PDA

View Full Version : End of ProStaff 6.0?

lecter255
01-13-2008, 11:44 PM
Does anyone know whether TW will stock ProStaff 6.0 in the future? Months ago, the status page said in stock in march. Now even the page for the racquet is gone. Is Wilson really not making it anymore? Is this really the end?

Would be great if an admin will reply.

nickb
01-14-2008, 03:05 AM
It will be back soon...there have been about 10 threads about this in the last few weeks.

VGP
01-14-2008, 06:46 AM
There was talk of TW getting frames in March, but then a member here emailed TW and got a reply saying that they haven't heard a confirmation from Wilson.

I guess until they hear differently, it's gone.

Seems like it might be time. Even though Sampras never used the Chinese version, he doesn't use the frame anymore and they have the nCode Tour 90 under his profile. The likeness of the frame makes the connection.

Technically, it could fall under the category as a "Federer" racket since he did use the Chinese made PS85s. But hasn't used it since early '03 (pj).

Barring player association, it's a good frame for some, but seems time has finally caught up with it.

I'm sure Wilson, and perhaps even TW would move on since devoted PS85 users are even moving to the k90.

vincent_tennis
01-14-2008, 07:43 AM
nooo they cant discontinue it...
i needa get at least 2 before they can :p
ps88 swings the best out of all the racket out there today...
without it... i cant serve...

lecter255
01-14-2008, 10:10 AM
nooo they cant discontinue it...
i needa get at least 2 before they can :p
ps88 swings the best out of all the racket out there today...
without it... i cant serve...

yea I want to get 2 before they are gone forever.

It's stupid to discontinue such a good racquet. Prince is still making the POG, and that's just as old as the 6.0. Also, there are like a 2 dozens of nCodes and Kfactors out there, and out of all that, only half a dozen are actually good frames. the 6.1s and give or take two or three others.

SFrazeur
01-14-2008, 10:30 AM
All of the racquets made by real brands are good racquets. They make racquets for different skill sets and different levels of physical ability. As well as by price point. Chances are if a racquet isn't "good" it's just not right for the person trying to play with it. Wilson for example: The K90 is a good racquet, the KFOUR, another good racquet, the K95X, is another good racquet, the KZEN, another good racquet, etc

-SF

VGP
01-14-2008, 10:48 AM
Well, there are some pros that still use the POG.

Except Aaron Krickstein, no one at the (visible) upper levels uses the PS85.

wangs78
01-14-2008, 11:19 AM
This was from today. Looks like with all the new racquets that Wilson is launching, it doesn't want the old and trust Pro Staff to detract from new product sales. Sad....Well, the one PS85 that I do have probably just rose in value a bit.... I wish I had purchased more.

Hello,

Thank you for contacting Tennis Warehouse. Unfortunately, we are no longer receiving another shipment. Wilson has discontinued the Pro Staff 6.0. I apologize for any inconveniences this may cause. Please email or call 1-800-883-6647 if you have any further questions or concerns, we will be happy to assist you.

Sincerely,

Tim Oman
Online Service Representative
Tennis Warehouse
Toll Free 1-800-883-6647
www.tennis-warehouse.com

Wang, Steve wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I was wondering if there has been any word regarding the next shipment
> of these racquets. The last time I checked (a couple of months ago),
> I was told that TW would get a new shipment in February. Is that
> still the case?

VGP
01-14-2008, 11:54 AM
I guess that's that.

Thanks for the post.

robby c
01-14-2008, 12:22 PM
I just bought 2 ncode prostaffs. I paid extra for matching. I wanted heavy. Strung, with overwrap and dampener they are 12.8 and 12.9 oz. My last 4 3/4 leather grip was in the 80's. Thanks. Robby C

drakulie
01-14-2008, 12:25 PM
just buy some off the bay.

HeadPrestige
01-14-2008, 01:05 PM
i really hope this isn't true.. if so i am going to have to switch frames (an i freaking love my 6.0 95)

i need 3 frames, and if its discontinued i am screwed.

I know i could buy it from ****, but i use 5/8 grip size, and those are pretty uncommon.

superstition
01-14-2008, 01:42 PM
Wilson has discontinued this racquet before. It may reappear. If it does and it's more solid than the last one I got, I'll definitely be buying another.

MichaelChang
01-14-2008, 01:44 PM
Game over.

VGP
01-14-2008, 01:48 PM
For "player's" frames like the PS85, a solid presence in the pro leagues is integral to the maintenance of a company keeping it in production.

