PDA

View Full Version : Do Serbs hate the U.S. for bombing them?

tt_the_man
01-23-2008, 08:10 PM
Ivanovic, Jankovic, and Djokovic seem like such nice people, but I'd be amazed if they don't harbor resentment toward the U.S. for bombing their country. Do they secretly hate us?

SempreSami
01-23-2008, 08:14 PM
They're a tough lot the Serbs, could've laughed the whole thing off for all we know.

daddy
01-23-2008, 08:17 PM
No mate, really we dont hate the usa nor its people. Political establishment has absolutely nothing to do with you ordinary guys, if I was to hate someone, it is surely not going to be a whole nation nor anyone particular like your everyday people who had no say in anything related to this and many other things in usa foreign policy and I am sure all my fellow countrymen feel the same.

Legend of Borg
01-23-2008, 08:21 PM
Ivanovic, Jankovic, and Djokovic seem like such nice people, but I'd be amazed if they don't harbor resentment toward the U.S. for bombing their country. Do they secretly hate us?

I doubt it. They are not the ones to hold a grudge. I was friends with a couple of them while living in Europe. Really nice people. Some older Serbians might think otherwise, but the younger generation is more forgiving.

Phil
01-23-2008, 08:25 PM
No mate, really we dont hate the usa nor its people. Political establishment has absolutely nothing to do with you ordinary guys, if I was to hate someone, it is surely not going to be a whole nation nor anyone particular like your everyday people who had no say in anything related to this and many other things in usa foreign policy and I am sure all my fellow countrymen feel the same.
Damn, that's well-put. I wish everyone could say the same thing as this. You're a decent chap!

daddy
01-23-2008, 08:28 PM
Damn, that's well-put. I wish everyone could say the same thing as this. You're a decent chap!

Trust me on this one, its not just saying that. I am sure other serbs on the board will comment similarly. Its not been easy but you know what, thats life. We should get over it, built up our economy and try to clear our image in the world since we are not what people usually think of us. :)

Phil
01-23-2008, 08:36 PM
Trust me on this one, its not just saying that. I am sure other serbs on the board will comment similarly. Its not been easy but you know what, thats life. We should get over it, built up our economy and try to clear our image in the world since we are not what people usually think of us. :)
That's what I mean-to say something like that and actually MEAN IT. Politics seems to wreck everything. We're all human, we're all made of the same material and it's a matter of getting past what some faceless leaders do, in OUR NAME and without OUR permission.

Mike Bulgakov
01-23-2008, 08:39 PM

SikSerb
01-23-2008, 08:43 PM

Its not a easy question to answer and people DO NOT think the way daddy says. hatred for america is in my country, not only for the bombings but because of other things they are STILL doing to our country.

Its the american government that I hate with a strong passion. I hated the whole United States and its people and everything to do with it when the bombing of my country went on. Not so much do I hate the people now but a feeling remains in me. I hate the American goverment and its politicians more than anything and wish the worst to them. I wont go into it, but there is a feeling that my people have against americans, because of numerous reasons.

Its not something you can answer so easily. And to be honest dont why you ask this question.

vkartikv
01-23-2008, 08:44 PM
Even if they do, what are you going to do about it? Are you going to apologise on behalf of your 'wisemen'??

tt_the_man
01-23-2008, 08:53 PM
Obviously there is nothing I can do about it. Just curious, and wondering what to expect if I ever visit Eastern Europe. (And also, I feel slightly guilty about it, despite having nothing to do with the decision.)

vkartikv
01-23-2008, 08:54 PM
Obviously there is nothing I can do about it. Just curious, and wondering what to expect if I ever visit Eastern Europe.

Wherever you go, go with an open mind and heart. If someone does you wrong because of your ethnic background, he is the close-minded one, not you :)

daddy
01-23-2008, 09:01 PM
Obviously there is nothing I can do about it. Just curious, and wondering what to expect if I ever visit Eastern Europe. (And also, I feel slightly guilty about it, despite having nothing to do with the decision.)

I can dig that the guy with nick sick serb can think otherwise. My close friend from Detroit was here for 3 weeks, I can send you guys his email and you ask him what a hell of a time we had. I can assure you - there are people who blame everyone for everything but really its not the majority and it is not turned against any guy in particular. I dont like the establishment but what now, should I go on a rampage ?

dr325i
01-23-2008, 09:02 PM

my wife is born American, I took her back to Serbia in 1999 (just before the bombing) and in 2001, and took her folks to visit in 2004 and 2007. They loved it over there and loved people over there and admitted they probably had the times of their lives while visiting...
I am sure there is hate toward USA politics, not only from Serbian people but from the majority in the World...

