PDA

View Full Version : Will Dunlop Replace My Racquet?

choth21
01-13-2008, 08:41 AM
I have a couple of Aerogel 300 frames that I cracked (my grip was too slippery and the racquet slipped out of my hand when I served). I threw these into a closet and bought some replacement frames. however, I mentioned my story to a friend, and he said he thought Dunlop would replace them. I'm pretty skeptical, but was just wondering if anyone has been able to do this and who did you contact at Dunlop? I bought these privately, so I wouldn't be able to go to a store.

Thanks!

ChuDat
01-13-2008, 08:59 AM
when did you purchase your 300s? dunlop might replace your racquet, just tell them what happened. btw how did you crack both?

Rabbit
01-13-2008, 09:01 AM
I doubt any manufacturer would replace frames that broke due to reasons other than structural integrity. I would think this classifies as racket abuse even though it was a misphap, the frame broke due to reasons other than the frame.

LanEvo
01-13-2008, 09:07 AM
if u want just tell them that they cracked when u were stringing them or something

jazar
01-13-2008, 09:15 AM
i accidentally threw a racket on the floor whilst serving, cracking it on the throat. i sent it back to head, saying it was a manufacturing defect and neglecting to mention what really happened. they sent me a free, new racket.
so it does work, but i doubt it would work for more than 1 racket

herosol
01-13-2008, 09:21 AM
lol. replace one, and try getting a tackier grip son.

That's kind of crazy how you can crack more then one racket in the same way everytime....

choth21
01-13-2008, 11:07 AM
Lol. I just realized i wrote "replacement friends" in my 1st post. just edited it to say "frames".

Yeah, i bought a 12 pack of these Babolat overgrips that are terrible in the summer. I've been trying to get rid of them. But while I was using them, I broke my racquets the same way--while coming down on a serve, the racquet slipped out of my hand and hit the ground. a few weeks later, I did the same thing. I have the worst luck!

Hmm. Well right now my broken frames are just sitting in my closet. I think I will just try it out. The worst they can say is "No." I'll probably tell them it cracked while stringing.

Anyone have an address where I can send it to? Do I have to send it to the UK? That's the only address I could find on dunlopsports.com

iTennis
01-13-2008, 11:48 AM
If you are somehow associating the crack with manufacturing/ quality defects, which tend to have some repeatability, I would try for both sticks, assuming the crack is in similar condition. Sometimes you get lucky, courtesy of their customer service.

YULitle
01-13-2008, 11:50 AM
You usually have to go through a racket shop that sells Dunlop. They may charge you shipping. I would keep the story of you throwing the racket on the ground to yourself. And yes, you did throw it on the ground. Regardless of intent, the racket isn't warrantied to last through being thrown to the ground.

And, it doesn't matter how many you send back usually. If you are worried about it, send them in one at a time. It'll test the waters, and save you the shipping on the second one if they deny you.

BreakPoint
01-13-2008, 12:12 PM
I'll probably tell them it cracked while stringing.

I'm pretty sure they can can easily tell the difference between cracking from stringing and cracking from the frame violently hitting the ground with excessive force. For one thing, there would also be damage to the outside of the frame from where the frame made contact with the ground. I'm sure they check thousands of frames every year for signs of abuse so they'd know pretty well what to look for.

BTW, I think you may also need a receipt from an authorized dealer to prove that you bought it legitimately (rather than stealing it or buying it from the black market, etc.) and also to prove the date of purchase as most racquets only have a one-year warranty on them. However, since you said you bought them privately, I'm guessing that you don't have a receipt, right?

choth21
01-13-2008, 12:34 PM
However, since you said you bought them privately, I'm guessing that you don't have a receipt, right?

You're right.

sargeinaz
01-13-2008, 12:34 PM
I'm pretty sure they can can easily tell the difference between cracking from stringing and cracking from the frame violently hitting the ground with excessive force. For one thing, there would also be damage to the outside of the frame from where the frame made contact with the ground. I'm sure they check thousands of frames every year for signs of abuse so they'd know pretty well what to look for.

