PDA

View Full Version : How do you tell if a racket is fake

J-lob
01-13-2008, 04:50 AM
I live in a country called Brunei Darussalam and there isn't a dedicated tennis shop. there are only a few random stores that sell tennis rackets but i can't tell if it legit or not how do you tell?

J-lob
01-13-2008, 04:54 PM
th hologram sticker isn't like unlike into the racket unlike my prince o3 white. it like a sticker

couch
01-13-2008, 05:57 PM
I would think if you buy it from a store it's probably legit. The reason being is if you have a problem you can always go to the store.

I think where you run into a lot of fakes is on e b a y and places where you can't necessarily return it or track down the sellers.

I had a buddy who bought some Pure Drives and I could tell right away they were fake because they flexed like an old wood racquet. I told him to demo them at a local pro shop and he'd be able to tell the difference very quickly, which he did. LOL

tacoben
01-13-2008, 06:56 PM
I live in a country called Brunei Darussalam and there isn't a dedicated tennis shop. there are only a few random stores that sell tennis rackets but i can't tell if it legit or not how do you tell?

I'm suprised to hear that Brunei doesn't have a pro shop. I know that badminton is probably more popular there since the Prince of the Sultan was a national player at one time and competed in the ASEAN games. With the Sultan's money (was ranked as the richest person in the world about 12 years ago) I would think that Brunei could support an active tennis program. BTW, you have a beautiful county as I visited it a few years back.

J-lob
01-14-2008, 02:59 AM
thanks. but the economy isn't doing so well. and couch..........this is ASIA anything can be replicated. and the rackets have chinese word.........

J-lob
01-14-2008, 03:02 AM
sorry for the double post... the price for,let say an aeropro drive w/
cortex plus is about US$150??? and it looks like what it should

couch
01-14-2008, 06:43 AM
thanks. but the economy isn't doing so well. and couch..........this is ASIA anything can be replicated. and the rackets have chinese word.........

I know you are in ASIA. LOL Just because I live in the U.S. doesn't mean we don't have fake stuff too. Have you ever been to New York City? LOL Granted though, most, if not all, of our fake stuff is probably made in Asia too.

My point was that if you buy it from a store you can always take it back to "that" store. I would say most fakes are bought from shady people that you can never get back in touch with. You always buy the seller not the product if you have questions regarding authenticity. So if the buyer looks shady then don't buy it plain and simple.

The other point I made was the stiffness of the Pure Drives my friend bought that were obviously fake. They flexed like a wet noodle and the paint job was off and the bumper guards were off too. You could just look at those things and tell they were fake.

BaselinePlaya
01-14-2008, 07:15 AM
J-Lob, what racquet are you looking at buying, there are plenty of us on the boards who can help you try and distinguish a real vs fake racquet...

J-lob
01-14-2008, 07:18 AM
a babolat pure drive and a k-six one tour 90(federer one). some of the on i seen the sting holes are detachable should that be normal?

J-lob
01-14-2008, 07:23 AM
I know you are in ASIA. LOL Just because I live in the U.S. doesn't mean we don't have fake stuff too. Have you ever been to New York City? LOL Granted though, most, if not all, of our fake stuff is probably made in Asia too.

My point was that if you buy it from a store you can always take it back to "that" store. I would say most fakes are bought from shady people that you can never get back in touch with. You always buy the seller not the product if you have questions regarding authenticity. So if the buyer looks shady then don't buy it plain and simple.

The other point I made was the stiffness of the Pure Drives my friend bought that were obviously fake. They flexed like a wet noodle and the paint job was off and the bumper guards were off too. You could just look at those things and tell they were fake.

my aunt lives in ny... she tells me that she gotten a rolex for $50 and it still works after a hundred drops and 4 years......

AgassiGuy23
01-14-2008, 09:11 AM
a babolat pure drive and a k-six one tour 90(federer one). some of the on i seen the sting holes are detachable should that be normal?

Hey J-lob, shoot me an email, I have some information on some fakes as well as some tips for you at mjellisjr@gmail.com.