Wilson actually lists it as 1 pt. Headlight on their official site...

ChrisNC
01-12-2008, 05:34 PM
Would you rather spend $20 to try out 2 racquets or $24 to try out 4 at the same time?

If that's the difference, then definitely 4 at a time.

Thanks. I'll check those out.

racquet_jedi
01-12-2008, 05:45 PM
Actually for me, it was about $20 for my 3 demos, I live in Washington state...

You can type in your zipcode and they can calculate your shipping for you when you're checking out your demos...

Good luck and have fun!

Kevo
01-12-2008, 06:58 PM
I've yet to hit with a modern frame that I would call low powered. I mean there are some that are lower powered than others, but nothing I've tried so far is all that low powered. I think that the strings and stringing will make more of a difference than the frame. If you want something high powered in your RDX, try X-1 Biphase at 60 lbs. on a constant pull machine. Man that string was a launcher. Technifibre 515 was also quite the tennis slingshot.

Of course the RDS 003 is a very nice frame, so it might be worth a demo anyway but I thought the RDX 500 was a very nice frame with plenty of oomph in it.

NLBwell
01-12-2008, 08:21 PM
If you want something with quite a bit more power you could go to the Prince Black or even the White.

LanEvo
01-12-2008, 09:03 PM
i just found out it only costs me $11.50 to demo four stick from tw, what a deal

Maestro Nalbandian
01-12-2008, 10:55 PM
The obvious replacement for RDX500 MP if you are after more power is RDS001 MP. It hits crisper than the heavier 002 Tour and is more maneuverable.

Another good upgrade would be RQiS 1 Tour.

Noveson
01-12-2008, 11:17 PM
The obvious replacement for RDX500 MP if you are after more power is RDS001 MP. It hits crisper than the heavier 002 Tour and is more maneuverable.

Another good upgrade would be RQiS 1 Tour.

Seriously could you try reading the post, maybe just a little? He said right in the top that he didn't like the 001.

P8ntballa
01-12-2008, 11:42 PM
As a 001 user that would have been my recomendation but if ur after more pop the o3 SP Tour gave me some added power when I demoed it but only if u string it with the string port not the string hole which I found greatly reduced feel although it is a fairly forgiving stik, the RQiS 1Tour and 2Tour are also suppose to be very good, Ive demoed the 1tour and loved it but unfortunantly it gave me some arm problems and at higher tensions it is very low powered ie 58lbs+ while I like this you may not, never hit with the tour2but heard its pretty good, the last racquet I would have to reccomend is the ExtremePRO MG by head a little to powerful for my taste but an over-all great all-court stik

PS The ExtremePRO beats out the Pure Drive Roddick in every way with the exception of power (the one thing I hated about the Roddick its power or excessive power)

DEMO THEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

P8ntballa
01-12-2008, 11:46 PM
If you want something with quite a bit more power you could go to the Prince Black or even the White.

The black is much more powerful then the white not to mention the white pro!

I dont think I would reccomend the black but both new SP Whites are very good and worth a demo.

joe1987
01-13-2008, 12:44 AM
You may want to try the Lm instinct. Its going cheap now.

Maestro Nalbandian
01-13-2008, 01:10 AM
Seriously could you try reading the post, maybe just a little? He said right in the top that he didn't like the 001.

maybe you should read his post again then read mine. He said 001 I recommended the midplus.

so I tried the RDS 001 and 002 Tour If he was meant to say rds 001 mp but omitted the mp part then its a misunderstanding.

Next time, why don't you offer some real advice on the topic instead of jumping in here and attack my post? how immature...

ChrisNC
01-13-2008, 07:59 AM
Thanks all.

I think my first batch of 4 will look like this:

Prince O3 Speedport White
Yonex RDS 003
Wilson K Factor KSurge
Yonex Nano Speed RQ 7 MP

netman
01-13-2008, 08:23 AM
The 003 is going to be significantly more powerful than the RDX 500. Be prepared. You'll find the RQ-7 MP to be much more flexible (conversely lower powered) than the 003 due to it having a thinner tip than throat. I would suggest you circle back on the 001 and get the MP. It plays like a slightly lower powered version of the 003. For example, I had to string the 003 at 62 mains, 60 crosses with poly and still had trouble keeping the ball in the court without lots of spin. I play my 001 MPs at 55/52 with different polys on the mains and crosses, and can wail away on the ball with great control and with only a slight decrease in power from the 003.

