PDA

View Full Version : Microgel Prestige Pro...Too light?

BMG
01-25-2008, 11:56 AM
I got a chance to hit with the MG Prestige Pro last night and it is certainly a well made stick. Nice flex, balance and beam. My only critisism, for my game at least, is that it swung way too light for a Prestige and did not hit a very heavy ball...although the action was good. The swingweight felt under 310 and the plow through was not as good as the FXP Prestige MP that I had been hitting with. I liked the open string pattern and ability for spin but just couldn't get used to the whippy swing and light weight response. Just didn't feel like I thought a Prestige should re: heft. Anyone else have this feedback?

jace112
01-25-2008, 11:59 AM
yes i do, it's still a very good stick but should not have been put in the Prestige lineage.

mhstennis100
01-25-2008, 02:43 PM
It felt great to me. I use the Dunlop Agel 200, and the Prestige was a great stick.

sureshs
01-25-2008, 02:53 PM
Its strung SW is 316 and it feels like it. It is very head light.

jc883
01-25-2008, 02:58 PM
Some people in other threads mentioned that the MG Pro swings heavier than the MG Mid+, TW has the MG Pro SW at 316 and the MG Mid+ at 320, so the two shouldn't feel too much of a difference, right? Can anyone who tried both share some experience? Thanks!

thejuice
01-25-2008, 03:38 PM
^^^^^

I demoed both extensively on a ball machine (and also hit serves) for over two hours.
My review can be found here:
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=173925

To make it into a short summary, the spin is nice but, as the OP said, it doesn't produce a heavy ball (but the topspin IS nasty). The MP just felt more solid. The Pro can be pushed around IMO.

TsongaBonga
01-25-2008, 04:22 PM
Yeah I felt that too. I think I'm gonna put maybe 5/6g on both 3 and 9 o'clock.

Offshore
01-25-2008, 05:03 PM
Some people in other threads mentioned that the MG Pro swings heavier than the MG Mid+, TW has the MG Pro SW at 316 and the MG Mid+ at 320, so the two shouldn't feel too much of a difference, right? Can anyone who tried both share some experience? Thanks!

I been using, and really liking, the FXP Prestige MP for almost two years. The crispness with control and nice power have worked very well for me. The swingweight is about perfect. I have demoed the MG Prestige Pro and MP racquets during the past couple of weeks and much to my surprise I liked the Pro better. Yes it swings a bit lighter (TW's sw of 316 felt about right) but the sick spin I was getting was refreshing for my game. I could kick serves and mix in some bombs and the control was great on serves. The maneuverability at net for volleys was nice and the spin generation on groundstrokes was phenomenal. I really liked how the frame allowed me to "roll" some nice angles and hit droppers. The MG MP felt great also and reminded me more of a FXP MP with a bigger sweetspot. The MP was sweet on the groundstrokes and had good punch at net. When the dust settled though, the Pro was more fun to play with and allowed me to create more shotmaking and play an all-court game. I may make the switch after giving it another couple of hits. I hope that helps.

jc883
01-25-2008, 06:18 PM
Thanks Offshore and Thejuice for your inputs. Appreciate it!

roller~
01-25-2008, 06:23 PM
You have a big advantage in SW already.
Well now, there is a good chance add the weight(lead tape) to your frame.
It will hop the racket up~!

tennis_hand
01-25-2008, 08:43 PM
as I mentioned in some threads before, sooner or later u are going to need lead tapes to increase the SW. but dudes there just rebuffed my comments without thinking using brains. I use the low SW ps6.0 95. It is the same story.

the SW is too low to hit a powerful shot and easily get pushed around. The pick up feeling is one thing. Beating a tough opponent using the right racket is anothing thing.

quest01
01-25-2008, 09:15 PM
yes i do, it's still a very good stick but should not have been put in the Prestige lineage.

They should have made the Pro version a 100 square inch racket.

0d1n
01-26-2008, 12:00 AM
They should have made the Pro version a 100 square inch racket.
Just buy the Radical "Pro"^^. You can change the decal's to "prestige" if that sort of thing matters to you.

BMG
01-26-2008, 02:49 PM
You have a big advantage in SW already.
Well now, there is a good chance add the weight(lead tape) to your frame.
It will hop the racket up~!

