PDA

View Full Version : what to put in grip butt to add weight?

Arctic
01-13-2008, 07:16 PM
i know you use lead tape for the frame, but what do you put in the grip? does lead tape also work, and how would i go about doing so?

vndesu
01-13-2008, 07:18 PM
there are 2 ways.
the easy and difficult.

difficult is where you take the pallets off and add the lead tape on the inside of handle.

easy is to just add lead tape to outside on the wood under the replacement grip

Arctic
01-13-2008, 07:22 PM
what do you mean on teh outside on the wood? cant visualize where that is

Kevo
01-13-2008, 07:29 PM
If you have the trap door on the butt cap, you can add fishing weights. I like the 1/4 oz. egg shaped weights. If you don't have the trap door, then you can remove the grip and put the lead tape on the bare handle and then regrip as vndesu suggested.

Bud
01-13-2008, 08:10 PM
what do you mean on teh outside on the wood? cant visualize where that is

Well, these days pallets aren't wood... Pull your grip off and you'll see it. Placing a leather grip on a racquet, as opposed to synthetic will generally add about .5 oz. to the handle.

SFrazeur
01-13-2008, 08:17 PM
TW article on racquet lead customization: http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/LC/Customizing/customize.html

-SF

Arctic
01-13-2008, 08:36 PM
thanks SF =]

TheShaun
01-13-2008, 08:43 PM
i used pennies.

SonRK
01-13-2008, 08:48 PM
I wanted to put dimes in my Microgel Radical like I did in my MFil 300 but they don't fit. I had to put little screws in it to get to the weight that I wanted.

orangettecoleman
01-13-2008, 09:51 PM
Use a leather grip. They weigh a ton and make the racquet a lot more head light.

SFrazeur
01-13-2008, 09:59 PM
Yeah, leather can weigh 18, 20, 22 grams easy.

-SF

lecter255
01-13-2008, 10:17 PM
some people get blisters from leather grip though. and what if he's already using a leather grip?

i would say add either fishing lead weights or leadtape into the racquet handle after you pop open the trap door. adding leadtape to the handle deadens the feel, at least to me, and it enlarges the grip size. you can try it, but i am just letting you know some side effects it may have.

Deuce
01-14-2008, 12:30 AM
But if you actually want to feel a difference in balance, and not just a difference in overall weight, you'll have to add the weight behind where your hand is - not under your hand.
In other words, as close to the butt cap as possible.

For this purpose, I remove the butt cap and place coins in it using silicone as a glue. That way, they're easy to remove.

grass_hopper
01-14-2008, 06:30 AM
I opened the trap door(wilson, prince) have them, screwed long nails into foam inside the handle of wilson racquet. for prince you have to glue the screw since they are not foam filled.

stox
01-14-2008, 08:06 AM
You can also use tungsten rods if you're needing to add alot of weight or if you just have very little room but need more weight than lead will allow. If I remember correct tungsten is about 1/2 again as heavy as lead and they can be cut easily with a dremel tool. The rods are generally used for welding.

Arctic
01-14-2008, 10:40 AM
I have a volkl dnx 8 and im looking for some added stability on my shots. I have alot of racket headspeed on my forehand and generate alot of spin and sometimes when i hit it off center the recoil is unbearable.

I got the sticks two years ago, when I was 15 and since then I have gotten stronger and feel like the racquet is too light for me. I will play around with adding lead tape to different parts of the racquet and see what it does.

Thanks everyone who replied

Anton
01-14-2008, 11:16 AM
But if you actually want to feel a difference in balance, and not just a difference in overall weight, you'll have to add the weight behind where your hand is - not under your hand.
In other words, as close to the butt cap as possible.

For this purpose, I remove the butt cap and place coins in it using silicone as a glue. That way, they're easy to remove.

Adding weight lower then the balance point makes the racket more head light - why wouldn't you feel it? Adding it all the way by the butcap just makes most difference per weight - however that makes for less even weight distribution.

For frames I want to make more head light I just get in a grip size smaller and add Leather grip + two overgrips.

This works out to a full 1 oz extra weight on the handle and the leather gives sharp enough corners to the handle so double overgrip doesn't round it off too much. I never liked the idea of putting something into the frame itself.

NoBadMojo
01-14-2008, 11:23 AM
i know you use lead tape for the frame, but what do you put in the grip? does lead tape also work, and how would i go about doing so?

give your racquet a silicone implant inside the handle. that will also dampen some shock

Anton
01-14-2008, 11:23 AM
I have a volkl dnx 8 and im looking for some added stability on my shots. I have alot of racket headspeed on my forehand and generate alot of spin and sometimes when i hit it off center the recoil is unbearable.

I got the sticks two years ago, when I was 15 and since then I have gotten stronger and feel like the racquet is too light for me. I will play around with adding lead tape to different parts of the racquet and see what it does.

Thanks everyone who replied

Yea, on that frame I would add lead 9-10 and 2-3 (~7grams), add a leather grip and a double overgrip (one wrapped in the exact path of the first, which will make fore some nice finger grooves).

This will comeout to ~11.9oz with 6-7points head light, 320-325 sw.

I do hope that you have a full western grip - this frame will have alot of power you'd have to keep in the court.

If you want a little lighter use only one overgrip and tape only 3 and 9 or jsut 2 and 10

jcstennis
01-14-2008, 11:25 AM
i use BluTak (or 3M blue wall adhesive) it's pliable, heavy, sticky (doesn't move)

Arctic
01-14-2008, 04:57 PM
Yea, on that frame I would add lead 9-10 and 2-3 (~7grams), add a leather grip and a double overgrip (one wrapped in the exact path of the first, which will make fore some nice finger grooves).

This will comeout to ~11.9oz with 6-7points head light, 320-325 sw.