BTW, I think you may also need a receipt from an authorized dealer to prove that you bought it legitimately (rather than stealing it or buying it from the black market, etc.) and also to prove the date of purchase as most racquets only have a one-year warranty on them. However, since you said you bought them privately, I'm guessing that you don't have a receipt, right?

I was thinking the same thing. Nicely said.
________
SUZUKI GN SERIES HISTORY (http://www.suzuki-tech.com/wiki/Suzuki_GN_Series)

choth21
01-13-2008, 12:36 PM
You usually have to go through a racket shop that sells Dunlop. They may charge you shipping. I would keep the story of you throwing the racket on the ground to yourself. And yes, you did throw it on the ground. Regardless of intent, the racket isn't warrantied to last through being thrown to the ground.

And, it doesn't matter how many you send back usually. If you are worried about it, send them in one at a time. It'll test the waters, and save you the shipping on the second one if they deny you.

I have nothing to lose, so I think I might try it. I'm not in a super rush since I already replaced my frames. I'll probably try sending both and will just tell the story of what really happened. I'll let the board know if I try it and how it works out.

VGP
01-13-2008, 12:41 PM
Some of you guys are really dishonest.

"Nothing to lose," huh?

Sounds like you're willing to lose your integrity......and you've already lost my respect.

choth21
01-13-2008, 12:45 PM
Some of you guys are really dishonest.

"Nothing to lose," huh?

Sounds like you're willing to lose your integrity......and you've already lost my respect.

Integrity? Like I said in my last post, if I send the racquets back, I plan to tell the real story of how I cracked it and not try to make up a story. If Dunlop chooses to replace my racquets as a courtesy, then that's their choice. If they choose not to, then they can discard them, which I would have done anyway. I'm not concerned about the shipping costs.

Granted, of course, I don't know you, so I'm not really concerned whether I've lost your respect.

VGP
01-13-2008, 12:47 PM
Sorry.

I responded after reading a couple of other posts.....

If you tell them the truth, don't expect a replacement.

.....but I guess you can try.

max
01-13-2008, 12:47 PM
If you wish to, send them back, but have a sense of justice here, and explain exactly what happened. I would have moral reservations about even doing that: at a certain point in the chain of events, you are a moral actor and a factor causing the unfortunate event.

I'm bothering posting here because I feel in a lot of ways, especially in a consumer relationship, people are getting a bit too loose with blaming someone other than themselves.

choth21
01-13-2008, 12:52 PM
If you wish to, send them back, but have a sense of justice here, and explain exactly what happened. I would have moral reservations about even doing that: at a certain point in the chain of events, you are a moral actor and a factor causing the unfortunate event.

I'm bothering posting here because I feel in a lot of ways, especially in a consumer relationship, people are getting a bit too loose with blaming someone other than themselves.

Again, I have no expectations from Dunlop. And I'm not trying to blame anyone other than myself. I am fully aware that I abused the racquet.

I'm not going to post further in this thread because I'm tired of feeling the need to defend myself.

iTennis
01-13-2008, 01:16 PM

Agreed. Especially if they are very tight on warranty budget etc., they would look everything under the microscope to save the cost. But if the amount of returns are under budget and/ or customer service is something that they are trying to improve, the chance is that they would not even look at the stick and just send out a replacement. This happened to me a few times (products other than tennis racquets but) and I did not even have to generate any receipts.

As far as the incident, it is not like he threw the stick against the fence...slipping off the grip when serving, frame shots, little rubbing on low volleys could all be accounted for, so damages from such may be compensated, again depending on their mood.

This may not be a totally honest move, but given all kind of hypes and paint-job with pro's sticks from the racquet companies that are more often than not trying to fool us, you could call it even. Anyway they can always say no.

