PDA

View Full Version : POG question

devilish_duke
12-13-2004, 10:42 PM
I usually add a replacement grip over the one that's already on a racquet, making it easy to grip and more comfortable. I was wondering if laying a replacement grip over a leather grip on a POG would damage the leather much? Are there any good tacky overgrips without adhesive backings that can be just wrapped on? Thanks.

SocalTennis
12-13-2004, 11:31 PM
try to put a heatshrink tube over your leather grip (use heat gun to make it fit onto your grip. then put the replacement grip on.

El Diablo
12-14-2004, 02:32 PM
You're mixing terms here. REPLACEMENT GRIPS generally have an adhesive backing, OVERGRIPS mostly don't.

SocalTennis
12-14-2004, 04:29 PM
why don't you just take the leather grip out and save it. I did that with all my racquets

danniflava
12-14-2004, 04:40 PM
What's the POG?? :oops:

RacketMaster
12-14-2004, 05:23 PM
The POG is the Prince Original Graphite (technically called the Prince Graphite Classic (original))
It is the best racquet ever made by Prince IMO
It is the king of all baseline racquets, as well as being the racquet used by both Agassi and Chang.........

mary fierce
12-14-2004, 06:59 PM
POG OS also a remarkable S&V tool, as seen in the hand of Paul Annacone in his salad days.

AndrewD
12-15-2004, 11:16 PM
Ah, bless you Mary Fierce. I've just posted a question in the Stringing section about Paul Annacone and the POG O/S and was worried people might have forgotten he was a player and not just a coach.

Any idea's about how the POG O/S plays with the kind of lower tensions Annacone used to use? I'm looking for a replacement racquet and have had my eye on it since I started playing tennis. Its a toss up between the POG and the TT Warrior so any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Xevoius
12-16-2004, 08:29 AM
I strung mine at 54 once with 18 gauge polyester. It was probably down around 50 when it settled and it played great. I have since switched to a 16 gauge for the added power and durability.

El Diablo
12-16-2004, 09:40 AM
I'm a fan of both the POG and the Warrior -- I think that if you can handle the weight, the POG is the better way to go, especially up against hard hitters.

SocalTennis
12-16-2004, 09:56 AM
Any idea's about how the POG O/S plays with the kind of lower tensions Annacone used to use? I'm looking for a replacement racquet and have had my eye on it since I started playing tennis. Its a toss up between the POG and the TT Warrior so any thoughts would be much appreciated.

I started playing tennis about 15 years ago using the POG. Through the course of my tennis life, I have made many attemps to find a better racquet. I have used graphite II ,PS. Classic 95, I. Radical, I. prestige, Lm Radical, Lm. Prestige, Wilson Tour 90, 95. you name it. I had waisted so much money on those "new and improved" technology..

Quess what, none of those racquets give me the pop, feel, and confort like the good old POG. Now, I have four of them. Be careful though, if you try out the POG and you don't like the way it play, try it at a different tension, don't go too low because the racquet going to feel dead that any tension below 61-62. my 2 cents

TripleB
12-16-2004, 10:05 AM
Over time, using an overgrip (and maybe not using an overgrip) will remove the rich color of the leather underneath. I use an overgrip on my POG mids and the leather has now turned to a dull tan color.

The best tacky overgrip I've found (and I've tried them all) is the Wilson Cushion Aire Super Tack overgrip.

TripleB

AndrewD
12-16-2004, 03:20 PM
All you folk who are using the POG O/S, would you consider you've got fast, medium or slow swingspeeds?

Mine's slow to medium, very classical strokes which is why I like the low tensions.

Xevoius
12-16-2004, 03:25 PM
My stroke has slowed down since I have added weight and as a result my percentage has gone up. I am thinking the racquet is in the hit zone longer with the slower swing.

AndrewD
12-16-2004, 03:50 PM
I also think that using a slower swing you have the tendency to prepare much earlier, especially if you hit quite flat like I do. You're always looking to catch the ball at the right time so you can use the pace the other player generates. Also, I find it makes me accutely aware of the position of the racquet face.

RacketMaster
12-16-2004, 05:08 PM
I would say that I've got a medium-fast swingspeed and I'm trying to get it faster as I am thinkin of switching more towards a full-western forehand.
just FYI:
POG OS+western forehand+fast swingspeed=OBSCENE topsin

Nyl
12-16-2004, 11:13 PM
for those who've used the heatshrink sleeve, dun u think the sleeve is too heavy that shifts the weight to the handle ? i've that experience n it ruins the balance. in order to keep the same balance as before, it needs couple grams @ 12 or 3&9. that'd increases the rac by ~ 0.6 - 0.7 oz. in total. that sucks.

tennisee
12-17-2004, 02:46 AM
In reply to AndrewD (another Aussie) I bought a couple of OS TT Warriors when they were available from TW (and was gratified to see them in the shops here at $AU 430 when I had paid $US 75) but I found they were lighter than specified, by about 0.5 oz. This may be worth knowing. I added weight to handle and head, and enjoyed the way they played (at 62 lb). Have since changed, however, to Volkl Cat 10.[/quote]

AndrewD
12-17-2004, 04:06 PM
tennisee,
that was interesting to hear. I actually missed out on the **** auction so no TT Warrior for me. The price went up to 175 and not going to pay that for something discontinued and which I can get overseas for less.

The stated weights are quite an issue I think. When I checked out my Prince Precision Mono it was supposed to have a weight of 11.6 as opposed to the POG at 12.3 ounces. Tennis Warehouse publishes the 'strung weight' whereas, when I had a look at another listing they had the POG weight at 11.6 same as my Mono.

That difference is pretty important to me as in other regards the POG and Precision Mono stack up pretty well. The Mono is rated 62 for flex, the POG 63. The Mono has a swingweight of 329, the POG 326. The Mono has an open 16x21 string bed, the POG an open 16x18.

The only area I can't work out is the Balance. USRSA rates the Mono's balance at 31.12 and Tennis Warehouse rates the POG as 9points headlight.

If that is similar plus the overall weight the change wouldn't be as dramatic as some have suggested.