PDA

View Full Version : Dead balls in new cans?

radical tourist
03-21-2004, 07:18 PM
Has anyone starting out this season noticed tennis balls going flat sooner? I've played 3 matches where I could squeeze the balls by 1/3 to 1/2 by the end of the second set. Could stores be selling last year's leftover inventory?

Anonymous
03-22-2004, 02:33 AM
I've noticed balls are lasting longer now. I see all these used Pro Penn balls around and they still seem good. They also feel bigger in my hand. But in any regard they hit great!

tennisnj
03-22-2004, 06:25 AM
Yes, I have noticed the balls lasting quite less lately. I play w/wilson tennis balls for the most part, & no matter whether indoors or outdoors, i find it very difficult to get 2 sets out of them w/o having to replace them. Most people @ my club have noticed the same thing, so I know I'm not in the minority.

[/quote]River Dell Tennis: Striving to keep our balls in play!

radical tourist
03-23-2004, 07:01 PM
Sofar I've noticed the problem with Penns and these are the USPTA-approved for league play balls. I'm carrying 2 cans to every match till further notice, but that's a darn shame for a manufacturer.

tennisnj
03-24-2004, 04:49 AM
We stopped using Penns years ago @ my club & the tournaments I run because we simply felt they weren't lasting as long as Wilsons, but, in the last 6 months or so, we've noticed the same thing with Wilsons...2 sets & done. Not exactly cost effective!

radical tourist
03-24-2004, 08:17 PM
Thanks. Played with Wilson clay court balls tonight and they still had good nap on them and still at good pressure. Too bad I've still got half a case of Penns to go through.

drop shot
03-29-2004, 08:28 PM
I have noticed it also! I thought it was my imagination.

sorkang724
03-31-2004, 12:21 AM
play with DUNLOP balls...they last so much longer then penn and wilson...but some people told me that they felt DUNLOP balls are bigger and heavier ... :?

leigh
04-26-2004, 12:58 PM
Gamma balls last as long much longer than the wilson's and Penns and as long as the Grand Prix

bsandy
04-29-2004, 11:16 AM
Hey . . . Cold balls loose their pressure sooner.

If you're playing in cold weather, or keeping your balls in the trunk overnight, you might notice a difference.

Leigh . . . Thanks for the comments on Gamma . . . I was wondering, that.

. . . Bud