Anyways, young people are looking into the future not past...

superman1
01-23-2008, 11:41 PM
Not so much do I hate the people now but a feeling remains in me.

Get over it.

PCXL-Fan
01-23-2008, 11:43 PM
I have a couple of Serbian friends and while they don't hate the US they do harbour a sense of bitterness and are very anti-Pax Americiana.

Tshooter
01-23-2008, 11:51 PM
"We should get over it, built up our economy and try to clear our image in the world since we are not what people usually think of us. "

A step in the right direction would be to defeat the Nationalists in the upcoming elections.

Tshooter
01-23-2008, 11:57 PM
Opps. Seems I'm a bit behind in my news reading (hadn't seen the Sunday election results). Too bad for Serbia. We'll at least Serbian tennis is awesome!

gj011
01-24-2008, 12:03 AM
There will be a second round in the presidential election. It is not finished yet.

gj011
01-24-2008, 12:06 AM
I have a couple of Serbian friends and while they don't hate the US they do harbour a sense of bitterness and are very anti-Pax Americiana.

You described my sentiments exactly. Daddy is too apologetic, while SikSerb is too extreme. I guess we are not all the same :)

zagor
01-24-2008, 12:56 AM
Get over it.

It's not easy to get over bombing,it leaves scares,maybe if you had experienced it yourself you would understand.But you are right he should get over it because life goes on and as daddy sad hating the entire nation for what their pollitical establishment did is simply wrong.I'm sure most of the ordinary American guys here are against violence of any kind.

celina
01-24-2008, 01:09 AM
Get over it.

ok, when another terrorist attack happens in your country. You "just get over it". You people are disgustingly arrogant, it would be funny if it weren't a sad commentary on you society. :twisted:

celina
01-24-2008, 01:12 AM
It's not easy to get over bombing,it leaves scares,maybe if you had experienced it yourself you would understand.But you are right he should get over it because life goes on and as daddy sad hating the entire nation for what their pollitical establishment did is simply wrong.I'm sure most of the ordinary American guys here are against violence of any kind.

please don't assume that. america has the highest crime rate in the western world. violence, domestic and foriegn are very much appreciated in Amerikkka. :(

celina
01-24-2008, 01:19 AM
"We should get over it, built up our economy and try to clear our image in the world since we are not what people usually think of us. "

A step in the right direction would be to defeat the Nationalists in the upcoming elections.

Yes. And you should move your country in the right direction by not electing another war mongering, mentally deficient, slow talking inbred hick as your president. That is, if you want the world's respect. Which you're far from having. Nice day! :)

Tshooter
01-24-2008, 01:21 AM
Celina, no reasonable person would expect a civilian impacted by a bombing campaign to get over it easily, if ever. But the shame is not that the US acted but that we waited too long to act expecting the UN/Europeans to do something. Unfortunately Milosevic was prematurely sent to Hell and never got a public trial which perhaps would have educated more people about exactly what happened.
And the "disgustingly arrogant" people of the US will in all liklihood be pressing for the independence of Kosovo. So I guess you can add that to your list of grievances. Hopefully the Serbs have had enough of the nightmare and they can move on. But your recent elections are most certainly not a good sign for Serbia. That a few people grew up in that wartime mess and become world class tennis players has to make everyone smile.

celina
01-24-2008, 01:21 AM
http://patrickgibson.com/news/andsuch/bush_monkey.jpg

knasty131
01-24-2008, 01:27 AM
No...they are so happy that we bombed them...what kind of thread is this???

Who in their right mind wouldnt be mad?!

Azza
01-24-2008, 01:38 AM
I have to say that I know a fair few Serbs in Melbourne and they do still harbor resentment for the American involvement in the war...

barry
01-24-2008, 02:03 AM
Yes. And you should move your country in the right direction by not electing another war mongering, mentally deficient, slow talking inbred hick as your president. That is, if you want the world's respect. Which you're far from having. Nice day! :)

Your right the hick from Arkansas bombed Serbia former President Bill Clinton needing cover for impeachment proceeding, and started the war diversion. Prior to that, Serbia was a huge ally to the U.S.

