PDA

View Full Version : I Know This Is Probably Stupid>>>>>

yonexred2113
01-13-2008, 05:20 PM
I am going to replace my grommets and paint my rds-001 mp to look like the new rds 001...how in the world do i get my gromets and bumperguards out...after my strings are gone

YULitle
01-13-2008, 05:29 PM
Taking them out is easy. Just push some grommets out of the frame from the inside (around the throat) and then pull them out from the outside. Avoid using tools if you can. Sometimes you may need to cut flared grommets away to allow them to clear the graphite hole.

Putting new ones in is tricky if you don't do it right. Try to remember what you took out to see how they went back in. If I remember right, the RDS001 has 6 pieces total. Start with the easy one, the throat, pop that in. Then do the shoulders (near the throat). Then do the ones that are at 3 and 9 o'clock.

Now, you may want to heat up the bumperguard portion as it is notriously difficult to stretch across the upper hoop of the frame. But, start putting grommets in on one side. SLOWLY work your way across the hoop, pushing in grommet one at a time. You may like to use an awl to help guide the grommets into the holes. Don't force any. If you bend the grommet and it becomes disheveld it might be too wide to go in the graphite hole. After you get all the grommets in, string it, and the next time you should be able to take the strings out without the grommets coming loose.

Remember to take your time and be patient. If you feel your pulse rising, walk away. And try not to use tools, if you can. It's hard not to use an awl on the bumperguard part, but it's possible.

Good luck.

PS. If you happen to be in the North-Dallas area, I'll do it for you for free. :D

YULitle
01-13-2008, 05:30 PM
Oh, and it's not stupid.

What's stupid, is never replacing them and having your racket break from wear on the hoop and having to pay $200 for a new one instead of the $15 for the grommet/bumperguard kit.

tennisdarren
01-13-2008, 05:31 PM
Gently push them from the inside out, you can trim off the flaired grommets with a razor blade (carefully as not to damage the frame), then you can pull them out with little effort. You must use a new grommet set when you restring it.

tennisdarren
01-13-2008, 05:33 PM
YUlitle, It seems that we look at the "help me" threads a lot. :)

YULitle
01-13-2008, 05:35 PM
Hah, yeah. I'll help when help can be given. I tend to stay away from the "tell me what to buy" and "what tension should I use" threads. So subjective. Nothing better than the objectivity of a good 'ol how-to. :D

lecter255
01-13-2008, 10:25 PM
erm, you don't know how to pop out grommets and you want to repaint your racquet? are you sure you want to do this?