All Yonex frames are very sensitive to the string and tension used, so keep that in mind as you demo. Took me several strings, tensions and string jobs to find the right combo on both the 001 and 003 frames. The demos from Yonex typically come strung at the mid-point with Yonex 850 which is an average syn gut at best.

-k-

ChrisNC
01-13-2008, 08:48 AM
The 001 I tried was the MP, but I couldn't really determine what didn't feel right. I did not check the tension on that one, so maybe I'll give that another spin with a different tension. Thanks :-)

ChrisNC
01-13-2008, 08:50 AM
On a side note...is TW pretty quick to ship out demos?

Kevo
01-13-2008, 09:04 AM
The demos from Yonex typically come strung at the mid-point with Yonex 850 which is an average syn gut at best.

-k-

The Yonex 850 is a multi and it is well above average IMO. The 850 Pro was one of only 3 strings I've used for any length of time over the past 3 years. I've tested at least 30 and probably closer to 50 strings in that time. It's only problem for me, which happens to be common to all multis, is durability.

deme08
01-13-2008, 09:32 AM
The 001 I tried was the MP, but I couldn't really determine what didn't feel right. I did not check the tension on that one, so maybe I'll give that another spin with a different tension. Thanks :-)

Like Maestro Nalbandian and Netman have suggested you should give the 001 MP another try then tell us more of what you like and don't like about it. Personally I wouldn't switch to 003 from 500 MP as they are hugely different in the power department. You would spray balls everywhere if you got use to hitting with the 500 MP. However you would not lose control like that with the 001 MP.

Noveson
01-13-2008, 12:32 PM
maybe you should read his post again then read mine. He said 001 I recommended the midplus.

If he was meant to say rds 001 mp but omitted the mp part then its a misunderstanding.

Next time, why don't you offer some real advice on the topic instead of jumping in here and attack my post? how immature...

He also omitted the 001 MID, so you really had no idea. And if he hated either of the 001s that much, most likely he will not like the other one.

racquet_jedi
01-13-2008, 12:54 PM
On a side note...is TW pretty quick to ship out demos?

TW does not ship on weekends or holidays and you have to place your order usually before 10 AM or so...

So, if you ordered it on a Monday before 10, it would ship out on monday, it takes another shipping day, and you could count on it arriving on Wednesday...

It takes two days for the racquets to reach you...

However, if you placed your order on Monday after 10, it would not ship until Tuesday, which would mean it arrives on a Thursday...

netman
01-13-2008, 04:01 PM
The Yonex 850 is a multi and it is well above average IMO. The 850 Pro was one of only 3 strings I've used for any length of time over the past 3 years. I've tested at least 30 and probably closer to 50 strings in that time. It's only problem for me, which happens to be common to all multis, is durability.

Using it in a demo that gets a lot of use is probably a bad idea by Yonex. Guess I got a number of demos with a lot of mileage on them. They all felt dead. Glad I overlooked the string and gave the Yonexs a long term test drive.

netman
01-13-2008, 04:05 PM
He also omitted the 001 MID, so you really had no idea. And if he hated either of the 001s that much, most likely he will not like the other one.

The point is that he may have had a 001 demo with dead string. And BTW, the 001 MP plays a lot different from the Mid. Even though he tried the 001 MP, since he is looking at the 003, I still think it would be a good idea to try the 003 and 001 MP simultaneously. Especially coming from the RDX 500 line.

Kevo
01-13-2008, 07:32 PM
Using it in a demo that gets a lot of use is probably a bad idea by Yonex. Guess I got a number of demos with a lot of mileage on them. They all felt dead. Glad I overlooked the string and gave the Yonexs a long term test drive.

Well if you only played it in a demo that could certainly color your take on it. That's one reason I don't like demoing. You never know what kind of strings you're going to get and what shape they'll be in or tension they'll have.

orangettecoleman
01-13-2008, 09:19 PM
I played with the rdx 500 and found it a little too much for me as well. i ended up buying a couple of the dunlop m-fil 200 16x19s, putting leather grips on and weighting them up with 6 grams of tape at 3 and 9- very happy with them. a little more power and stability, slightly bigger sweet spot, and a tiny bit more maneuverable.

Alafter
01-13-2008, 10:00 PM
I'm currently using the Yonex RDX 500 MP. I like it OK, but I think I let my ego do the shopping last time and I just don't play well enough to handle the low-powered raquet. I've tried lowering the tension and such, but I think the time has come to try other things.

