PDA

View Full Version : Keeping-away the results from the General Pro Player Discussion is not working!

jmsx521
01-26-2008, 05:24 AM
How many times has it been said already? It’s like hitting your head against a wall and trying to break it. If you are trying to filter-out the results from the General Pro Player Discussion and keep them only in the Pro Match Results, then you’re not doing a good job…. So, why not just merge it to one thread called Pro Tennis once and forever... or, maybe make one ATP Tour discussion, and one WTA Tour discussion.

People just keep giving-away, and are going to give-away the results, and you can’t help it! Why creating the illusion that if you are looking at the General Pro Player Discussion, you are going to be safe not finding out the latest scores: You are not going to be safe! How many times has it happened at this Australian Open already?

Azzurri
01-26-2008, 05:44 AM
I totally understand your point, so I stay away from this section until I watch the matches. Probably the only way you can avoid getting those match results.

Sentinel
01-26-2008, 05:50 AM
But if you click on New Post how can you ignore all the threads whose subject has the result.

I am wondering whether you folk only see selected sections (when you don't want to know the result).

Personally, if i have taped a match I would NOT come here until I've seen it.

Vermillion
01-26-2008, 05:54 AM
since you can't avoid it, find a solution. If you don't want to get spoiled, (and since you say it's inevitable if you come on talk tennis forum), then do not access the site until you have watched the matches that you want and etc. Unless, of course, you want to discuss with other people the matches that are live.

"Oh it's 30-all"
"Sweet Backhand for 40-30"
"Yea, I know, right?"
"OMG DEUCE WHAT WAS THAT SHOT?"
"Another deuce!"
"Ok let's go. 1 more point to hold"
"DEUCE 3! WOW"
"Break time"
"YES HE GOT THE BREAK!"
"That was a sweet backhand"
"Yar I know"

It's like going to atptennis.com to click on live scores after the headlines are everywhere.

jmsx521
01-26-2008, 07:53 AM
I already know that someone is going to give away the results somehow, so no, I don't go anywhere on TW's General Pro Player Discussion if I don't want to find the score before seeing a match. But then I still vote for merging the two sections, instead of creating an illusion that if you go to General Pro Player Discussion you'll be safe not finding out the results.

FuriousYellow
01-26-2008, 08:12 AM
since you can't avoid it, find a solution. If you don't want to get spoiled, (and since you say it's inevitable if you come on talk tennis forum), then do not access the site until you have watched the matches that you want and etc. Unless, of course, you want to discuss with other people the matches that are live.

Better yet, stay off the Internet altogether. I watched part of the Djokovic/Federer match up til where Fed was leading in the first set 5-2 and planned to watch the rest when I got home.

I was reading something off the NY Times website, not even related to sports, and in the upper corner I see a tiny image of Fed. I closed the web browser quickly, but not before my brain had processed part of the images caption: "Djokovic Ends.. and then filled in the blanks with ...Federer's Reign/Run/String at the Australian Open."

rommil
01-26-2008, 09:09 AM
I hope those who taped the semis watched it already because they show the finalist on the main page lol. Anyways, I think people should stay away from the internet sites if they don't want to be "accidentally" informed.

jmsx521
01-26-2008, 05:54 PM
Better yet, stay off the Internet altogether. I watched part of the Djokovic/Federer match up til where Fed was leading in the first set 5-2 and planned to watch the rest when I got home.

I was reading something off the NY Times website, not even related to sports, and in the upper corner I see a tiny image of Fed. I closed the web browser quickly, but not before my brain had processed part of the images caption: "Djokovic Ends.. and then filled in the blanks with ...Federer's Reign/Run/String at the Australian Open."Oh, I've had so many similar moments. How about this one: When I watch the taped match on ESPN2 on the TV monitors attached to the treadmills at the gym, I have to pay attention not to look at the other monitors (that others are watching) because sometimes I can tell (with my peripheral vision) Sports Center or the News is showing the results of the tennis matches.

jmsx521
01-26-2008, 05:58 PM
However, I think my main comment is not that TW should do better job at filtering out the threads that give-away the results, but giving it up altogether, because this separating of the two topics is just not working, and it will never work. Just get rid off the Results topic and make one ATP Tour topic, and another WTA Tour topic: That's it.