I hit again with it today with a few grams at 3/9 and it helped quite a bit. Very nice frame. Today was doubles and this racquet is great for consistent kick serves and quick volleying. I also found that it helped with touch shots like drops and lobs. While it still feels lighter swinging than the older Prestige models I am getting used to the spin and open pattern. I have it for another week for further demos.

Seacoast Stringer
01-31-2008, 12:58 PM
I been using, and really liking, the FXP Prestige MP for almost two years. The crispness with control and nice power have worked very well for me. The swingweight is about perfect. I have demoed the MG Prestige Pro and MP racquets during the past couple of weeks and much to my surprise I liked the Pro better. Yes it swings a bit lighter (TW's sw of 316 felt about right) but the sick spin I was getting was refreshing for my game. I could kick serves and mix in some bombs and the control was great on serves. The maneuverability at net for volleys was nice and the spin generation on groundstrokes was phenomenal. I really liked how the frame allowed me to "roll" some nice angles and hit droppers. The MG MP felt great also and reminded me more of a FXP MP with a bigger sweetspot. The MP was sweet on the groundstrokes and had good punch at net. When the dust settled though, the Pro was more fun to play with and allowed me to create more shotmaking and play an all-court game. I may make the switch after giving it another couple of hits. I hope that helps.

The microgel Prestige Pro is a great frame. I thought that the combination of spin and maneuverability along with the age old Prestige control/stability was nice. Now if it was priced at under $199 unstrung by a few bucks.........

Mara
01-31-2008, 01:19 PM
I certainly experienced the MP pro similarily - very low swing weight. Some players may like this, I don't. Why did not Head call these racquets Radical instead, because apart from the mid they are certainly no Prestige racquets.

Seacoast Stringer
01-31-2008, 01:24 PM
I certainly experienced the MP pro similarily - very low swing weight. Some players may like this, I don't. Why did not Head call these racquets Radical instead, because apart from the mid they are certainly no Prestige racquets.

I also expected a higher swinging weight but really liked the racquet head speed that I could generate. On the flip side I have never hit with a frame like this with such stability. I get your point re: the name but nonetheless it is a sweet racquet IMHO.

madmanfool
01-31-2008, 01:25 PM
sounds like a great frame to costumize

OnyxZ28
01-31-2008, 01:30 PM
The ones that I hit with had lead under the CAP at 12 that I noticed as well as leather and the resulting stick had decent plow, but not to the level of the previous Mids.

sureshs
01-31-2008, 02:07 PM
It is a classic HL racquet - 95 si, almost 12 oz and 1 inch HL. The PS95 has a even smaller SW. It is very comfortable partly due to this (and partly due to the MG). It is mistakenly called the Pro, because no self-respecting pro, ATP or WTA, will use a 316 SW! But unless you are a high-level player, it is a very arm-friendly and adequate stick.

bcast66
01-31-2008, 04:28 PM
i would tell you how it feels but any frame larger then 95 feels really weird to me. i cant hit sweetspot as consistent because theres bigger margin for error atleast for me. i play with 93 square inch prestige mid lm/flexpoint/mg i have all 3 types.

jc883
01-31-2008, 07:28 PM
A few of the pros do use the MG Prestige Pro(PJ?), Hyung-Taik Lee, Jurgen Melzer, and Simone Bolelli, all three ranked in the top 100. A couple other threads have pics of Melzer using a MG Prestige Pro with string pattern 16X19, I am sure they do some customizing to their frames to increase the swing weight.

CityHeightsTennis
01-31-2008, 07:29 PM
hmmm if it's too light maybe i wont buy it after all.......

jc883
01-31-2008, 07:35 PM
If the MGP Pro SW is too light, then the MGP MP SW is not heavy either. TW has the MP SW at 320, abt 4 points higher than that of the Pro. 4 points is not much swing weith I think. So only the Mid feels right in terms of the SW?

bruinduke
01-31-2008, 08:45 PM
Maybe it's not fair to comment if the Microgel Prestige Pro is too light as I had RPNY increase the unstrung weight of my Microgel Prestige Pros to 335 and change their balance to 31cm. After my first hit I was thinking I made a mistake, but after a couple more sets I am starting to love the MGPP. Granted I had to flatten out my forehand a bit to tame the extra pop, but it is really clicking at the net, serve, and groundstrokes. The only area where I haven't dialed in is offensive topspin lobs against a net rusher.

sureshs
01-31-2008, 09:58 PM
i would tell you how it feels but any frame larger then 95 feels really weird to me. i cant hit sweetspot as consistent because theres bigger margin for error atleast for me. i play with 93 square inch prestige mid lm/flexpoint/mg i have all 3 types.

