PDA

View Full Version : Intriuged By The MP Tour-1?

ktowntennis
03-21-2004, 03:23 PM
I currently hit with the Head iRadical MP and I'm considering switching to the Liquid Metal Radical MP. However, the Yonex MP Tour-1 continues to catch my eye. So I'd like to hear from any of you that have hit and or played with either the Mid or Mid Plus MP Tour-1. I am a 34 year old 4.5-5.0 teaching professional who plays primarily from the baseline but will venture to the net if the opportunity presents itself. Please feel free to post your comments, good and bad, regarding the MP Tour-1.

El Diablo
03-21-2004, 07:34 PM
I demoed the 98 inch version and was not very impressed by any quality of the racquet. Groundstrokes were OK but serves and volleys indistinguished. As a teaching pro, you might want something a little more comfortable, if you plan to teach with it.
(P.S. - Do you think it's unusual that a teaching pro is so reluctant to come to net?)

@wright
03-21-2004, 07:58 PM
I thought the 98 was very comfortable, and great for serving, but a little too powerful on groundies. I'd love to try the 90, because I think it would have less of the 98's disadvantages. I also found the stringbed to be a little inconsistent on the 98. Very solid feeling racquet though, I love arm friendly bats.

ps 6.0
03-21-2004, 08:37 PM
The first time i tried my MP Tour-1 90 i was very pleasantly surprized, backhands were a dream for me, serves were noticeably easier to hit, be it spin or flat serves. The forehands are very nice, i liked it so much it finally ended my search for my Pro Staff Original 95 which i had been looking for a replacement for, for about 2 years. I now have 3. Try it out, i find it a hell of a lot more comfortable than my Tour 90. With the Tour 90 the stringbed feels so harsh when i used to string it at 56. I can take the MP Tour-1 90 all the way up to 65/63 without a hitch. To me that really attests to the comfort of this stick. In the end, just give it a run. . . a Demo never hurt any body. (Huh, BB?)

Dennis Anyone?
03-21-2004, 09:24 PM
Demoed the 98 a week or so ago and had never hit groundstrokes so well. As most will say, very solid-feeling. Ideal blend of feel (flex) and power for me. However, the mass that made groundies great was frustrating during serves. Couldn't get the racquet head speed I wanted. (I'm reasonably fit/strong.) Was able to hit a heavy ball, but not necessarily a flat bomb.

Will try the 90 this week. Haven't hit with a head that small since the late 80's . . . . My other contender is the Volkl C10 Pro. Had the opposite problem with that one. Super-maneuverable on serves and scarily sensitive feel on volleys, but so thin and flexible, I felt like I didn't have enough stick in my hand when returning big, big shots.

Curious. Are fans of the MP Tour-1 98 fans of the C10 Pro/Tour 10 MP? Different sticks, but many things to like for players who like great combos of control, feel and power.