If Sampras didn't keep using it, it would have disappeared in '94.

If Federer didn't use it, it would have gone in '01.

I'm sure when guys like Safin quit using the Head Prestige mid, that frame will go away too.

Sampras is long retired, Federer has moved on.....rather, Wilson made a new frame for him and is now selling a retail version.

I feel for those that have the PS95 6.0 as their favorite. Mahut just isn't a big enough name to carry the frame, plus his pj doesn't endorse the 6.0.

I guess, in hindsight, I'm surprised it took this long.

NOS on e-bay is the way to go if you want new.....otherwise, you're looking for used.

MichaelChang
01-14-2008, 02:02 PM
IMO the 85s made in China are not worth to pursue anyway. It is time to let it gone I guess.

SFrazeur
01-14-2008, 02:04 PM
If TW is unable to receive more Wilson 6.0 racquets they might be able to get another small midsize frame reintroduced. While I realize much of the reason for the sales of the PS85 is because of all the legends that have used it. But while that may have been a large reason it peaked the interest of many it is not the reason it has keep those players. It would not be the same but it could be a good replacement.

Donnay did make a few midsize racquets, and then there is Becker, owner of the Puma mold I believe. There is also ProKennx.

-SF

VGP
01-14-2008, 02:05 PM
I'm not too sad.

I like the frames, all the models. It's a frame that's been around a long while with a great history.

It's just been around through several transitional periods.

Now, when it comes to playing, I know that there are other great frames out there.

vsbabolat
01-14-2008, 02:10 PM
If TW is unable to receive more Wilson 6.0 racquets they might be able to get another small midsize frame reintroduced. While I realize much of the reason for the sales of the PS85 is because of all the legends that have used it. But while that may have been a large reason it peaked the interest of many it is not the reason it has keep those players. It would not be the same but it could be a good replacement.

Donnay did make a few midsize racquets, and then there is Becker, owner of the Puma mold I believe.

-SF

Donnay had some awesome midsize frames. The Pro Cynetic 1, CGX 25, Pro 25, Plus 25, and the Graphite Bjorn Borg.

SFrazeur
01-14-2008, 02:24 PM
Donnay was well out by the time I took up tennis, but I have seen a few of those mids on for auction. The CGX 25 looks rather PS85 like in shape. The specs I've found on TT are 87.5 sq head, constant beam 17 mm, 16x19 pattern and 363g strung. A bit on the heavy side, but that could possibly be lightened.
(http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showpost.php?p=1907188&postcount=2)

I do not know what the composition was, but PS 85 users might find a Graphite/fiberglass mix too soft. Just rambling on.
-SF

hawaiirgv
01-14-2008, 02:51 PM
I just bought 2 ncode prostaffs. I paid extra for matching. I wanted heavy. Strung, with overwrap and dampener they are 12.8 and 12.9 oz. My last 4 3/4 leather grip was in the 80's. Thanks. Robby C

Does TW offer racquet matching?

HeadPrestige
01-14-2008, 08:50 PM
I just snagged another 6.0 95 5/8 grip size brand new off the bay for 140 shipped. I am so relieved, i did not want to switch rackets.

fleetparadox
01-14-2008, 10:34 PM
Doggone it.

I was one of the late comers to the PS 6.0 party. Just bought my first 95" version a couple of weeks ago. It's definitely the racquet for me. It's a shame that Wilson is discontinuing them. Guess I'll have to find one on the boards or on ****.

ananda
01-14-2008, 11:16 PM
this decision smells,
are they trying to force us to move to the K* rackets.
if not by hook then by crook.
(* more expensive)

The only other rack i was thinking of trying out was the PS 85.

vincent_tennis
01-15-2008, 04:11 AM
can an admin confirm this?
its not that i dont trust wangs78
but this is just....too big of a shock to me >.<

VGP
01-15-2008, 04:42 AM
It's just time.

If you were Wilson wouldn't you want to push your new frames?

Obviously Federer with the k90.....there's a new commercial for the k90 running.

Other senior guys are or have used the k90s and n90s. Krajicek, Stich, Borg with k90s. Sampras is using a pj'd n90 that looks like Federer's old n90s. Courier's using what looks like a retail n90.

We'll see if it comes back, but I'm thinking it's time to be gone.

