PDA

View Full Version : Tennis Channel Programming Suggestion ( Laver/Rosewall WCT 1972 Final )

thor's hammer
01-12-2008, 05:16 PM
While these two legends are still with us wouldn't it be great to get them in a studio and have them talk about their epic 1972 WCT final? That has got to be one of the most oft mentioned classic matches! If someone could dig up a tape of the entire match that would be fantastic, (maybe it's in a vault or safe somewhere), but even if the only thing available is the 25 minute highlight tape it would still be quite something for tennis fans.

Come to think of it maybe even a 3 or 4 part series with the two of them talking about their careers in tennis - Early years, Laver playing on anthill courts, etc, Hopman and Davis Cup, playing the greats of the 50's, Laver's slams, one entire show for the WCT 1972 match, end of their careers overlapping with Borg and Connors. Lots of video clips with them sharing their thoughts amd memories.

Wouldn't this be a fantastic treasure for all tennis fans! And love him or hate him, Bud Collins would have to be the host!

Comments?

Steve132
01-13-2008, 08:32 AM
Great idea. I would love to hear what they have to say about their long rivalry.

tacoben
01-13-2008, 04:29 PM
I've been watching the Tennis Channel for a while now. Chris Meyers does those one on one interviews, but mostly with today's current players. Laver and Rosewall would definitley be a scoop! I also wish that they show more of the older classic matches of years past.

thor's hammer
01-15-2008, 12:19 PM
Just came across this yesterday...

http://www.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,1703155,00.html

Timely. ;-)

hoodjem
01-16-2008, 03:17 PM
Here's a great Laver spun truth: "We didn't have the powerful rackets, you see. A lot of the artistry has been replaced by blasting away with groundstrokes."