The Pro is 95. I have measured it. It is NOT 98.

sureshs
01-31-2008, 09:59 PM
A few of the pros do use the MG Prestige Pro(PJ?), Hyung-Taik Lee, Jurgen Melzer, and Simone Bolelli, all three ranked in the top 100. A couple other threads have pics of Melzer using a MG Prestige Pro with string pattern 16X19, I am sure they do some customizing to their frames to increase the swing weight.

Yes, and then it is no longer the same racquet. They must be adding at least 20 points to its SW - totally different monster then.

sureshs
01-31-2008, 10:00 PM
hmmm if it's too light maybe i wont buy it after all.......

Why don't you demo it and decide?

Anton
01-31-2008, 10:40 PM
I got a chance to hit with the MG Prestige Pro last night and it is certainly a well made stick. Nice flex, balance and beam. My only critisism, for my game at least, is that it swung way too light for a Prestige and did not hit a very heavy ball...although the action was good. The swingweight felt under 310 and the plow through was not as good as the FXP Prestige MP that I had been hitting with. I liked the open string pattern and ability for spin but just couldn't get used to the whippy swing and light weight response. Just didn't feel like I thought a Prestige should re: heft. Anyone else have this feedback?

So whats the problem exactly? Just add tape.

My pro feels heavy enough, but there are deviations in production so yours maybe a bit underweight.

p3k
02-01-2008, 01:44 AM
I am yet to demo, but I am very suprised... should not have been put in the Prestige line?

How light are we talking about? Lighter than FXP Prestige MP? Or even in the same level with M Speed Pro 1 SLs? Please compare to other sticks...

VikingSamurai
02-01-2008, 03:11 AM

Dude the Prestige mid+ and Pro are 95.. Head measures their frames the outside of the frame, where as Wilson measures from the inside..

Anton
02-01-2008, 08:48 AM
I am yet to demo, but I am very suprised... should not have been put in the Prestige line?

How light are we talking about? Lighter than FXP Prestige MP? Or even in the same level with M Speed Pro 1 SLs? Please compare to other sticks...

dont worry, its plenty heavy - mine was 12.3 oz with dampner and thin OG and about 5-6 points hl

BHud
02-01-2008, 09:06 AM
In order to get a heavier ball, I just added 1/8 oz of lead at both 3 and 9 (1/4 oz total). It immediately improved my serve and seemed to groove well with the rest of my game. I'm not sure, but it feels like a swingweight of around 325-328...not bad for a 12.4 oz racquet! Still maneuverable, but more solid.

Blade0324
02-01-2008, 10:12 AM
I feel the need to add some input on this. I have been hitting with the MGPP for the past 3 mo. and initially really loved this frame. However over some time I have felt it just a bit unstable on volleys so I decided to embark on customization as I have with most of my other frames. I ended up adding 4g of lead at ea. 3 & 9 (8g total) and replace the grip with leather. To my surprise this actually made the frame about the same in terms of how if feels it swings but the stability on volleys has improved as well as this adding a bit more pop to balls when I want to flatten them out and hit a little harder. Serves really have not changed dramatically which is a plus to me. I tried out the MP as well but found it to not have the serve and spin benefits of the Pro. Hope that helps add some insight.

Killer-Angle
06-10-2008, 01:10 PM
I feel the need to add some input on this. I have been hitting with the MGPP for the past 3 mo. and initially really loved this frame. However over some time I have felt it just a bit unstable on volleys so I decided to embark on customization as I have with most of my other frames. I ended up adding 4g of lead at ea. 3 & 9 (8g total) and replace the grip with leather. To my surprise this actually made the frame about the same in terms of how if feels it swings but the stability on volleys has improved as well as this adding a bit more pop to balls when I want to flatten them out and hit a little harder. Serves really have not changed dramatically which is a plus to me. I tried out the MP as well but found it to not have the serve and spin benefits of the Pro. Hope that helps add some insight.

Balance,325mm??