PDA

View Full Version : Official Super Bowl Thread

AM28143
01-21-2008, 09:49 AM
So here we are, Giants vs. Patriots. The Patriots are the overwhelming favorites, obviously, but I think my Giants have a chance. Hereís why- First the Patriotsí defense is a far cry from what it was 3 or 4 years ago. The franchise, in response to the Colts, has shifted their focus from defense to offense and, as a result, their defensive personal is not as strong. Therefore, the Giants, with help from perfect weather conditions, should be able to put points on the board. Eli and company should drive the ball down the field quite often. Execution will dictate just how many points they score. On the other side, the Giantsí defense has played great throughout the playoffs. They possess the best defensive ends in the league, and they always have the potential to bother a quarterback, even against an offensive line as good as the Patriotsí. Now, admittedly, even with the pass rush, the Giants wonít be able to stop the best offense in the history of the game, Brady is just too good, however, they can slow them done enough to allow their offense to collect enough points to make it close, and when itís close you never know. One player, one mistake could end the Patriotsí perfect season.

Supernatural_Serve
01-21-2008, 09:52 AM
Like many Super Bowls the game will be over by half-time:

Patriots 35
Giants 17

AM28143
01-21-2008, 09:52 AM

Patriots 35
Giants 17

A very strong possibility.

tbini87
01-21-2008, 11:38 AM
i don't give NY much of a chance. even though the pats don't look like the untouchable team they did in the beginning of the season, i don't think the giants have what it takes to beat them. however, anything could happen (brady throwing 3 picks, and the giants not settling for field goals every time in the red zone), and it might be closer than some think...

snoopy
01-21-2008, 11:51 AM
My prediction:

GIANTS

PATRIOTS

UW_Husky88
01-21-2008, 01:31 PM
My prediction:

GIANTS

PATRIOTS

bs. It's going to be a blowout. Brady won't play like crap again nor will he give the Giants opportunities to win like my Cowboys and the Packers did (damn Jessica Simpson!).

My prediction: Pats 42 Giants 17. It's a dynasty, Brady is a god, GG FTW.

RemedySLO
01-21-2008, 01:37 PM
My prediction:

GIANTS

PATRIOTS

get out of town......you might want to change your underwear after that wetdream.

WChiang
01-21-2008, 04:21 PM
My prediction:

GIANTS

PATRIOTS

Me thinks that the little man with his face painted blue might be "inhaling" at the moment...:shock:

BigServer1
01-21-2008, 06:34 PM
Pats win 34-17. Mercury Morris is forced to shut the hell up. I can die happy without hearing about the 72 dolphins ever again.

Breaker
01-21-2008, 06:41 PM

Patriots 35
Giants 17

None of the Super Bowls in the last decade have been over by halftime. I'll pick the Giants by a field goal.

BigServer1
01-21-2008, 06:53 PM
None of the Super Bowls in the last decade have been over by halftime. I'll pick the Giants by a field goal.

Super Bowl 37: Buccs up 20-3 at halftime and win 48-21

Super Bowl 35: Ravens up 10-0 at halftime...That game wasn't over, but the fact that NYG was held scoreless in the first half was big, Ravens win 34-7.

Super Bowl 33: Broncos up 17-6 at halftime, they go on to win 34-19.

Obviously those aren't total blowouts, but the games were firmly in hand at halftime. You are correct though, most superbowls are close enough at halftime.

Breaker
01-21-2008, 07:16 PM
Super Bowl 37: Buccs up 20-3 at halftime and win 48-21

Super Bowl 35: Ravens up 10-0 at halftime...That game wasn't over, but the fact that NYG was held scoreless in the first half was big, Ravens win 34-7.

Super Bowl 33: Broncos up 17-6 at halftime, they go on to win 34-19.

Obviously those aren't total blowouts, but the games were firmly in hand at halftime. You are correct though, most superbowls are close enough at halftime.

Alright, you got me, maybe I exaggerated a bit with 'none' :). Giants are playing too well heading into this game to let it slip away fast though, they should be able to match the Pats in physicality and their defense can rob Brady of time in the pocket. Should be one of the better Super Bowls in the past few years.

I do agree about Mercury Morris, whether the Pats win or lose he'll still remain the cocky arsehole he is and make a worthless rap about his feelings.

BigServer1
01-21-2008, 07:22 PM
Alright, you got me, maybe I exaggerated a bit with 'none' :). Giants are playing too well heading into this game to let it slip away fast though, they should be able to match the Pats in physicality and their defense can rob Brady of time in the pocket. Should be one of the better Super Bowls in the past few years.

