PDA

View Full Version : Pat Rafter?

speedtoburn
01-25-2008, 06:38 PM
What is his legacy?

In his heyday, just how good was he?

tennisphotog
01-25-2008, 06:42 PM
The last great serve and volley player. Also, incredibly well loved by fans and players alike. One of a kind who left the game too early due to injury.

Soonerfan1590
01-25-2008, 08:34 PM
one of my favorite players ever, "sorry mate!"

Miya4 pat
01-25-2008, 08:53 PM
Does anyone know if they are going to televise the Hall of ceremony this Saturday? I don't get to see any Patrick stuff here in America. It would be awesome if someone could post it on YouTube or something!!

Legend of Borg
01-25-2008, 09:07 PM
What is his legacy?

In his heyday, just how good was he?

Won two USO titles, two times Wimbledon finalist (one of them being Goran Ivanisevic's famous feat). As people have said before, a good serve and volleyer, although one of the last ones of his kind. Pity he retired a bit early. He could have won more.

Elina
01-26-2008, 02:09 AM
He will be missed for a long time... He's my absolute favourite player and I don't think anyone can ever be better in my list. :)

A.Davidson
01-26-2008, 05:08 AM
^^^

Exactly! He was great!

He beat Greg Rusedski to win the U.S. Open in 1997 and Mark Philippoussis in 1998 - both in 4 sets.

He lost the Wimbledon final twice - once to Pete Sampras (2000) and once to Goran Ivanisevic (2001).

He was especially well-loved by Australian tennis fans, obviously, because he was Australian, though he never progressed to the final or won the title (his best finish there was a semifinal appearance in 2001, the last year of his career). He was, however, well-liked around the world for his aesthetically pleasing style of play and good-natured personality.

Due to a strip of white in his otherwise brown hair, his nickname is "Skunk" or "Skunky" by friends and family, and even as a term of endearment by the media.

He is also notably the shortest-reigning ATP world #1 ever, at 1 week. I believe he held it in June or July 1999.

Great guy, great player - shame he had all those shoulder injuries, or he could've gone five more years.

zagor
01-26-2008, 07:33 AM
Great guy,gave a lot into charity and everybody from players to fans liked him(he did have some problems with Sampras though but that's another story),beatiful playing style.He was a late bloomer and had a lot troubles with his shoulder.IMO his matches with Agassi were some of the most entertaining matches I've ever seen.

BigBUBBA
01-26-2008, 08:04 AM
Nowadays he is modeling for underwear company, Bonds...

slice bh compliment
01-26-2008, 10:10 AM
Not gonna hear much negative about Pat Rafter.
A good man, and not just when the cameras were watching.

thewallylama
01-26-2008, 05:08 PM
I remember during the later days of his career he listed his residence as Bermuda. Interesting move for an Aussie! Sounds nice, actually.

35ft6
01-26-2008, 08:47 PM
It seems like a paradox, but Rafter at times appeared to be a scrappy, almost counterpunching volleyer. Didn't have the best groundstrokes in the world but obviously adequate. Sweated a lot. Made me tired watching him. Was very athletic and he really needed every bit of that athleticism, he often seemed to all reaction, very little anticipation. He seemed to play catch up a lot, like he was caught off guard, but somehow he would get there and make the play. In contrast to somebody like McEnroe or Edberg, who just seemed to know where to be at the net, always a step ahead of the guy on the baseline. And when he first started becoming a top player, a huge heart throb. Remember the girls loved Rafter. And he had a hot girlfriend, who went on to become his now not as hot wife. And he was the champion my freshman/sophomore year at college, my first year in NYC, and it was cool to think it was only going on a few miles away from campus, had I only known how easy it was to take the 7 train to National Tennis Center.

vive le beau jeu !
01-27-2008, 06:29 AM
one of my favorite players ever, "sorry mate!"
eheh... i remember his "sorry mate" ! :)
... one of my favorite players ever, too.
he was a great champion... his achievements have already been mentionned but maybe we can add that he reached the SF of all the slams.

he was a classy player with a lot of fair play, well liked by his peers, i think (excepted this little incident with pete, maybe ?).
an amazing volleyer, in a very athletic style... i enjoyed the way he was giving everything, very "generous in the effort" (makes me think about baghdatis in this way, although their games are very different, of course).

l_gonzalez
01-27-2008, 06:45 AM
what was the incident with Pete Sampras? I don't really know the story behind that.

Agassi vs Rafter matches were something special, the 2000 and 2001 SF's at Wimbledon were absolutely amazing!

vive le beau jeu !
01-27-2008, 09:07 AM
what was the incident with Pete Sampras? I don't really know the story behind that.

Agassi vs Rafter matches were something special, the 2000 and 2001 SF's at Wimbledon were absolutely amazing!
yes these matches were really cool ! :) nice opposition of style...

about the story with sampras... here are some TTW references :
This is a video of Pete Sampras getting very angry after losing when the chair umpire overruled a fault on match point. This video was from the Sampras vs Rafter Cincy 1998 Masters.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qu9XcXz_YSU
and in this thread you should find more informations (including about the 1998 US open SF) :
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?p=519847&highlight=sampras+rafter+semifinal+1998

but if they called each other to apologize... let's remember this peaceful outcome ! ;)