PDA

View Full Version : babolat's and arm problems

topspin6060
01-25-2008, 07:05 PM
I have two prince speedport 03 reds and have been informed that this racquet is not a good players racquet..I am going to continue to play with these until next year, when i enter high school, but I was wondering what any of you guys suggest for a new type of racquet. I have considered babolat, but I have read that the pure drive roddick leads to some tennis elbow issues...I was wondering if the Aero pro drive with cortex also leads to some tennis elbow problems. My game is basically all-court and im a good volleyer, any suggestions?

adams_1
01-25-2008, 07:20 PM
If you're happy with the reds, there's no real need to ditch them just because someone told you they aren't a good players racquet. I've heard of quite a few high level players using them.

topspin6060
01-25-2008, 07:21 PM
yeah i know but, like they're 240 a piece, i bought one for 180 w/stringing at a racquet sale...but I mean won't my game be better with a decent players stick

vndesu
01-25-2008, 07:24 PM
if you are going to try a babolat try the pure storm.
the pdr and aeropro are really stiff.

topspin6060
01-25-2008, 07:31 PM
i'm 14 and have a decently strong arm...still think pdr and aero pro drive would be too tough on the arm? ive played with the aero once or twice..my friend has it and i thought it was pretty good...idk

Duzza
01-25-2008, 07:35 PM
yeah i know but, like they're 240 a piece, i bought one for 180 w/stringing at a racquet sale...but I mean won't my game be better with a decent players stick

Not necessarily. Just stick with them until you feel you need to switch, and by the sounds of it you can keep them for a while.

Alafter
01-25-2008, 07:36 PM
No, your game will not get better with another racquet. Is there any reason why your game will improve with a new racquet?

quest01
01-25-2008, 07:38 PM
I have used the PDR in the past and I have never developed any arm problems.

Alafter
01-25-2008, 07:43 PM
On the other hand, you know, if you just FEEL like switching racquets, then no argument here. It's like saying "I want to do it, I have the money to do it, and it's my money." No arguments there, period. It's a right :)

That being the case, if I felt like spending money, it'd be the PDR.

topspin6060
01-25-2008, 07:44 PM
I have used the PDR in the past and I have never developed any arm problems.

THANK YOU!

thats what i wanted to hear-if it would give me arm problems or not...are you a teenager and ahve a strong arm?

caesar66
01-25-2008, 07:46 PM
Lots of people don't like babolats because they are geared directly for the modern game rather than being "traditional player's racquets" like the ps85, etc. I am sure some folks have developed arm problems for one reason or another, but most likely this is due to technique. A ton of college and pro players use babolats and they don't seem to complain of arm trouble or anything else folks like to dog babolats about. But I second the poster on keeping the speedports, if you like them just keep using them, don't switch because someone says they aren't players sticks. You might try getting ahold of some regular o3 reds as backups, i hear there wasnt much change with the speedports, that way you wouldnt have to spend as much. just a thought.

edit: I used to use a pure drive when I was in High school, 17-18 with average strength. Broke the frame after a bit of unintentional abuse, and went a little heavier with a pure control zylon 360 (basically the original pure storm). That was a sweet racquet. Neither gave me the slightest bit of arm trouble.

topspin6060
01-25-2008, 07:46 PM
No, your game will not get better with another racquet. Is there any reason why your game will improve with a new racquet?

yes there is, if youre playing with a club players racquet (me, I was told by a pro at saddlebrook resort in FL and my coach) then an upgrade to a better/heavier racquet might improve my game

topspin6060
01-25-2008, 07:48 PM
Lots of people don't like babolats because they are geared directly for the modern game rather than being "traditional player's racquets" like the ps85, etc. I am sure some folks have developed arm problems for one reason or another, but most likely this is due to technique. A ton of college and pro players use babolats and they don't seem to complain of arm trouble or anything else folks like to dog babolats about. But I second the poster on keeping the speedports, if you like them just keep using them, don't switch because someone says they aren't players sticks. You might try getting ahold of some regular o3 reds as backups, i hear there wasnt much change with the speedports, that way you wouldnt have to spend as much. just a thought.

yeah my coach told me i can get a preffered player package from prince for 2 racquets, bag, bunch of stuff with 03 reds for like 169, i might consider it, i gotta see about my stick right now,,might just add some lead tape, idk

caesar66
01-25-2008, 07:50 PM
yeah my coach told me i can get a preffered player package from prince for 2 racquets, bag, bunch of stuff with 03 reds for like 169, i might consider it, i gotta see about my stick right now,,might just add some lead tape, idk

Good idea on the lead. at 10.5 ounces and a point headlight, you could add quite a bit of lead and make a great players stick. 105 is not a huge head either, if you like it then modifying is a great way to not have to start from scratch.

