PDA

View Full Version : Commentary on comparing power between rackets:

ferrari_827
12-14-2004, 12:36 PM
I think it's unwise to draw quick conclusions about the power levels when comparing rackets just from demos. Reasons ?

The rackets are strung at different tensions from each other, have different strings, and varying amounts of string wear. For a more accurate test, the rackets would have to be strung at the same tension, using the same string, at the same time.

Just a 7lb drop in tension can mean the difference between a racket which has almost no power to one with decent power. I had one experience with the RDTi70 long (18x20) which felt it had no power at first (57lbs), but felt like at rifle at 48lbs.

ollinger
12-14-2004, 12:49 PM
You have a knack for starting with false assumptions to generate absurd conclusions. NO, the racquets are not strung with different string -- my proshop strings all his demos with the same kind of string, as I suspect do many proshops. And yes, they are strung at different tensions because they are engineered to wear different tensions. Would you test a Corvette and a Civic with the same size tires?? So, if anything, one gets a MORE valid assessment with demos,, particularly if they are all from the same source.
________
ExotycCharm live (http://camslivesexy.com/cam/ExotycCharm)

@wright
12-14-2004, 12:51 PM
48 lbs is pretty low. With such a dense string pattern, I'd wonder what kind of control and feel you would get out of stringing that loose. Lately I have been wanting a little more power out of my PBP's, so I am trying to decide whether to drop the tension (I normally string at 58) or add some lead at 3 & 9. I think I'll try dropping the tension 2 or 3 lbs first.

ferrari_827
12-14-2004, 01:07 PM
It depends on the tennis shop. Some tennis shops string the demos with different strings, at least from my experience.