PDA

View Full Version : Last time the NFC won a Super Bowl?

Mark Vessels
01-23-2008, 05:52 AM
Really, what is with the AFC dominating lately?

The last time th NFC won it was 5 (maybe six) years ago.

Can Eli Manning do the impossible?

Osi Umenyiorya

BigServer1
01-23-2008, 01:00 PM
Really, what is with the AFC dominating lately?

The last time th NFC won it was 5 (maybe six) years ago.

Can Eli Manning do the impossible?

Osi Umenyiorya

The AFC has just been deeper and better over the last 8-10 years. We saw the 49ers and Cowboys in the late 80s-90s, so it makes sense that it has swung the other way.

The last NFC team that won the Super Bowl was Tampa Bay, beating the Raiders 48-21 in Super Bowl XXXVII (2003).

A.J. Sim
01-23-2008, 02:12 PM
The AFC has better qbs (Brady, P.Manning, Palmer, Rivers); all 4 you could build a franchise arround. The NFC has Romo, E.Manning, Favre (aging) at best.

The AFC also has two of the top coaches in the NFL in Dungy and Belichick; I've never seen a coach prepare for a team like Belichick.

BigServer1
01-23-2008, 05:28 PM
The AFC has better qbs (Brady, P.Manning, Palmer, Rivers); all 4 you could build a franchise arround. The NFC has Romo, E.Manning, Favre (aging) at best.

The AFC also has two of the top coaches in the NFL in Dungy and Belichick; I've never seen a coach prepare for a team like Belichick.

Do you consider Dungy a top coach? I would argue that he has done less with that talent than he should have. The best (or second best) QB of the decade, a great defense, tremendous front office, solid draft classes...All that meant was one super bowl title, including numerous losses in the Divisional round as a big home favorite. When you look at what the Pats did with less talent (except at QB and K, imo), it really dwarfs what the Colts did.

I also don't see Rivers as a top 5 NFL QB. He showed guts last Sunday, but as a passer, he's not top 5.

10sfreak
01-26-2008, 08:34 PM
I guess the pendulum has just simply swung the other way; the NFC won the SB every year from what, '84 to '96? That's what, 12 in a row?
49ers
Bears
Giants
Redskins
49ers
49ers
Redskins
Cowboys
Cowboys
49ers
Cowboys
Packers

Hopefully, the victories will start swinging back the other way soon...or at least, start swapping back and forth a little bit...

shintan17
01-27-2008, 04:42 PM
Do you consider Dungy a top coach? I would argue that he has done less with that talent than he should have. The best (or second best) QB of the decade, a great defense, tremendous front office, solid draft classes...All that meant was one super bowl title, including numerous losses in the Divisional round as a big home favorite. When you look at what the Pats did with less talent (except at QB and K, imo), it really dwarfs what the Colts did.

I also don't see Rivers as a top 5 NFL QB. He showed guts last Sunday, but as a passer, he's not top 5.

I agree. Dungy is overrated. While he is a GOOD coach, I don't think he is great considering what he has done with the colts and the tampa bay.

tricky
01-27-2008, 06:59 PM
I am myself a big fan of Dungy. Tampa Bay was a horrible football franchise before Dungy came along, drafted his guys to put together and put up his version of the Steel Curtain defense. In Indy, because their primary off-season goals were to protect their offensive core, it took much longer for him to put together players that would operate his cover 2 defense optimally.

He's not a playcaller and obviously not an offensive guru, but he did a wonderful job preserving offensive continuity with the previous staff as well as this year managing a team beset with injuries.

And, also if you look at the coaching staff across the NFL, I don't think there's but a handful of team who's managed the same quality control as the Colts and the Pats. Perhaps the Eagles who were top dogs in the NFC for such a long time before dipping last year. Maybe Seattle too.