BreakPoint
01-15-2008, 01:16 PM
can an admin confirm this?
its not that i dont trust wangs78
but this is just....too big of a shock to me >.<
Read post #4 in this thread: http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=175093

wangs78
01-15-2008, 08:29 PM
Read post #4 in this thread: http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=175093

I also wrote to the wilson website and they confirmed that the pro staff 85 has been discontinued for good. bummer i know. I do like the paintjob on the new Ksurge tour though. If only the string pattern was more spin-friendley.

vincent_tennis
01-15-2008, 11:51 PM
i got a confirmation mail.. =/

Discussion Thread
---------------------------------------------------------------
Customer ( vinny2608) - 01/15/2008 08:13 AM
>
> what about the Pro Staff 85's are you truly going to discontinue
> them?.... because i've tried the k90 as well but i just cant find nething
> like the ps85...

Response (Deborah Salerno) - 01/15/2008 10:42 AM
I regret, that racquet is no longer in production.(Pro Staff 85).

Thank you for your interest.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO T.T :cry:

Azzurri
01-16-2008, 08:59 AM

why did you have to pay for matching? did they match the weight to one of your personal racquets or did they just match two racquets in weight from their stock?

Azzurri
01-16-2008, 09:01 AM
Wilson has discontinued this racquet before. It may reappear. If it does and it's more solid than the last one I got, I'll definitely be buying another.

I thought they had been discontinued for quite a while and they were making special batches for TW.

Shangri La
01-16-2008, 09:28 AM
why cant wilson release a modern version of the ps 6.0 95 while they did that for ps85 and 6.1 95? how sad... IMO they dont have anything to compete with head's new mg prestige's -- 12oz flexy mp frames, perhaps it's time to move on to head

THSBOI
01-16-2008, 09:37 AM
I hope it comes back my friend is hella worried about our season because He only has one racket lol and is the ps 6.0 he was planning to buy another one but they stopped selling it. He doesnt trust **** or anything exept tw lol

Azzurri
01-16-2008, 10:09 AM
I hope it comes back my friend is hella worried about our season because He only has one racket lol and is the ps 6.0 he was planning to buy another one but they stopped selling it. He doesnt trust **** or anything exept tw lol

your friend then has no choice. There are many legit tennis racquet sellers on the auction site. Are you telling me a TW member can't sell your buddy a fake? Are you kidding me?:confused: I have NEVER, EVER heard of a fake PS 85. There are a few sellers that still have brand new PS 85, but they are near $200 now. I bought mine from one of the sellers for $127 shipped. I only took it out of the bag once to inspect it. Its still in its original condition.

There are many, many PS 85 on this board and the auction site. I doubt any of them are fakes. Tell your buddy to just buy a K90 then if he is that concerned.

It was bound to happen. the PS 85 is no longer a money maker and it has not been for a long time. We were lucky enough that TW was able to get a few every few months.

Azzurri
01-16-2008, 10:10 AM
why cant wilson release a modern version of the ps 6.0 95 while they did that for ps85 and 6.1 95? how sad... IMO they dont have anything to compete with head's new mg prestige's -- 12oz flexy mp frames, perhaps it's time to move on to head

that would be cool.:)

Since you mentioned this it took me a few minutes to think about it and it is odd they never released the "modern" version of this racquet.

luv2volley
01-16-2008, 10:20 AM
K90 tour is almost but not the same as PS 85.

This is cruel and unusual punishment from Wilson....arrhhh.

VGP
01-16-2008, 10:55 AM
Cruel and unusual punishment by inflicting that k90 paintjob on us!

I blame Roger Federer.

superstition
01-16-2008, 10:55 AM
The k90 is hideously ugly and more expensive, so I guess it takes discontinuing this racquet to "convert" players like myself who don't want it. I'll stick with my 80s Yonex racquets, even though I prefer the 6.0.

wangs78
01-16-2008, 11:21 AM
Just to confirm, the PS 6.0 85 has been discontinued even as a special order for TW.

Discussion Thread
Response (Deborah Salerno) - 01/15/2008 10:41 AM I regret, that racquet is no longer in production, not even as a special order for Tennis Warehouse.

Customer - 01/14/2008 02:58 PM Hello,

I just wanted to check to see if Wilson is still making the Wilson Pro Staff 6.0 85. This is an old racquet line but until now it had been making special batches for the Tennis Warehouse even though it had been discontinued on an official basis. Is Wilson going to continue shipping these racquests to Tennis Warehouse or is it really ending production of these racquets? I really hope that it is the former (that the PS85 will live on!).