You need a history lesson! http://www.cato.org/pub_display.php?pub_id=5570

No Drop Shots
01-24-2008, 03:56 AM
The USA hasn't only bombed Serbia!! Don't forget Germany, Belgium, Netherlands, Luxembourg, Hungary, Italy, Tunisia, Greece, Austria, Romania, Japan, Thailand, Nauru, Solomon Islands, Papua New Guinea, Marshall Islands, Singapore, Phillipines, China, Korea, Guatemala, Indonesia, Cuba, Congo, Peru, Laos, Vietnam, Cambodia, Lebanon, Grenada, Libya, El Salvador, Nicaragua, Panama, Iraq, Somalia, Bosnia, Sudan, Yugoslavia and Afghanistan. Who will it be tomorrow?

dr325i
01-24-2008, 04:19 AM
Get over it.

stupid comment!

jmverdugo
01-24-2008, 04:31 AM

They in particular?, dont think so, other serbs, for sure ... war is the stupidiest thing man ever invented and there is no excuse for what have been done, but yuo cant live thinking about the past and the bad things that has happened, it will make you a bitter person.

daddy
01-24-2008, 05:49 AM
Opps. Seems I'm a bit behind in my news reading (hadn't seen the Sunday election results). Too bad for Serbia. We'll at least Serbian tennis is awesome!

2nd round of ellections is on 3rd of Feb so we will win no issues there. :) As we did during this decade .. we should drop the politics from the board.

ninman
01-24-2008, 05:53 AM
I'm sorry I thought this was a Tennis forum.

daddy
01-24-2008, 05:59 AM

Celina, I can see your point, maybe Barack would be a bit of fresh air for them talking about elections. On the other hand get over it thing was not good to write but essentially what can one do about the past ?

I mean lets put logic to paper, I am not apologetic nor soft nor anything similar as some people said. I just think there is no use in WASTING emotions on something which happened. Yeah, Ill not forget it, never. I will never say that was easy to live thru or right thing to do from the us side, cmon - bomb a country ?

In my view, logic is - lets use our energy to a positive cause, lets try to do whats best right now and put all our effort and emotions towards future not the past. Thats about all. And on top of that, I do not want to hate any human beign especially guys who had absolutely nothing to do with bombing or as I said with usa forreign policy which is ******, but ordinray people are not guilty and I refuse to hate people for mistakes their leadership made. They chose them, but did they really know how will foreign policy be conducted? Americans engage in elections turned much more towards questions regarding their country, I have a feeling most of them would also like stronger economy, health insurance and so on. Most of them would like their kids out of Irak and back home. That is all.

cadfael_tex
01-24-2008, 06:20 AM
This got ugly fast...

I can't comment on American foreign policy (UCMJ) but I will hopefully leave it at this - The Serbian people have great ambassadors for their Nation in their Tennis players whose charm and sportsmanship (as well as tennis ability) have brought positive attention to Serbia.

PS I was rooting for them against Fish and Serena in the Hopman cup.

SikSerb
01-24-2008, 06:23 AM
Get over it? Serbia was illegally bombed by NATO which were originally established to protect western nations from the Eastern bloc. They illegally bombed and killed our people, "accidently" bombed our hospitals, and bridges containing many fleeing people, needlessly destroyed many of our landmarks and bombed MANY civilian targets. They were animals...

Get over it? ill never get over it, but i will try to forget it. Would you say what you write to me to my face? No, so ill forget you too.

vigour
01-24-2008, 06:26 AM
Who doesn't hate the U.S?

No Drop Shots
01-24-2008, 06:52 AM
Serbia was illegally bombed by NATO which were originally established to protect western nations from the Eastern bloc. They illegally bombed and killed our people, "accidently" bombed our hospitals, and bridges containing many fleeing people, needlessly destroyed many of our landmarks and bombed MANY civilian targets.

NATO was acting to protect the Bosnians from the Serbs!! Lets not forget that the Serbs were bombed in order to try to halt the 1000's of Bosnian men/women and children that had their hands cuffed behind their backs, forced to kneel in front of shallow pits and shot in the back of the head!!

Absolutely none of which has anything to do with Djok/Ivanovic or Jank who are all lovely people and incredible tennis players and have my upmost respect, just as I do not dislike ARod or Blake etc for the fact that the USA (that peace loving nation!) has bombed more than 40 countries in the last 60 years. Thats a new country every 1.5 years!!!!! The numbers killed by the Serbs pales into insignificance compared to the numbers killed by US. Lets just love players for their tennis and forget that tennis players are not responsible for the heinous acts committed by their country.

vigour
01-24-2008, 07:03 AM
NATO was acting to protect the Bosnians from the Serbs!! Lets not forget that the Serbs were bombed in order to try to halt the 1000's of Bosnian men/women and children that had their hands cuffed behind their backs, forced to kneel in front of shallow pits and shot in the back of the head!!