I do agree about Mercury Morris, whether the Pats win or lose he'll still remain the cocky arsehole he is and make a worthless rap about his feelings.

Agreed on all counts. If the Giants can play like they did week 17, it will be an amazing game.

God I hate M. Morris.

CityHeightsTennis
01-21-2008, 07:29 PM
So here we are, Giants vs. Patriots. The Patriots are the overwhelming favorites, obviously, but I think my Giants have a chance. Hereís why- First the Patriotsí defense is a far cry from what it was 3 or 4 years ago. The franchise, in response to the Colts, has shifted their focus from defense to offense and, as a result, their defensive personal is not as strong. Therefore, the Giants, with help from perfect weather conditions, should be able to put points on the board. Eli and company should drive the ball down the field quite often. Execution will dictate just how many points they score. On the other side, the Giantsí defense has played great throughout the playoffs. They possess the best defensive ends in the league, and they always have the potential to bother a quarterback, even against an offensive line as good as the Patriotsí. Now, admittedly, even with the pass rush, the Giants wonít be able to stop the best offense in the history of the game, Brady is just too good, however, they can slow them done enough to allow their offense to collect enough points to make it close, and when itís close you never know. One player, one mistake could end the Patriotsí perfect season.

i am going with the underdog......Giants.....if they are the underdog... i think they are

BigServer1
01-21-2008, 07:48 PM
i am going with the underdog......Giants.....if they are the underdog... i think they are

LOL, yeah they are 14 point dogs in that game.

maverick66
01-21-2008, 09:16 PM
LOL, yeah they are 14 point dogs in that game.

which is really high if you look at the game in week 17. the giants can thank the patriots for there playoff wins as dallas and green bay were not as tough as the pats. that game with the patriots got them into playoff mode and the rest of the teams just wernt competing at that level. plus i can honestly say even though he lost that game eli seemed to grow up in front of us. he played amazing for 3 1/2 quarters and fell short at the end against the best team in history.

oh and im picking the pats. something about brady in a big game makes me feel good about the pats chances. plus some time off to let the giants cool off from there winning streak.

tricky
01-21-2008, 09:29 PM
which is really high if you look at the game in week 17Not that surprising -- the line is really high because Vegas wants to drum up interest. (after all, the Pats haven't been covering their point spread lately.) I'd be surprised if it's over 10 or 11 (still a lot) by gametime.

BigServer1
01-21-2008, 09:36 PM
Not that surprising -- the line is really high because Vegas wants to drum up interest. (after all, the Pats haven't been covering their point spread lately.) I'd be surprised if it's over 10 or 11 (still a lot) by gametime.

Yeah, I agree. 14 is too high, and the Pats haven't covered a spread for 4+ games. If the spread is less than 10, I would take the Pats and give the points. If the spread is 11+, I would strongly consider taking the points and the Giants.

tricky
01-21-2008, 09:48 PM
On paper, this is a better matchup than Pats vs. Packers. At first, I didn't think so, but it's highly unlikely that a rematch between any team would result in a blowout. The Giants have already seen the various Pats spread formations, and that significantly bumps up the pass coverage. (i.e. look at what the Chargers did.)

Eli now has become suddenly very comfortable throwing under pressure and over the middle of the field. And that's still a big hole for the Pats, who still give up a lot there.

I'm still looking into this game, but it just looks like the Giants can very much win this game. The holes are there for the Giants to pounce on, and there's simply no hotter team right now.

my_forehand
01-22-2008, 01:33 AM
Who wants the Patriots to make history?

tricky
01-22-2008, 01:34 AM
I want to see 19-0* in my lifetime. :D

mcpon
01-22-2008, 03:21 AM
I'm going to watch it.

AM28143
01-22-2008, 08:00 AM
Brady is injured. He was spotted with a walking boot on. I smell an upset!

maverick66
01-22-2008, 08:34 AM
I want to see 19-0* in my lifetime. :D

so stupid to put an asterix there. seriously anyone ive heard trying to do that on espn or the radio hasnt given a good argument yet.

BigServer1
01-22-2008, 09:15 AM
so stupid to put an asterix there. seriously anyone ive heard trying to do that on espn or the radio hasnt given a good argument yet.