Thanks,

BreakPoint
01-16-2008, 12:10 PM
why cant wilson release a modern version of the ps 6.0 95 while they did that for ps85 and 6.1 95? how sad...
Wilson did release a "modern" version of the PS 6.0 95 a few years ago but only in Europe, the HPS 6.0 95 Tour. It was the red one that had the same paintjob as the HPS 6.1 but with a matte rather than glossy finish. Federer had that HPS 6.0 95 Tour paintjob on his PS 6.0 85 and then his PS Tour 90 during 2002, as Wilson was marketing that racquet in Europe. Unfortunately, that racquet didn't last very long as was discontinued in about a year and a half. However, TW did sell that racquet here for a few months in early 2003. You may still be able to find one used.

sunflowerhx
01-17-2008, 05:58 AM
Wilson did release a "modern" version of the PS 6.0 95 a few years ago but only in Europe, the HPS 6.0 95 Tour. It was the red one that had the same paintjob as the HPS 6.1 but with a matte rather than glossy finish. Federer had that HPS 6.0 95 Tour paintjob on his PS 6.0 85 and then his PS Tour 90 during 2002, as Wilson was marketing that racquet in Europe. Unfortunately, that racquet didn't last very long as was discontinued in about a year and a half. However, TW did sell that racquet here for a few months in early 2003. You may still be able to find one used.

Yes, the HPS 6.0 is a fantastic frame - manage to pick one up from an auction site last year.

Pro_Tour_630
01-17-2008, 06:03 AM
that would be cool.:)

Since you mentioned this it took me a few minutes to think about it and it is odd they never released the "modern" version of this racquet.
time to move on to Head Microgel Prestige Pro's

Pro_Tour_630
01-17-2008, 06:08 AM

it is not the same, it played a bit differently

OK I have a dozen brand spanking new CHINESE PS 6.0 95 with plastic still on grip I am only asking $500 EACH WHICH IS A STEAL anyone? JUST KIDINN

superstition
01-17-2008, 09:28 AM
Just to confirm, the PS 6.0 85 has been discontinued even as a special order for TW.

Discussion Thread
Response (Deborah Salerno) - 01/15/2008 10:41 AM I regret, that racquet is no longer in production, not even as a special order for Tennis Warehouse.

Customer - 01/14/2008 02:58 PM Hello,

I just wanted to check to see if Wilson is still making the Wilson Pro Staff 6.0 85. This is an old racquet line but until now it had been making special batches for the Tennis Warehouse even though it had been discontinued on an official basis. Is Wilson going to continue shipping these racquests to Tennis Warehouse or is it really ending production of these racquets? I really hope that it is the former (that the PS85 will live on!).

Thanks,
Still, there is no way to know if it will be produced again in the future. Wilson discontinued the racquet years ago, according to another company that has a store in my area, and it magically appeared a year later.

VGP
01-17-2008, 11:35 AM
Just like any business, when Wilson sees enough of a demand, they might make them again.

I understand with a lot of PS85 users switching to k90s (non-player influenced) and/or with Federer on the cusp of breaking the all-time GS singles title record (very player influenced), with their K-factor TV ads going I can see how Wilson would discontinue the PS85 and push the k90.

Now......where that leaves PS95 users, I don't know.

BreakPoint
01-17-2008, 01:55 PM
it is not the same, it played a bit differently

Of course it played differently or else it would just be the same racquet and not a so-called "modern version".

Just like the nCode 90 was supposed to be a "modern" version of the PS 6.0 85. :)

kkm
02-24-2008, 05:30 AM
Oddly enough it seems that it continues to be available in Japan:

http://www.wilson.co.jp

kkm
02-24-2008, 07:07 AM
http://www.wilson-tennis.jp/products/list/racket/PROSTAFF

king of swing
02-24-2008, 07:29 AM
so is it really gone then?

kkm
02-24-2008, 08:07 AM
Even if it is still available, assuming that the MSRP is 34000 or 35700 Yen as seems to be indicated on the Japanese Wilson site, that's a hefty pricetag.

You can get a rough idea of the equivalent cost in other currencies at

http://www.xe.com

Sparky
03-14-2014, 11:07 PM
Does anyone know whether TW will stock ProStaff 6.0 in the future? Months ago, the status page said in stock in march. Now even the page for the racquet is gone. Is Wilson really not making it anymore? Is this really the end?

Would be great if an admin will reply.

It's still around 6 years later. It'll never die! ("I hope," he mutters under his breath)