PDA

View Full Version : Prince Black vs Prince White (RA factor)

tedescm1
01-13-2008, 02:24 PM
I own a Prince Black and also a Prince White. The RA rating on the White is 65 while the RA rating on the Black is 70. They are both strung with Gut at 58 pounds.

When I play with the racquets the stiffness feels very similar. In fact I would say the Black is more comfortable which defies logic and the RA factor.

I would think that a RA difference of 5 points would be more noticeable.

Can anyone shed some light on this subject?

YULitle
01-13-2008, 02:31 PM
Simple. The RA factor is not that noticeable. (to most people)

Katlion
01-13-2008, 02:36 PM
what's the RA factor?

psp2
01-13-2008, 05:57 PM
I own a Prince Black and also a Prince White. The RA rating on the White is 65 while the RA rating on the Black is 70. They are both strung with Gut at 58 pounds.

When I play with the racquets the stiffness feels very similar. In fact I would say the Black is more comfortable which defies logic and the RA factor.

I would think that a RA difference of 5 points would be more noticeable.

Can anyone shed some light on this subject?

You're comparing 2 different racquets. First, 5 pt. differential isn't that noticeable. With that said, the (SP) Black may flex differently than the (O2) White. I'm assuming you're talking about these 2 racquets.

rabidcow
01-13-2008, 06:38 PM
string ports vs string inserts, or whatever they are called, may have an impact

tedescm
01-14-2008, 05:07 AM
what's the RA factor?

It’s a scale used to describe the stiffness of a tennis racquet. If I can generalize….60 is flexible and 65 is stiff…above 65 if very stiff.

In today’s game, many popular racquets are stiff….provides more power.

tedescm
01-14-2008, 05:11 AM
You're comparing 2 different racquets. First, 5 pt. differential isn't that noticeable. With that said, the (SP) Black may flex differently than the (O2) White. I'm assuming you're talking about these 2 racquets.

Yes...I’m talking about the white and black

I thought a 5-point difference would be very noticeable. For example, a RA 60 racquet like the radical is considered and feels soft while the prince white at 65 feels quite stiff.

psp2
01-14-2008, 07:54 AM
Yes...I’m talking about the white and black

I thought a 5-point difference would be very noticeable. For example, a RA 60 racquet like the radical is considered and feels soft while the prince white at 65 feels quite stiff.

Again... you're trying to compare apples and oranges. You don't know where the flex point is on these racquets.

The Babolat RDC machine has a single set fulcrum point to test the flex of ALL racquets. The test simply spits out a number depending on how much the racquet head flexed at THAT fulcrum point.

A tennis racquet will flex differently during play.

tedescm
01-14-2008, 09:55 AM
Good Point...

In that case it's very difficult to use the RA across all racquests

grass_hopper
01-14-2008, 09:59 AM
the black is more stable and less flex, you should feel the flex of white while hitting ground strokes. you need longer swing for white to generate the same power as black. even thought prince says their power is the same which is NOT.

SFrazeur
01-14-2008, 10:13 AM
Here is the TW article on the Babolat RDC machine testing: http://av.warehousesports.com/tw/Features/RDC/RDC.html

-SF

tedescm
01-14-2008, 10:15 AM
the black is more stable and less flex, you should feel the flex of white while hitting ground strokes. you need longer swing for white to generate the same power as black. even thought prince says their power is the same which is NOT.

Just wondering...

The Prince black is thinner than the Prince white and one would expect the black to be more flexible.

I’ve used both and they feel the same to me. They both play stiff. So much, that I had to use gut to soften the racquet face. I agree with you when you say the Black is more powerful….it also feels more solid.