I wanted to try the RDS 003, but the local shop doesn't have a demo, so I tried the RDS 001 and 002 Tour. The Tour felt like hitting with a board (granted, I think it's strung pretty tight) and the 001 just didn't do anything for me (can't really say what).

I'm going to order a demo of the RDS 003 from TW, but would like to demo at least 2 at a time.

I want something fairly similar, but with a little more umph, a tweener really. I think I'd like to stick to an open string pattern, nothing more than 100" head, and defninitely head light. I'm not necessarily stuck on Yonex, so whatever comes to mind.

I play all court, with a lot of spin, 3.5 level.

Thanks!

Nblade OS.

Maestro Nalbandian
01-13-2008, 10:28 PM

lol looks like you are the one who has no idea. Read posts from netman and deme08. Please don't degrade this thread anymore with your useless comments.

ChrisNC
01-14-2008, 04:02 PM
Well, the local shop didn't have any of the ones I originally went in for, but had a demo of the Prince O3 speedport Black, so I gave it a whirl. I got two demos, one with each grommet type. I could definintely tell a difference between the two, but don't know which I liked better. I liked both. If I go with these, I may end up getting two of them and stringing one with each type and then decide after some extended play.

Noveson
01-14-2008, 06:47 PM
lol looks like you are the one who has no idea. Read posts from netman and deme08. Please don't degrade this thread anymore with your useless comments.

:rolleyes: Seeing as I owned and played with both of these frames for over a year, you would think I would have a pretty good idea. Since when does one opinion completely throw away the other, and who are you to decide which one is right?

Maestro Nalbandian
01-14-2008, 07:15 PM
:rolleyes: Seeing as I owned and played with both of these frames for over a year, you would think I would have a pretty good idea. Since when does one opinion completely throw away the other, and who are you to decide which one is right?

Another useless post:shock: What opinion or advice have you offered the op in regards to his question so far? How about nothing? All you did was claiming he hated the 001 MP which he clearly did not say. so you really had no idea. And if he hated either of the 001s that much, most likely he will not like the other one.

He said he it didn't feel right. What netman, deme08 and I were saying was he should reconsider trying the 001MP with a better string setup. As its the most suitable frame for someone who wants more power than the 500MP but still has a similar control and maneuverability.

And if you really have played with both frames for over a year you should know better that the 001 MP plays a lot different from the Mid. Otherwise, well, I don't know what kind of tennis you've been playing...

I hope this will be the last we hear from you in this thread unless you have something more constructive to add to the discussion.

Noveson
01-14-2008, 08:00 PM
Another useless post:shock: What opinion or advice have you offered the op in regards to his question so far? How about nothing? All you did was claiming he hated the 001 MP which he clearly did not say.

He said he it didn't feel right. What netman, deme08 and I were saying was he should reconsider trying the 001MP with a better string setup. As its the most suitable frame for someone who wants more power than the 500MP but still has a similar control and maneuverability.

And if you really have played with both frames for over a year you should know better that the 001 MP plays a lot different from the Mid. Otherwise, well, I don't know what kind of tennis you've been playing...

I hope this will be the last we hear from you in this thread unless you have something more constructive to add to the discussion.

:lol: What kind of tennis I've been playing? I'm top 50 in my state, is that bad tennis?

Anyway, my opinion is that the Mid and Mp are very close playing frames. Also, the RDX and 001 are vastly different beasts. Just because they are the same brand, does not mean they are similar playing sticks.

Anyway, this is getting ridiculous. If I were you, I would stay away from the 001, and I would look into the K/N 95. Both offer impressive control and are somewhat lighter. They also are more stiff, offering more power. Also look at something like the Fischer Magnetic Tour.

ChrisNC
01-15-2008, 07:59 AM
Well...thanks everyone. After my demo of the O3 Speedport Black (and the incredible deal I was given...damn near stole 'em), I went with two of them. I have one strung each way and will decide which grommet I like better.

netman
01-15-2008, 01:56 PM
Well...thanks everyone. After my demo of the O3 Speedport Black (and the incredible deal I was given...damn near stole 'em), I went with two of them. I have one strung each way and will decide which grommet I like better.

Glad it worked out. Somehow we all find a way to play well with racquets we get for a song. :) Keep your eye out for deals on used 003s on the TW Classifieds and on the auction sites. Then you can compare it to your Blacks. There is no substitute for a long term try out using your string and your tension. I do this all the time and can easily resell frames I don't like.

racquet_jedi
01-15-2008, 06:25 PM

Would you mind elaborating on this deal you got? I'm just interested in how much you got them for...