Alafter
01-25-2008, 08:02 PM
yes there is, if youre playing with a club players racquet (me, I was told by a pro at saddlebrook resort in FL and my coach) then an upgrade to a better/heavier racquet might improve my game

Eh, well good luck on that then. My coach never speaks about racquets--he's always about getting the right shots on court, and nothing else. But then, arguing about why whose coach is right or wrong is pointless and without basis.

Well, I guess it couldnt hurt to switch. Go PDR. I once dreamt of hitting with it. But then I gave up being a racquet ho-ho and kept going with the Blade.

quest01
01-25-2008, 09:16 PM
THANK YOU!

thats what i wanted to hear-if it would give me arm problems or not...are you a teenager and ahve a strong arm?

I have a very strong arm but i'm in between 20-30 years old.

Micky
01-25-2008, 09:38 PM
I have two prince speedport 03 reds and have been informed that this racquet is not a good players racquet..I am going to continue to play with these until next year, when i enter high school, but I was wondering what any of you guys suggest for a new type of racquet. I have considered babolat, but I have read that the pure drive roddick leads to some tennis elbow issues...I was wondering if the Aero pro drive with cortex also leads to some tennis elbow problems. My game is basically all-court and im a good volleyer, any suggestions?

Hola tops,

For your information the O3 Red has a 73 stiffness grade. That is more than the Babolats. By the way...my first racquet and my first wrist injury was with an O3 Red. Today I play with the AeroProDrive Cortex...and you can see my trophies in the Babolat Alliance thread. :)

Damn...that was bad jejeje. Good luck.

hyogen
03-12-2008, 09:57 AM
i have a VERY sensitive tennis elbow. anything over like 63 RA is too stiff for me.

my main stick is the Pure Storm Tour (std. length). No tennis elbow :D Great pop too. I finally came upon this racquet after about 6 months of demoing.

The extended length Plus version does give me a little tennis elbow.

The Flex rating on the racquet itself (the paper where the strings go) says 68RA stiffness. This cannot be right and TW rates it as an average of 63 stiffness.

bcast66
03-12-2008, 10:31 AM

listen, go try it out for like 1 week against a really hard hitting opponent. thats it the best way to tell if it will hurt you. Humans are built differently, everyone of us has unique ability's and weaknesses.

and use what you play best with i suggest you try the pure storm tour though its a very good racquet. i might even switch from prestige to it, but i would need to lead it up and allot of other stuff first.

JRstriker12
03-12-2008, 10:39 AM
I've played with the PDR for nearly two years and I have no arm or wrist problems.

I think a long as you have good technique, you have nothing to fear from Babolats - but of course some people have tender elbows and wrists and prefer a different racket.

doublefault2008
03-12-2008, 11:05 AM
Go with the pdr. You're young so don't worry about arm problems just yet. Me, I play with the pdr and never had a problem.

tennisdad65
03-12-2008, 11:05 AM
I have a very strong arm but i'm in between 20-30 years old.
Do'nt you have a birth certificate or information from parents etc to pin your age down better? :)

furyoku_tennis
03-12-2008, 12:39 PM
I've used the PDR and the APD w/cortex and haven't had any arm or wrist problems.

Forehand Forever
03-12-2008, 04:38 PM
THANK YOU!

By having a strong arm you should be thinking about having a strong rotator cuff and elbow right? Just because you can throw a ball 100 mph or lift heavy things doesn't mean you have a strong arm for tennis.

samej07
03-12-2008, 06:37 PM
i play with the apdc and string it with straight poly at 60lbs. that makes the racket about as stiff as you possibly could and i still have never had any arm problems. like several people have already said, if you have good fundamentals, then you shouldnt have to worry to much about tennis elbow.

as far as the pdr vs. the apdc goes, i havent hit much with the pdr but during the little time i have i like the apdc better. cant exactly come up with a direct reason why, but i like the apdc alot better. but like everyone says, demo, its up to you.

by the way, im 19 so technically still a teenager. ;)