Absolutely none of which has anything to do with Djok/Ivanovic or Jank who are all lovely people and incredible tennis players and have my upmost respect, just as I do not dislike ARod or Blake etc for the fact that the USA (that peace loving nation!) has bombed more than 40 countries in the last 60 years. Thats a new country every 1.5 years!!!!! The numbers killed by the Serbs pales into insignificance compared to the numbers killed by US. Lets just love players for their tennis and forget that tennis players are not responsible for the heinous acts committed by their country.

Well said mate.

swedechris
01-24-2008, 07:15 AM
if their country or backyard was invaded /violated / occupied or in other ways abused. thats normal. just look at how we in the us have reacted since 9/11 ... hatred ran high and seems to been 'used' in a wacky way.

i have been to eastern europe and the people there cant be seen as a body of samness . they are , jsut like all over the world , of differnt opinions ..
but waht you send out in signals you usual get back ..
so being communicative receiving and softly confident and present is a plus whenever in a new culture or country.
i have travelled in my job and seen most of the world and the foreign policies and actions of governments are not appreciated and we in the us now have a lot to account for so to be aware of that and to see the other side of the coin/ change perspective around a bit in order to have a free and open mindset about things is a good thing .

357sig
01-24-2008, 07:26 AM
Please remember there were many countries dropping bombs , which i was never in favor of by the way , I think Europe should of delt with the killings going on there, and we should of stayed out of it ,

El Hombre
01-24-2008, 07:33 AM
Well the Serb "government" did bring it upon themselves so their people should hate them because they are to blame, not the US or any other country

daddy
01-24-2008, 08:41 AM
Boy do I like people talking about things they dont know sh*t about. Im done with this thread, its becoming idiotic.

Dedans Penthouse
01-24-2008, 08:57 AM
The USA hasn't only bombed Serbia!! Don't forget Germany, Belgium, Netherlands, Luxembourg, Hungary, Italy, Tunisia, Greece, Austria, Romania, Japan, Thailand, Nauru, Solomon Islands, Papua New Guinea, Marshall Islands, Singapore, Phillipines, China, Korea, Guatemala, Indonesia, Cuba, Congo, Peru, Laos, Vietnam, Cambodia, Lebanon, Grenada, Libya, El Salvador, Nicaragua, Panama, Iraq, Somalia, Bosnia, Sudan, Yugoslavia and Afghanistan. Who will it be tomorrow?
Let's start with Oliver Cromwell....now, do you really want to go there, Dumbkirk?

obsessedtennisfandisorder
01-24-2008, 09:07 AM
Who doesn't hate the U.S?

Well, that's kind of unneccessary as well isn't it?

This issue is too sensitive to go about making rash comments like

"get over it"

How would americans like it if other people said "get over it" about 9/11

Serbia may not have been doing things properly by UN standards...by ethnic clensing thru Kosovo....but it was the EU's responsibility to head a Diplomacy team...

Before you could say "cigar"....we had a nation on another continent completely being an agrressor and firing bombs from the air...

What's more...if the US people had a vote on it...they probably would have said no to the bombing...the US people are light years ahead of their politicians.

Diplomacy might have jokes made about it...but it needs a chance.

Back to the tennis players...I'm sure they have relatives with resentment.

But it would be not wise to start criticizing a country where you make a lot of your income....that would put them in a hypocritic situation..

ie..if you hate the US, why go there?

No Drop Shots
01-24-2008, 10:02 AM
Let's start with Oliver Cromwell....now, do you really want to go there, Dumbkirk?

40 different countries in 60 years. Has been at least 18 months since Sudan, 18 months before that it was Iraq and 18 months before that Afghanistan. Gotta just be itching to make it 41 countries by now, surely you have a stockpile that needs using up? who is it gonna be next, Iran, N Korea, Syria????

Serve em Up
01-24-2008, 10:27 AM
Didn't the NATO bomings have something to do with a thorny Serb politician named Milosevic that was doing a little ethnic housecleaning?

As I remember , there was outrage in the world that the US stood by for too long without doing something to stop that nutball.

The US is the biggest most powerful country in the world. It will be criticised for acting and for not acting. My intuition tells me we should just let other countries work out their own problems regardless of how many people get killed. In either case the US will be hated until there is someone out there bigger than we are.

The Serbs have some wonderful and very gracious tennis players. No wonder their country is so enamored with them.

El Hombre
01-24-2008, 01:25 PM
Didn't the NATO bomings have something to do with a thorny Serb politician named Milosevic that was doing a little ethnic housecleaning?

As I remember , there was outrage in the world that the US stood by for too long without doing something to stop that nutball.

The US is the biggest most powerful country in the world. It will be criticised for acting and for not acting. My intuition tells me we should just let other countries work out their own problems regardless of how many people get killed. In either case the US will be hated until there is someone out there bigger than we are.

