PDA

View Full Version : Whats harder tennis or badminton?

THSBOI
01-24-2008, 08:57 PM
I dont know i think they're equally hard in a way

RestockingTues
01-24-2008, 09:04 PM
They're completely different sports, you can't compare them.
For tennis you need power and strength, but for badminton it's more hand-eye coordination, agility, and better reflexes. Points are generally longer and the periods in between points for badminton are shorter as well.

Deuce
01-24-2008, 09:29 PM
Being a tennis player, I figured that badminton would be relatively easy.
A few years ago, I played my then boss - who was an Olympic level athlete in track - in badminton.
He absolutely destroyed me. Not with his athletic ability - I've always been rather athletic myself - but with his knowledge of the game. He consistently kept me entirely off balance. I felt like a puppet on a string - he was toying with me.
I never thought that I could be so outplayed.

Bottom line is that badminton, at a certain level, is much more difficult than it looks.

RestockingTues
01-24-2008, 09:34 PM
Yupp, tennis players can improve at badminton at an alarming rate though, so keep playing with your boss and hopefully you'll get a raise :P

I used to think that badminton was a pansy sport, but now I've realized that anyone who mocks badminton is either totally nonathletic or they've never played before.

Hot Sauce
01-24-2008, 10:03 PM
I think badminton is easier to pick up and play.

@Deuce
What if you played him in tennis?

Deuce
01-24-2008, 10:36 PM
I think badminton is easier to pick up and play.
It all depends on the level we're talking about.

@Deuce
What if you played him in tennis?
That wouldn't have been a problem for me. I'm a tennis player, he was not. His athletic ability would not have trumped my experience (and my own athletic ability).
He was obviously more experienced in badminton than I was - that's why he could do anything he wanted with me.

Hot Sauce
01-24-2008, 10:57 PM
When someone asks for the "harder" sport to play, I generally compare them at a beginners level. In this case I see it as if you haven't played either sport before, which would be easier to be decent at?

I guess if the person doesn't specify which level, I just assume it's the beginners level.

Frodo Baggins
01-24-2008, 11:05 PM
Badminton wayy easy:) Tennis A lill Harder.. :) Whoever Plays Badminton here I Can Beat you Soooo Easyly!!! ;) Tennis You Win..:)

CanadianChic
01-24-2008, 11:11 PM
I played badminton in high school and didn't become interested in tennis until I was in my twenties. Personally, I found badminton much, much easier than tennis.

Joe Average
01-24-2008, 11:47 PM
Yes. This looks easy. I mean ... it's not like they have to worry about a bouncing ball.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZ2k-tsX5KE

hyogen
01-24-2008, 11:54 PM
yeah...and the badminton .....cock? i can't remember what the ball thing is called....sorta floats in the air.

from waht i've heard though it is "the fastest sport"....

I've played badminton in high school and used to rock at it... you don't really need athletic ability to be pretty good at that game...just gotta have touch for drop shots and be able to slam the ball.

i'm sure the highest levels of badminton is really competitive, but i'm sure those pros would never have come close in achievement in pro tennis.

CanadianChic
01-24-2008, 11:55 PM
yeah...and the badminton .....cock? i can't remember what the ball thing is called....sorta floats in the air.

It is called a shuttlecock but is more often referred to as a birdie.

Alexio92
01-25-2008, 11:00 AM
Well I recently started playing badminton a bit, I am already quite good for playing 1 time a week for 3 months. I am going to go to county (UK) tryouts see how I get on, will be funny lol.

RemedySLO
01-25-2008, 11:31 AM
Heres my 2 cents.....Badminton is VERY easy to pick up and play, at least rallying. I know that badminton gets very crazy and intense at higher levels, but it is an easier sport to pick up and play compared to tennis. I personally know alot of people that i could go out and play a game of badminton with and have it be fun. Out of that same group of people id say 1/16th of them could go play with me on a tennis court and have it be worthwhile. Tennis I feel is more of a game of balancing control with power compared to badminton where you are balancing speed and dexterity. But like with any sport, it all depends on the level you are playing at. John McEnroe compared the top 3 players in tennis of his time to climbing mt. everest. There is such a huge difference in skill in the top 3 than the other thousand players.

Joe Average
01-25-2008, 11:36 AM
John McEnroe compared the top 3 players in tennis of his time to climbing mt. everest. There is such a huge difference in skill in the top 3 than the other thousand players.

John McEnroe climbed Mt. Everest? Cool!

firstservethenvolley
01-25-2008, 12:15 PM
Badminton is easy to pick up and play. It's easy to play with your friends and rally. I am pretty good at badminton but got whopped all ends up by a guy who has been playing regularly for years.

RemedySLO
01-25-2008, 12:43 PM
John McEnroe climbed Mt. Everest? Cool!

Ya, you didnt know that? What an IDIOT

Joe Average
01-25-2008, 12:46 PM
Ya, you didnt know that? What an IDIOT

No. I really didn't know this. When did he do it?

hyogen
01-25-2008, 01:22 PM
They're completely different sports, you can't compare them.
For tennis you need power and strength, but for badminton it's more hand-eye coordination, agility, and better reflexes. Points are generally longer and the periods in between points for badminton are shorter as well.

do you really have to be THAT fit for badminton though...much smaller court.

check out my new thread comparing Tennis and Racquetball. hehehe http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=177506

mdjenders
01-26-2008, 01:24 AM
Badminton is tough. I agree that it is much easier to pick up for tennis players. The mechanics of the smash have a lot of similarity to tennis serving and overheads. Badminton can be very exhausting, because of the constant stopping and starting, moving in and out. The constant need to cover the short drop shots yet still be able to retreat and smash is very draining on all the leg muscles, as well as the knee and ankle joints.

lethalfang
01-26-2008, 02:45 PM
Badminton is much easier to learn, i.e. it is much much easier for 2 beginners to hold a rally in badminton without instruction, so that they can have some fun and maybe start to play more.
Two beginners try to rally in tennis? Forget it.