I do hope that you have a full western grip - this frame will have alot of power you'd have to keep in the court.

If you want a little lighter use only one overgrip and tape only 3 and 9 or jsut 2 and 10

Thats exactly what I was thinking too, I already use double overgrips and my grip is between semi western and western generating a good amount of spin

I will add the weights tonight and play with it tomorrow and let you know how it feels.

thx

Deuce
01-14-2008, 10:23 PM
Adding weight lower then the balance point makes the racket more head light - why wouldn't you feel it? Adding it all the way by the butcap just makes most difference per weight - however that makes for less even weight distribution.

For frames I want to make more head light I just get in a grip size smaller and add Leather grip + two overgrips.

This works out to a full 1 oz extra weight on the handle and the leather gives sharp enough corners to the handle so double overgrip doesn't round it off too much. I never liked the idea of putting something into the frame itself.
If you add weight to the handle, yes, it will make the racquet more headlight - when the racquet is on a balance board, without your hand on the handle.
But as soon as you hold the racquet by the handle, over the weight you've added, this nullifies the difference in balance.
To feel a difference in balance (i.e. more head light) while you're holding the racquet by the handle, you need to add the weight behind where your hand is.

Adding weight to the area where you hold the racquet only has the effect of making the racquet heavier for you.

Think about it. It's simple physics.
Think of other things you can use the same example on - a hammer... a baseball bat...

atomicx
01-15-2008, 07:34 AM
I've used fishing weights placed inside the buttcap before. Very effective and they are easily removed later if need be.

Anton
01-15-2008, 03:36 PM
If you add weight to the handle, yes, it will make the racquet more headlight - when the racquet is on a balance board, without your hand on the handle.
But as soon as you hold the racquet by the handle, over the weight you've added, this nullifies the difference in balance.
To feel a difference in balance (i.e. more head light) while you're holding the racquet by the handle, you need to add the weight behind where your hand is.

Adding weight to the area where you hold the racquet only has the effect of making the racquet heavier for you.

Think about it. It's simple physics.
Think of other things you can use the same example on - a hammer... a baseball bat...

Of course a problem with this reasoning is that tennis rackets are not for holding but for swinging. ;)

In the swing the commutative axis of rotation is not where you hold the frame but probably about a foot or more away (wrist+elbow+shoulder+body).

By convention, when someone talks of racket's balance in terms of tennis they talk of it relative to the balancing point - beyond that things get a lot more complicated to remain informative.

AlpineCadet
01-15-2008, 03:45 PM

Sounds like you're adding spacers to your buttcap.

Deuce
01-15-2008, 09:09 PM
Of course a problem with this reasoning is that tennis rackets are not for holding but for swinging. ;)

In the swing the commutative axis of rotation is not where you hold the frame but probably about a foot or more away (wrist+elbow+shoulder+body).

By convention, when someone talks of racket's balance in terms of tennis they talk of it relative to the balancing point - beyond that things get a lot more complicated to remain informative.
No, it's not at all complicated.
Add weight under your hand and swing the racquet.
Then add weight behind your hand and swing.
The difference is easy to feel.

Arctic
01-16-2008, 08:59 PM
i added the weight and played, I had a lot more power than before, I had a lot of trouble keeping the ball in the court. I had to move my grip a little more western, then i was getting nice spin and very good power. Little awkward at first but played very well . I guess i'll mess around with it

f2fanatic
01-17-2008, 08:59 AM
As jcstennis mentioned, I also use Blue Tak and if the weight is not enough, I insert nails cut short in the tak and they do not move. It is still easy to remove if it does not suit you.

Anton
01-17-2008, 10:43 AM
No, it's not at all complicated.
Add weight under your hand and swing the racquet.
Then add weight behind your hand and swing.
The difference is easy to feel.

Yes, just as the difference weight in the handle makes is easy to feel, only slightly more so.

Pro_Tour_630
01-17-2008, 10:57 AM
John C has been working on a shape and if you change/flip the shape all else being equal it will swing differently :)

Arctic
01-17-2008, 07:30 PM
So i found the weight I liked and went to add the same amount to my 2nd racket. I wrote measured out and wrote down how much I had added on.

So I put the same amount of lead tape on my 2nd racket and its still lighter. So I add and extra layer of tape to increase the weight, but still no luck.

Im not sure why, I had my dad hold it just incase i was going crazy. Could one racket me lighter than the other or could the slight differences in tape width / positioning be making such a huge difference?

Arctic
01-17-2008, 07:31 PM
I wrote down and measured out how much I had added on***

no edit button

Deuce
01-17-2008, 10:49 PM
So i found the weight I liked and went to add the same amount to my 2nd racket. I wrote measured out and wrote down how much I had added on.

So I put the same amount of lead tape on my 2nd racket and its still lighter. So I add and extra layer of tape to increase the weight, but still no luck.

Im not sure why, I had my dad hold it just incase i was going crazy. Could one racket me lighter than the other or could the slight differences in tape width / positioning be making such a huge difference?
Yes, of course one racquet can be lighter than the other. This is often unfortunately the case with two racquets of the same model.

Anton
01-18-2008, 04:22 AM

Take the guessing out of equation - get one of cheap pocket scales (that measures .1g to 400g+) on e b ay

And also measure the balance point - then add lead to even out the differences.

movdqa
01-18-2008, 06:11 AM
I opened the trap door, used a tube of silicone caulk, let it dry, and then pounded roofing nails into it. Not a reversible operation.

ChappyOnIce
01-18-2008, 07:35 AM

Yep. I brought mine to the shop and had them put on the scale and also the balance machine. I found I needed to add about .3 oz to one to make the weight even. Added to the 6 o'clock position to keep balance neutral but to even out the weight. If they are within .1 oz +/-, you probably won't know the difference.