The Serbs have some wonderful and very gracious tennis players. No wonder their country is so enamored with them.

well put, people seem to forget this too often. Its a shame that the US stood by for so long

hjminard
01-24-2008, 01:40 PM
Boy do I like people talking about things they dont know sh*t about. Im done with this thread, its becoming idiotic.

Sadly, that applies to a WHOLE LOT of people ...

Kevin T
01-24-2008, 02:09 PM
40 different countries in 60 years. Has been at least 18 months since Sudan, 18 months before that it was Iraq and 18 months before that Afghanistan. Gotta just be itching to make it 41 countries by now, surely you have a stockpile that needs using up? who is it gonna be next, Iran, N Korea, Syria????

This from the UK, the original Empire/ethnic cleanser? Give me a break. Seems to me like the UK is always along for the ride, eh? Guess we're (the USA) doing the job you guys used to do but can't anymore, so now you're our toothy little sidekick? The sins of the father...

Alex09
01-24-2008, 02:35 PM
i am born serb in novi sad, i dislike to government and its policy

who doesnt hate america? lol

its government that is hated here

America is the least favourably country

Alex09
01-24-2008, 02:38 PM
least " likeable "

Phil
01-24-2008, 03:37 PM

Let me know when and why the USA bombed Thailand, Peru and Indonesia-I don't recall wars or bombing campaigns in those countries. Most of the other countries you listed were bombed during WW II-a war in which the USA prevented YOU from speaking German as your first language.

As a UK person, you've got no moral ground to stand on and wag your finger at the USA. The UK committed probably the most criminal bombing campaign in the history of mankind, with it's nighttime bombing campaigns agains historic German cities which had absolutely no strategic importance. The British bombed poorly-defended and unimportant German cities under the cover of night, while the American 8th Army Air Force bombed German military and industrial targets by day, and suffered massive losses. What a wanker you are.

superman1
01-24-2008, 03:51 PM
stupid comment!

I agree, your comment is stupid. You aren't intelligent enough to see what I was saying, so once again I have to spell it out.

"Get over it" is in reference to the Serb who says he still has feelings of hate towards Americans. He hates the American government, which is understandable, but he also has harsh feelings towards the PEOPLE living in America, who had nothing to do with anything.

So I guess that includes all of the Serbs living in America.

No Drop Shots
01-24-2008, 04:58 PM
Let me know when and why the USA bombed Thailand, Peru and Indonesia-I don't recall wars or bombing campaigns in those countries.......... What a wanker you are.

As you are blissfully unaware of your own countries 'peaceful' history, may I enlighten you?

http://www.robert-fisk.com/robert_elias_25sept2001.htm

Scroll down the page, you may learn something...... although there is quite a lot to read and there might be some long complicated words - can you manage??

All the facts that I stated are correct (in fact having done some more research the list of countries that have been bombed by US could be expanded even further.) Having my facts straight doesn't make me a wanker. You not knowing the history of your own country or the acts thats it has committed and the fact that you get abusive when you don't like hearing the truth, does however say volumes about you!!

Phil
01-24-2008, 05:04 PM
As you are blissfully unaware of your own countries 'peaceful' history, may I enlighten you?

http://www.robert-fisk.com/robert_elias_25sept2001.htm

Scroll down the page, you may learn something......

All the facts that I stated are correct (in fact having done some more research the list of countries that have been bombed by US could be expanded even further.) Having my facts straight doesn't make me a wanker. You not knowing the history of your own country or the acts thats it has committed and the fact that you get abusive when you don't like hearing the truth, does however say volumes about you!!
Who said the USA has a "peaceful" history? It doesn't. But idiots who come on here and lie, and who live in glass houses, need to be called on their hypocrisy. I won't even bother to open your link-I'm quite familiar with Fisk and his anti-American rants-I got tired of reading him-yes, he, literally, makes me want to go to sleep. Figures you'd choose such a "balanced" source. Nothing to learn there.

You're not only a wanker, but a hypocrite. Before there was the USA, there was ENGLAND.

Note: I DID end up opening the link, and it wasn't a Fisk article after all. But there is nothing there about the US "bombing" of Peru, Thailand and Indonesia. You've either misread the lists of countries at the end of the article, or you're just trying to spew more lies. If the USA is so bad, why is it necessary for you to further your "case" with lies and distortion?

No Drop Shots
01-24-2008, 05:45 PM
there is nothing there about the US "bombing" of Peru, Thailand and Indonesia. You've either misread the lists of countries at the end of the article, or you're just trying to spew more lies. If the USA is so bad, why is it necessary for you to further your "case" with lies and distortion?