BreakPoint
01-13-2008, 01:24 PM
Agreed. That's why we have so many lawyers and lawsuits in our society. No one wants to take any personal responsibility anymore and would rather place the blame on someone else whenever anything goes wrong in our lives.

Just look at all the people who bought houses they knew they couldn't afford in the first place and now want to blame someone else that their mortgage rates have gone up as stated in their loan agreements. What part of adjustable rate mortgage did they not understand? :confused: Now the goverment wants to use our tax dollars to bail these people out. Unbelievable. If I bought a Ferrari that I couldn't afford, would the government also subsidize my auto loan so that I can keep the Ferrari? Somehow, I don't think so. What's the difference? Anyway, rant over. Sorry for the distraction.

hoodjem
01-13-2008, 01:26 PM
if u want just tell them that they cracked when u were stringing them or something

This would be lying.

Just tell the truth and see what happens. Either they will or they won't.

LanEvo
01-13-2008, 03:42 PM
hey i was just giving a reason, i wasnt encouraging him to lie or anything

choth21
11-09-2008, 02:32 PM
just as an update. I finally got around to sending these to Dunlop and wrote in a letter exactly what happened (racquet slipped out of my hand while serving), and Dunlop sent me replacements free of charge.

VGP
11-09-2008, 03:01 PM
Thanks for the update. Good to see things turned out in your favor without resorting to deception, like some others suggested.

More evidence that Dunlop's got good customer service.

ac3111
11-09-2008, 03:04 PM
I was going to ask what happened... and I saw your last post.
Hardly to believe that they sent you two replacement racquets free of charge when there was no manufacturing mistake or fault. Well if anyone has any broken dunlop racquet and doesn't need any replacement, please send it to me.

If the blame is on the babolat grip then they are the ones who should pay for your racquets replacement.

RFRF
11-09-2008, 03:06 PM
no chance in hell, iv dealt with them before!

VGP
11-09-2008, 03:16 PM
so.....what's their official policy?

Staiger
11-09-2008, 04:20 PM
just as an update. I finally got around to sending these to Dunlop and wrote in a letter exactly what happened (racquet slipped out of my hand while serving), and Dunlop sent me replacements free of charge.

Hi ! I got 3X AG300 as well , have you got the address for Dunlop and where can I send them to ? I cracked one of them during serving (I was being lazy and didnt bother changing the overgrip ) and 2 of of them are losing the paintwork on the sticks.

Thats customer service from Dunlop !
You should join the aerogel 300 appreciation society !!!

nickarnold2000
11-09-2008, 05:21 PM
What's going on with you guys? I've been playing tennis for 20+ years and have never had a frame slip out of my hand while serving! Mind you, I regularily change grips.

Tennisguy777
11-11-2008, 08:51 PM
If your grip is wet replace it or use another racquet until it dries! Also there is such a thing as towels I think the pros wipe their hands on every changeover and every couple of points correct me if I am wrong.

nickarnold2000
11-11-2008, 09:47 PM
The pros also start every match with new grips and then change rackets frequently so their grips probably don't have time to get wet! I think the towel bit is often part of their "routine" or "rituals" so they don't start the next point too quickly; kind of like using a re-set button.
For me, having a good firm, solid grip is vital for my game.

Irvin
11-12-2008, 04:45 AM
The pros also start every match with new grips and then change rackets frequently so their grips probably don't have time to get wet! I think the towel bit is often part of their "routine" or "rituals" so they don't start the next point too quickly; kind of like using a re-set button.
For me, having a good firm, solid grip is vital for my game.

LOL I guess you never watched Jimmy Conners play much. He had T2000 rackets with the leather grips worn so badly you could see the frame under the grip. Before he started a match he would pour water on the grip to get it wet and then blot it off with a towel.

BUT I would never do that or recommend anyone else try that. And yes that 'Towel Bit' was part of his ritual.

Irvin