PDA

View Full Version : A Question For All the Over 50s Doubles Players

BlaackSheeep
01-25-2008, 08:02 AM
I'm turning 50 this year and I play a lot of doubles and very little singles. I've been using a combination of under 100" players rackets which I really like but I've been thinking about switching to something lighter and larger. The Prince Speedport Red and Silver look good to me but I can't get past the power issue. I have plenty of power but I'm not as fast as I used to be and my reach on wide shots suffer too although I do have a one handed backhand and a good serve. My question is, what do all you over 50s doubles teams use?
Thanks

AR15
01-25-2008, 08:10 AM
I'm not quite 50, but I have use the Prince Red, White, and Black for both doubles and singles.

I found the red too light and the White almost perfect. I like the black without the stringport inserts, where it plays almost identically to the White.

I use a poly hybrid in the White to tame the power, add control, and help create a lot of spin. Give it a demo and I think you'll find it likeable.

fuzz nation
01-25-2008, 08:42 AM
It might help to let us know what you are using now just so that suggestions aren't completely out of left field. I've found that for me, there's a really fine line between one frame that's easier to handle compared to another that is too light for me to effectively use up at net. You may even be happier with a frame that is no lighter than yours, but has a more headlight balance. Lots of options out there...

BlaackSheeep
01-25-2008, 08:48 AM
It might help to let us know what you are using now just so that suggestions aren't completely out of left field. I've found that for me, there's a really fine line between one frame that's easier to handle compared to another that is too light for me to effectively use up at net. You may even be happier with a frame that is no lighter than yours, but has a more headlight balance. Lots of options out there...

I've been using Wilson Nblade 98. Its great for groundstrokes but not so much for volleys

sciwriter
01-25-2008, 09:46 AM
I like Dunlop M-fil 300. Great on groundstrokes and light enough for volleys.

arf22
01-25-2008, 10:04 AM
Around the 50 point I changed to a racquet that was similar in many regards (head size, sw, balance) but a little lighter (PT280 -> Dunlop 300G). Worked for me. I use a bit of lead in the head for stability.

The area of the game that I was trying to address was volley reaction - got the results I was looking for.

Perhaps an approach like this would work for you?

toganitu
01-25-2008, 09:53 PM
Hi BlaackSheeep,

I am in my mid-40 and I play in the 4.0-4.5 league. I use my leadup nfury MP for my single and most of my double. But when tired I will use either my RDS 003 or my Volkl Cat 1. Both are fairly light with the 003 much stiffer and much more power. I add about 1 ounce 3/4 on my nfury and found that its flex and new heft have helped my aching shoulder and elbow immensely. I was using the ncode 95 16x18 for double. Great stable frame but it hurt my shoulder somehow. Curiously, my leadup RDS003 is stiffer and much lighter but it hasn't caused me any problems.
At 5' 7'' and 150lbs I found that a frame between 11 .. 12 oz with very low flex (less than 60) and many points head light works best for me. Definitively no head heavy frame for me (caused my tennis elbow). Also I lost ball control at anything bigger than 100 sqinch.

On the side note: I just got 2 redondos MP and will try it for a few set tomorrow. Anirut, a redondo board member, let me borrow his about 6 months ago. Great flexible frame but I prefered both my RDX 500MP and his PK core #6 on groundstroke then. I really like the PK core frame. My game has improved so much since summer with some coaching help so I want to give the redondo another chance.

Tony.

skraggle
01-26-2008, 10:17 AM
Consider giving the TT Warrior OS a try. It's a true oversize with impeccable net manners and a really nice swingweight. TW loved it in their review (check the review on their web site) and now I know why.

lefty10s
01-30-2008, 05:33 PM
Hi. 48, and play lots of doubles as well as singles. 5.0 player, state, sectionally, and nationally ranked in both. I use Head Micro Gel Extreme team(107 headsize), strung at 50 lbs with 17 gauge multi-filament. Over past 2 years I have used Speedport Blue(not bad, too much power I think), and am toying with the Speedport Red.
Think you have to play with frame that is manueverable enough to make up for our getting older. Unless you play doubles like the new era, banging from the baseline, then test out some frames 102-107 headsize that pop your serve, make your volleys solid, and that you can hit solid returns(not necessarily winners). That way you maximize what doubles is all about.
Good luck.

lefty10s
dhh10s@aol.com

NLBwell
01-30-2008, 09:16 PM
I'm 51 and use either the original Kennex Black Ace or a leaded-up POG. My partner uses a Flexpoint Prestige.

When the good weather comes, I'll check out rackets with bigger head sizes. I've done that several times before, but have ended up getting rid of the bigger headed rackets. The only one I liked was the Pro Tour 280, which I used for several years. I'll look at maybe Fishers and Yonexes.

fuzz nation
01-31-2008, 09:38 AM
I agree, the nBlade is a fun hitter from the baseline, but despite its somewhat crisp feel, it is rather flexible overall and doesn't put too much pop on a volley compared to some others. I also may remember that the nBlade wasn't listed as being very headlight, but in your case, that may be a good thing - you could potentially play better doubles with a more headlight racquet. They tend to handle with better maneuverability, even if they're a bit heavier, and that can be a big boost up at net with reaction shots and stability.

The Volkl DNX 9, Yonex RDS 003, and maybe even the new Donnay Pro One oversize look like potential fits along with the Dunlop M-Fil 300 and Prince Warrior that were suggested earlier. They all have a little backbone, some headlight balance (the Dunlop is a little less HL than some others), and ought to have potential for good doubles work. If you demo, don't be afraid to try something that is heavier as long as it is also headlight. You may find that it is a lot easier to block an assertive volley than when you play with a lighter frame that can be pushed around more by the ball.

Kaptain Karl
01-31-2008, 10:26 AM
I'm 51 and play with several guys 45+ who range from 4.0 - 5.5. I can definitely state there's no "pattern" I can see where players move to bigger, lighter, more powerful frames as they cross "The 50 Barrier."

The more common frames I'm seeing are: n6.1s, LM Instincts, Speedport Tours, FXP Prestiges, etc. ... all MPs, IIR. Only one guy I play with uses a Mid (PS 85) and he refuses to demo other sticks ... even though some of us have tried to point out he's not being "out-played" so much as "out-technologied."

Many of my peers are backing-down their tension to add pop, but very few are just changing frames. I use a PK 7G, modded to 12.2 oz ... and I've just started experimenting with a little more lead tape for more "Oomph!" ... even as I'm still backing-off on the tension. I started with it at 64 lbs. I've eased off to 52, moving by two-pound steps. (I stopped for a while at 58 ... and again later at 54....)

- KK

rasajadad
01-31-2008, 10:31 AM
I'm 53 and a 4.5. About two years ago I went from a Ki5 PSE Ionic to a Redondo. SO while I went lighter, I also went smaller.

Rasta
01-31-2008, 11:28 AM
Only 40 but feel like 50+ some days. Yonex RDS 001 Mid.