Thailand was bombed during WWII. Indonesia and Peru do appear in the list if you attempt to read the list again. The number 1958 (a date) is written next to the word Indonesia and the number 1965 (well done, yes thats a date as well) is written next to the word Peru.

The facts are very easy to verify and to read about, use Google!!!

Also, am not here to either berate/defend either US or England, just to state facts. And the fact is that USA has bombed over 40 countries since 1945- FACT. Read into that what you want, US is peace loving/US is war-mongering... i don't really give a ****, but the fact remains!!

Not entirely sure what your problem is other than you prefer life with your head in the sand. The facts stated are correct, it is not my problem you don't believe them.

''Patriotism is your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries simply because you were born in it''

Thats me done, cant be bothered writing down answers to dumb arses that don't have the intellectual capacity to read them!!

Phil
01-24-2008, 05:49 PM
Thailand was bombed during WWII. Indonesia and Peru do appear in the list if you attempt to read the list again. The number 1958 (a date) is written next to the word Indonesia and the number 1965 (well done, yes thats a date as well) is written next to the word Peru.

The facts are very easy to verify and to read about, use Google!!!

Not entirely sure what your problem is other than you prefer life with your head in the sand. The facts stated are correct, it is not my problem you don't believe them.

''Patriotism is your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries simply because you were born in it''

Thats me done, cant be bothered writing down answers to dumb arses that don't have the intellectual capacity to read them!!
Indonesia and Peru are on the list of US "Interventions", Thailand is nowhere to be found and Peru also ends up on use of WMD list-which I don't know about. When did the USA use WMD in PERU? This isn't about "history" (or patriotism), it's about your lies and distortions. I learned a bit of history, but it wasn't through using Google. That's more your kind of history.

MilanATP#1
01-24-2008, 06:19 PM

Wrong war there, that was farther back.

Pro_Tour_630
01-24-2008, 07:59 PM
nice that can apply to any Muslim as well :)

Phil
01-25-2008, 09:26 AM
I was joking I knew I will get a reaction out of you:)
No, you weren't joking. "Joking" implies humor. I think you actually believe this.

Tshooter
02-04-2008, 01:59 AM
"2nd round of ellections is on 3rd of Feb so we will win no issues there."

48% of the vote for Nikolic? At least he lost.

By the way, both were kidding the people if they think Serbia is keeping Kosovo. That ain't happening.

You can go with Russia/Kosovo/Isolation/Poverty or EU/US/Growth. Pick one.

lainey80
02-10-2008, 06:10 PM
that's just like asking or saying that we (Americans) hate all Muslims for attacking us on 9/11.

saram
02-10-2008, 07:05 PM
I was in Kosovo in 1999 when the bombs fell and for a year after that. I can share that what happened had to happen as the region was unstable for over a hundred years. What the Serbs did to the Albanians was heinous and the stories I could share first hand were worse than heinous. As well, and on the other side of the story, the Albanians did the same thing to the Serbs for more than a decade or two prior that.

If Djokovic holds a grudge against me for being in a medevac unit during 1999 and 2000 in Kosovo, then he can be as mad as he'd like and so be it. I'd gladly sit with him and share stories about raped high school girls with all of the men in their families bound in a chair and watching the whole ordeal. Not only were the 'of age' women raped, but each and every single female in the family was raped, the men beaten, and then the men shot. It was PURE genocide to the worst extent.

I spent six months flying with an interpreter that lived that story **** after ****. Her family will never carry on via a male figure as they are all dead.

So the bombs fell. They had to. Not that they had to fall on the Serbs, but they had to fall in order to stop the flow of traffic in the region for us to get in there and stabilize what was going on. To us, it didn't matter if it was a Serb on our helicopter or an Albanian--we just wanted peace and to save the life of the individual on board our helo.

War sucks. Bombs suck. But what happens prior to the bombs falling usually sucks worse than the bombs--just ask the Kurdish people in Northern Iraq.

I hate war, I hate it with a passion and I have served in two of them and got out just prior to the third as I was sick of killing. My favorite player is Tipsy and he's a Serb. I like him for whom he is. I'm smart enough to separate a person from a country and take each person in the world for whom they are--not what they are as a nation.

America sucks ***** in many ways when it comes to being the police force of the world. I hope that people that meet me around this world will look at me as a father and person and not an American--that would be truly underestimating me as an individual.

bluegrasser
02-11-2008, 04:08 AM

...as most threads here do.

lonestar
02-11-2008, 04:59 AM
I was in Kosovo in 1999 when the bombs fell and for a year after that. I can share that what happened had to happen as the region was unstable for over a hundred years. What the Serbs did to the Albanians was heinous and the stories I could share first hand were worse than heinous. As well, and on the other side of the story, the Albanians did the same thing to the Serbs for more than a decade or two prior that.

