PDA

View Full Version : Prince Precision Response 660

kissmyace
01-13-2008, 10:14 AM
I've got 3 of these racquets, to me the greatest frame in the world, but i've just weighed them for the first time and found one at 341, one at 349 and the last at 359. All are strung with Pro Hurricane and Prince Syn gut and with one over grip. I can't believe the descrepancy in weights from an era of higher manufactoring standards and a reputable company.
Does anyone else having any info or similar findings with these frames or indeed a similar spread of weights with over racquets/compaines?

Princegod
01-13-2008, 12:31 PM
Different manufacturing runs, and different manufacturing facilities are going to have different final product. Some companies have better quality control than others. Probably best way to see how different the weights really are is to have no strings with bare handle. Also worn bumper guard can make a slight difference.

Are they made in the same country, and are all the grip sizes the same? I believe some of these rackets were also made in Thailand as well as China, but not totally sure. Check your rackets to see where they were made.

Check this post.

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showpost.php?p=1977398&postcount=12

kissmyace
01-13-2008, 12:42 PM
They are all the same grip size and in almost new condition so nothing to account for an almost 20 gram difference!!!! They are all hologramed but the original small strickers that give a country of manufacture have long since gone!

Princegod
01-13-2008, 12:48 PM
Supposedly the Thai versions have a triangle at the top of the hoop where the center is, and the Thai version is supposed to be less headlight.

Edit. Meant to say less head light

kissmyace
01-13-2008, 02:19 PM
all 3 have circles at the centre mark of the hoop.

Princegod
01-13-2008, 02:34 PM
If you are second owner of any of these rackets, there is possibility of lead tape being under the handle/buttcap/grommets. Also a leather grip is heavier if you have one on any racket.

Otherwise it looks as if specs are rather sloppy between sticks, so only thing you can do is use some lead to even things out.

louis netman
01-13-2008, 07:11 PM
The Thai frames are waaay off spec. Much less HL and nothing you can do to make up for it. During the Beneton days and the pre-transition, things were pretty jacked up in QC. Thank the Heavens my custom Pat Rafter 660 experimentals at all EXACTLY the same specs!!! Phew!!! Kissmyace, you have one of them!!!

Princegod
01-13-2008, 08:42 PM
Louis which do you think is the Thai the heavy or light weight one?

kissmyace
01-13-2008, 10:45 PM
The 'Experimental' is one of the prizes of my collection, but definately not what i call a working frame. I play ALOT of tennis, 5-8 hours a day and use the 660's as my main racquet. I will strip the frames down and look for lead tape...good suggestion...other than that i may just have to live with the odd specs:???:

Princegod
01-13-2008, 11:23 PM
Love to see a photo of the Experimentals as I've never seen one. :)

louis netman
01-14-2008, 12:53 PM
Louis which do you think is the Thai the heavy or light weight one?

I had about 4 brand new 660s from Thailand that were all Princegod awfull heavy (felt headheavy)...sold them to a baseliner who swore by them...
BTW, I'd post the pics of my EXP's if I had a pic posting lesson...