PDA

View Full Version : racquet matching?

lecter255
01-25-2008, 12:51 PM
so i got two 6.0 85 and I want to match them. I am thinking of buying a viper board (not too happy about spending $30 on a board with a bar... if you got alternatives please suggest) and a postal scale and get the two 6.0 to weight the same and have the same balance point. My question is, if the two racquets weight the same and have the same balance point, then will they feel the same when swinging? ie the swingweight, manuverability, stuff like that. also, i have heard that lead tape changes the feel of the racquet. well, if two racquets weight the same and have the same balance point, but one has some lead on it to achieve those spec, will they feel different just because one has lead on it?

if i do decide to match them, i will string them and grip them with the same strings and grips before beginning any matching work.

one more thing, if all else fails, i was thinking of getting a pair of k factor 90. i know wilson doesn't have a good reputation for quality control, but buying both racquets at the same time from TW will probably mean I get two with very similar specs right? anyone has experience in something like that? I wish they sold k factor 90 in matched pairs like the ps tour 90.

VGP
01-25-2008, 01:01 PM
Save your $30 and use a ruler and a dowel rod, in my case I just grab one of my son's drumsticks. Or, you can use your fingers and use the decals on the frame to tell you where you are.

As for lead matching and feel, it depends on how sensitive (or superstitious) you are to those things.
Sampras was ok with this.

Since you have them already, can you tell between them when you pick them up?

I got a pair of PS85s and could tell right away that one was heavier than the other. I did use a postal scale and one was 0.1 oz (around 3g) heavier than the other.

Yeah, I can tell one is heavier, but I can live with that since both do balance the same.

As for you wanting a "matched" pair of k90s. If you want to buy from TW, you can request matching for an additional $20. From what I've read is that TW can match to your specs or choose two (or more) frames from their stock that are close in spec.

J011yroger
01-25-2008, 01:34 PM
My question is, if the two racquets weight the same and have the same balance point, then will they feel the same when swinging? ie the swingweight, manuverability, stuff like that

NO, you can have two racquets with the same static weight, and balance point, and they will have drastically different swingweights depending on where you put the weight.

also, i have heard that lead tape changes the feel of the racquet. well, if two racquets weight the same and have the same balance point, but one has some lead on it to achieve those spec, will they feel different just because one has lead on it?

Eh, not really. Less different than them having a different SW anyhow.

if i do decide to match them, i will string them and grip them with the same strings and grips before beginning any matching work.

Match them before you string and grip them. Easier to put lead on, and more accurate matching unstrung frames.

one more thing, if all else fails, i was thinking of getting a pair of k factor 90. i know wilson doesn't have a good reputation for quality control, but buying both racquets at the same time from TW will probably mean I get two with very similar specs right? anyone has experience in something like that? I wish they sold k factor 90 in matched pairs like the ps tour 90.

Ask TW to pick you out two very similar frames and they will.

J

lecter255
01-25-2008, 03:25 PM
Since you have them already, can you tell between them when you pick them up?

yea i can tell one of them swings heavier, and i just can't play well with the lighter one, it really bothers me. that's why i want to match them. yea i think i'll just get a stick and a tape measure or something to figure out the balance point. btw, do you know what's the conversion from points head light to cm from butt of racquet?

thx for the info jolly. do you get your ncodes and k factors matched? just wondering. also, did you post your guide to string selection yet? if so, where? i can't find it.

J011yroger
01-25-2008, 03:32 PM
yea i can tell one of them swings heavier, and i just can't play well with the lighter one, it really bothers me. that's why i want to match them. yea i think i'll just get a stick and a tape measure or something to figure out the balance point. btw, do you know what's the conversion from points head light to cm from butt of racquet?

thx for the info jolly. do you get your ncodes and k factors matched? just wondering. also, did you post your guide to string selection yet? if so, where? i can't find it.

1 point is 1/8 inch which you can convert to mm.

Have not done the string guide. Will soon, promise.

J