If Djokovic holds a grudge against me for being in a medevac unit during 1999 and 2000 in Kosovo, then he can be as mad as he'd like and so be it. I'd gladly sit with him and share stories about raped high school girls with all of the men in their families bound in a chair and watching the whole ordeal. Not only were the 'of age' women raped, but each and every single female in the family was raped, the men beaten, and then the men shot. It was PURE genocide to the worst extent.

I spent six months flying with an interpreter that lived that story **** after ****. Her family will never carry on via a male figure as they are all dead.

So the bombs fell. They had to. Not that they had to fall on the Serbs, but they had to fall in order to stop the flow of traffic in the region for us to get in there and stabilize what was going on. To us, it didn't matter if it was a Serb on our helicopter or an Albanian--we just wanted peace and to save the life of the individual on board our helo.

War sucks. Bombs suck. But what happens prior to the bombs falling usually sucks worse than the bombs--just ask the Kurdish people in Northern Iraq.

I hate war, I hate it with a passion and I have served in two of them and got out just prior to the third as I was sick of killing. My favorite player is Tipsy and he's a Serb. I like him for whom he is. I'm smart enough to separate a person from a country and take each person in the world for whom they are--not what they are as a nation.

America sucks ***** in many ways when it comes to being the police force of the world. I hope that people that meet me around this world will look at me as a father and person and not an American--that would be truly underestimating me as an individual.

Man, this is one of the best and most evocative posts I've ever read on this board!

saram
02-11-2008, 05:58 AM
Man, this is one of the best and most evocative posts I've ever read on this board!

When I was in Kosovo, a fellow soldier brought a book and for the life of me, I cannot remember the name of it. But a lot of soldiers were angry with the Serbs. But, within that book, it broke down the history of the Balkans and the region and how the Serbs had done nothing to the Albanians that the Albanians had not done in the past to the Serbs.

The one thing that Americans fail to understand is that there are feuds that go on in other parts of the world that have gone on for centuries. Those two groups have hated one another probably longer than the US has been a country.

And, being in a helicopter, I was able to see most of the areas that were bombed--most were roads and bridges that were supply routes to shut down the region and traffic within the region so 'we' could go in without too much movement on either side and establish stability.

The bombing was NOT like that in Afghanistan or Iraq that I saw which was directly targeted taking out buildings and such.

Tshooter
02-14-2008, 12:44 AM
Wow Saram you found "a book" expressing the situation as morally equivalent. Thankfully we don't let soldiers make policy decisions.
In any event, Kosovo will soon be independent of Serbia. The US and the EU will recognize the new state and that will be that.

saram
02-14-2008, 04:13 PM
Wow Saram you found "a book" expressing the situation as morally equivalent. Thankfully we don't let soldiers make policy decisions.
In any event, Kosovo will soon be independent of Serbia. The US and the EU will recognize the new state and that will be that.

Don't be stupid or coy with me; nor put words out there blasting me. The book was discussing the history of the region--not moral issues. What we took from it was that neither side was better than the other and they were all equal--we just wanted peace within the region. And, as you blast me and my former fellow soldiers who were actually there in the mud and saving lives, you were probably sitting on your fat arse on a couch eating chips and dip.

Tshooter
02-14-2008, 06:01 PM
Saram, I read your comments on another thread, the "sad" death of the terrorist by car bomb. You sound like a nice guy. Very sweet. Child-like. I understood what you took from the book. Like I said, I'm thankful you don't make policy.
Regards.

malakas
02-14-2008, 07:12 PM
Don't be stupid or coy with me; nor put words out there blasting me. The book was discussing the history of the region--not moral issues. What we took from it was that neither side was better than the other and they were all equal--we just wanted peace within the region. And, as you blast me and my former fellow soldiers who were actually there in the mud and saving lives, you were probably sitting on your fat arse on a couch eating chips and dip.

Yes you are right.What happens now,was happening for long ago.It's still the breaking of the old Ottoman umpire that is going on here.Because for 400-500 of years,all the nations of the Balkans could live "peacefully" under the same ruler and it could be a village of muslim albanophones and in the next valley a town of greek merchants and bulgarian shepherds.That's why it's all so complicated now and we also have two balkan wars full of deaths on our back from last century.:neutral:
It's not a simple black and white situation of evil versus good.Noone is innocent and crimes have been commited by both sides.But some politicians try to oversimplify the situation therefore you get such responses from ignorant average-Joes who most likely get their news from Fox and can't find Balkans on the map to save their life..:roll:

tennispro11
02-14-2008, 07:23 PM
Saram, I read your comments on another thread, the "sad" death of the terrorist by car bomb. You sound like a nice guy. Very sweet. Child-like. I understood what you took from the book. Like I said, I'm thankful you don't make policy.
Regards.

