PDA

View Full Version : Can these "Light Weights" be made Great?

TripleB
12-14-2004, 08:05 AM
After adding just 3 grams of lead tape to my POG mid and seeing what a difference it made in my volleys (in the racquet or in my head I'm not sure), it's got me wondering if you could take a lighter racquet that is semi-solid feeling and make it into the holy grail.

So, of the following three racquets which one starts out with the best combo of stability, comfort, control, and power?

Head Liquid Metal Radical Midplus

Volkl Tour 9 V-Engine 16x19

Wilson ProStaff Tour 95

Yes, I'm now scraping up every option that I can think of for creating the holy grail :lol:

Still trying to really force myself to go with the RDX-500 Mid or RDX-500 Midplus and add some lead to get more power if needed but just can't seem to pull the trigger.

TripleB

monologuist
12-14-2004, 09:33 AM
The Volkl out of those 3 was far and away the best combo of those attributes that I tried (tried them all)...I'd be afraid that lead would make the Volkl too powerful though, but depends on how much topspin and pace you already hit with....

BreakPoint
12-14-2004, 12:19 PM
Head Liquid Metal Radical Midplus: Like it for just about everything.

Volkl Tour 9 V-Engine 16x19: Like it for serving and for volleying. Don't like it for groundstrokes.

Wilson ProStaff Tour 95: Don't really like it for anything, maybe just returns of serve.

My 2 cents.......

thejerk
12-15-2004, 11:03 PM
The radical was easier to customize. I'm am still trying to find right stuff for 16X18 9ve. The ve has alot of power. I weighted both up to just over 12oz and the radical is awesome, even for spin. Radical caused wrist pain but it may have been me. I think the radical also hit heavier balls. It felt kind of like the hps 6.1 with less vibration.

thejackal
12-16-2004, 05:04 PM
I have an I Rad leaded up to about 11.8 oz, 10ish pt HL. I'm getting a HPS 6.1 soon as well. Will post thoughts.

moosryan
12-16-2004, 05:35 PM
lm radical: read my review http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/viewtopic.php?t=25921

never hit with the ve 9 only the 10

wilson tour 95: excellent frame in my opinion, though many don't like it. a bit unstable, so yes the lead could help. really good spin, touch and awsome volleys. not the most comfortable stick though, but that could've been due to using leather w/o an overgrip.