tennis_nerd22
01-26-2008, 06:01 PM
IF YOU DO NOT WANT TO KNOW THE RESULT OF AN IMPORTANT MATCH, WHY DO YOU COME TO THE FORUMS IN THE FIRST PLACE? ESPECIALLY THE PRO GENERAL DISCUSSION SECTION??

i dont want to be an a**hole, but seriously people come on. i mean i agree with what the OP is saying, but honestly if you dont want to know the result of a big match then dont come on the forums, especially the pro section.

its so much of a problem that its almost certain that somewhere in the WRONG section there will be a spoiler (like the OP mentioned). So just stay away!

SFrazeur
01-26-2008, 06:16 PM
People should be able to visit certain sections of the forums without having a match spoiled. There is a match results forum for a reason. I will grant that there is unintentional spoiling. People get real exited by watching a player win and they want to know what X player's gear is, so they post that. It's a spoiler, but unintentional.

However, overall, why are people protecting the ones that break the rules? They are the ones who should be admonished. I am tired of the, for lack of a better term, "blame the victim" mentality. They didn't break the rules, so why should they be punished for it? Why should they be admonished? These are not rhetorical questions, I would like an answer. Why are the "victims" the ones being admonished for voicing there discontent when others are breaking the rules? Again, an answer please.

-SF

tennis_nerd22
01-26-2008, 06:55 PM
However, overall, why are people protecting the ones that break the rules? They are the ones who should be admonished. I am tired of the, for lack of a better term, "blame the victim" mentality. They didn't break the rules, so why should they be punished for it? Why should they be admonished? These are not rhetorical questions, I would like an answer. Why are the "victims" the ones being admonished for voicing there discontent when others are breaking the rules? Again, an answer please.

look man what you're saying is true. but there are times in life when you have to give in and accept that you will be defeated. have some common sense, stay away from the biggest online tennis forum (especially the pro section) if you want to avoid spoilers.

you can have all the mods filtering, it doesnt matter, there will be countless spoilers. if you cant fix the problem, then avoid it. how to you avoid it? dont log on to the forums

SFrazeur
01-26-2008, 07:05 PM
look man what you're saying is true. but there are times in life when you have to give in and accept that you will be defeated. have some common sense, stay away from the biggest online tennis forum (especially the pro section) if you want to avoid spoilers.

you can have all the mods filtering, it doesnt matter, there will be countless spoilers. if you cant fix the problem, then avoid it. how to you avoid it? dont log on to the forums

While I do conseed that there is going to be some risk, but the risk should not be that high. As for giving in, if you wish to allow other's to walk over you then that is fine. But do not admonish people for not breaking the rules, that is ridiculous.

-SF

Deuce
01-26-2008, 09:35 PM
People should be able to visit certain sections of the forums without having a match spoiled. There is a match results forum for a reason. I will grant that there is unintentional spoiling. People get real exited by watching a player win and they want to know what X player's gear is, so they post that. It's a spoiler, but unintentional.

-SF
^ He's right.
Although I don't see it as a "breaking the rules" thing - I see it as a blatant disrespect for others.

One should not have to avoid an entire section on the account of selfish people. If one wants to discuss something that has no relation whatsoever to a recently played match, one should have the right to do that without a recent and unwanted score being thrown in his/her face.

This message board is not set up as a news agency. There are a million and a half media outlets where one can get the results - and I'm positive that everyone who posts here knows where they can find the results that they want.
Therefore, there is no reason to announce the results here.
Other than selfishness, of course - some people feel more important if THEY are the source of the score or result.

^ He's wrong.
Accepting something that is wrong is encouraging it to continue and to grow.
Unacceptable things should not be accepted.

The moderators' time would be much better spent taking match results out of the Pro Player forum than patrolling the entire board looking to delete posts because one poster said that he/she doesn't like another poster.

Fee
01-26-2008, 10:51 PM
I agree with Deuce completely. There has been a serious lack of moderation in the top two sections since the Nadal-Tsonga match. There are countless duplicate threads, and spoiler threads/titles, and all kinds of lunacy in the last few days. It makes me wonder if all of you just threw up your hands and decided to let it run its course until Monday or something.