You sir, are an idiot. Saram is the very type of person we need to be making policies that don't brow beat everyone into complying with them even when they know it is wrong. Look where following Bush's policies have gotten us.

T

Chauvalito
02-14-2008, 07:42 PM

I wandered into this thread to see if anyone had mentioned Serbian war crimes.

I appreciate your honesty.

Tshooter
02-14-2008, 11:04 PM
"(1) You sir, are an idiot.

(2) Saram is the very type of person we need to be making policies that don't brow beat everyone into complying with them even when they know it is wrong.

(3) Look where following Bush's policies have gotten us."

>Very powerful arguments. You sir, are obviously a very deep thinker. Thank you for giving me something substantial to chew over. Regards.

tennispro11
02-15-2008, 02:58 PM
Thanks for the comments. I try very hard to be a deep thinker. In fact that is all I do. I also get on a tennis forum and act like I am super duper smart and know just about all there is to know. I also shoot down anything that sounds like common sense as well. Thanks for playing. Come again when you can act like a decent person. Maybe you could chew on that for awhile. Regards.

T

Tshooter
02-15-2008, 08:23 PM
Yes, in case I wasn't clear, I was able to tell from your previous comments.
Thanks.

saram
02-15-2008, 08:58 PM
Regards.

You obviously did not understand ANYTHING that I wrote in that thread. I claimed that ALL death is bad. And that if one has to die to prevent massive amounts of innocent people dying, then so be it. While in the military, working in medevac, I had 23 people die in my arms--ALL death is ugly as hell--regardless of the situation.

saram
02-15-2008, 08:59 PM

Yes, heinous crimes. And, maybe it was retribution for what had happened in recent decades to them--I'm not sure. But I do know that they happened on both sides for many years--it was not just one sided anger and hatred.

tennispro11
02-15-2008, 08:59 PM
You obviously did not understand ANYTHING that I wrote in that thread. I claimed that ALL death is bad. And that if one has to die to prevent massive amounts of innocent people dying, then so be it. While in the military, working in medevac, I had 23 people die in my arms--ALL death is ugly as hell--regardless of the situation.

Well said Saram! This guy needs to obviously get a clue!

T

saram
02-15-2008, 09:09 PM
Well said Saram! This guy needs to obviously get a clue!

T

He/she probably has a clue--although one-sided. Probably very narrow minded and concise in his/her thoughts. Not able to think outside of the box, and probably very conservative in his/her thinking. He/she is probably highly intelligent--at least enough to know how to pick and start a fight, and as well--know when to retreat when confronted and leave with kindness at the end of their comments.

It takes being in war to understand war. I cannot for the life of me remember the last president that actually served in a war--yet they all want to send us there. Kosovo was absolutely a must because both sides after fighting for almost five centuries and conducting heinous crimes HAD to have someone go in there and clean house and ensure stability.

saram
02-15-2008, 09:45 PM

I flew on medevac helicopters. I had an interpreter on our helo. Here is what she told me happened to her and her family and was a typical and routine day of ethnic cleansing:

A group of armed Serbs came into her house with guns. Tied all male members up and then the female members following that. Put all of the male members of the family in chairs in a semi-circle to watch what happened next.

One by one, each and every female of the family was raped repeatedly by each of the armed Serbs. Once done, they shot each of the male family members execution style in the head. They then untied all of the females and told them to run and bear Serb-blooded babies.

They then went upstairs, lit a candle and cut the gas line in the house. As all of the women watched at gunpoint, the house caught on fire when the gas leak reached the flame of the candle.

We flew over burning roofs day in and day out. We knew each and every time what had occurred when we saw them after our translator shared her story. Sad and true and it happened in the reverse decades before with reversed roles.

What was amazing, was her ability to smile every day regardless of her past--truly inspirational, to say the least.

Tshooter
02-15-2008, 11:36 PM
At the risk of raising your ire once again, yes, I previously understood from an earlier post that you "claim[ed] that ALL death is bad." As I already said, a nice sentiment. I'd enjoy visiting your planet sometime. On planet earth certain deaths are not only "good" they are well deserved.
In any event, I can't think of a less appropriate place for this particular discussion then this board. So I will bow out after this post.

tennispro11
02-15-2008, 11:39 PM
[QUOTE=Tshooter;209 So I will bow out after this post.[/QUOTE]

Thank God!

T