I completely agree. There are a lot of teams that have used video mechanisms to gain a competitive advantage, but the Patriots were the team that got caught. Eric Mangini, the Jets head coach, worked for Belichick and knew what he was up to and reported it. Funnily enough, I think that "SpyGate" is the driving force behind this entire season. The Pats were so ****ed about the camera stuff that they wanted to prove something.

I feel like this is a lot like the Barry Bonds deal. One guy is vilified for the indiscretion of an entire league, while other players get away with the same stuff. Barry was on top, so people when after him. The Pats are on top, so people go after them. I guess people have a problem with dominance, because they seem to do anything possible to discredit dominant athletes or teams.

tricky
01-22-2008, 09:46 AM
There are a lot of teams that have used video mechanisms to gain a competitive advantage, but the Patriots were the team that got caught.

Yeah, that's true. I'm actually a Pats fan and a bigger fan of the possibility of a 19-0 season (though I'm still not sure how I feel about 2007 Pats vs. 1985 Bears), but I think it would be funny if they put an asterick next to it. I still think they're very clearly the model organization in American professional sports.

I guess people have a problem with dominance, because they seem to do anything possible to discredit dominant athletes or teams..

True, but they also have a problem with Barry Bonds, and baseball is especially precious about their records. Insofar as assigning an "yes but" to him breaking the record, they did the same thing with Roger Maris just because Maris wasn't Mantle.

snoopy
01-22-2008, 10:38 AM
GIANTS

No doubt about it.

Pats are going down.

http://www.newsday.com/media/photo/2008-01/34842264.jpg

http://www.newsday.com/media/photo/2008-01/34842824.jpg

http://www.newsday.com/media/photo/2008-01/34843602.jpg

The Pats better be scared.

http://www.adultswim.com/video/?episodeID=8a25c392179bd29c01179cb408ac0003

snoopy
01-22-2008, 11:26 AM

Bodacious DVT
01-22-2008, 01:18 PM
I though we weren't allowed to say "$uper Bowl" anymore...

RemedySLO
01-22-2008, 01:27 PM
everyone who thinks the giants are gonna win, you need to go back to sleep and keep dreamin. I could say alot, but instead im gonna let myricegirl tell you what i think about the giANTS. ***WARNING*** Not safe for work. ***WARNING*** http://youtube.com/watch?v=EcRyvxcgJdg (just a bikini)

my_forehand
01-23-2008, 02:04 AM
The Giants nearly won last time they played.

Nearly.

Nuke
01-23-2008, 03:45 AM
I'm originally from NYC, so i'd like to see the Giants win, but I'd be happy just to see a close, exciting game. Too many Super Bowls are snoozefests.

CanadianChic
01-23-2008, 04:04 AM
Go Stillers! *yawn* ,please great gods of the fool'sball, let the weather be nice, the halftime show entertaining and this damn season over soon.

demz
01-23-2008, 07:17 AM
I don't know if any of you saw the movie I am Legend, but the news ticker at the beginning of the movie predicted that the Pats would be the Giants 23-7
screen shot - http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k278/flashp0int/0120081942.jpg

AM28143
01-23-2008, 07:31 AM
Go Stillers! *yawn* ,please great gods of the fool'sball, let the weather be nice, the halftime show entertaining and this damn season over soon.

American football (real football) is the 2nd greatest sport ever created by man. :)

RemedySLO
01-23-2008, 08:10 AM
American football (real football) is the 2nd greatest sport ever created by man. :)

You mean fake football? And yes it is 2nd to real futbol.

Dedans Penthouse
01-23-2008, 10:05 AM
The "damn season" is ALREADY over. And, speaking of over, didn't you have a GRAY CUP party this past November?? We sure as hell did--what a blowout!

Saskatchewan Roughriders!!!.......Winnipeg Blue Bombers!!!.......I mean it doesn't get any better than that!!! :-)

maverick66
01-23-2008, 10:26 AM
I feel like this is a lot like the Barry Bonds deal. One guy is vilified for the indiscretion of an entire league, while other players get away with the same stuff. Barry was on top, so people when after him. The Pats are on top, so people go after them. I guess people have a problem with dominance, because they seem to do anything possible to discredit dominant athletes or teams.

barry didnt hel himself at all by being a jerk about it. i can understand the frustration of being the one that everyone is coming down on when like 70-80% of the leugue was doing something. and yes people want to see top athletes fail so they can feel like there not so little in the world. its the whole"heavy sits the crown" thing. everyone wants to be king but only one guy gets it.