01-26-2008, 10:19 AM
pobre gringuito el chino rios lo saco de paseo :twisted:

click aca para descargar

http://rapidshare.com/files/86821163/Rios_Courier_Singapour_1998.wmv.html

click aca para ver mientras descarga

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=raHI5U-UFsc

morten
01-26-2008, 11:04 AM
Amazing player, i wish Rios and Sampras could play one day soon!

Shaolin
01-26-2008, 12:08 PM
Rios was great. Thanks for posting that video.

ohlori
01-26-2008, 01:57 PM
Rios: ranked 3
Courier: ranked 117

NLBwell
01-26-2008, 08:54 PM
Rios was a great player when he felt like being a great player.

vive le beau jeu !
01-27-2008, 08:11 AM
thx for the link... pleasant destruction of the lumberjack by rios ! :rolleyes:

Nastase
01-27-2008, 03:27 PM
Great tennis. To hear Courier's smug *ss talk today you'd think he never got his *ss handed to him like this. Wonder if Rios felt well enough the next day to win the title.

Phil
01-27-2008, 07:52 PM
Great tennis. To hear Courier's smug *ss talk today you'd think he never got his *ss handed to him like this. Wonder if Rios felt well enough the next day to win the title.
Grand Slam Titles won by player:

Courier: 4
Rios: 0

ericsson
01-27-2008, 11:10 PM
Rios has one of the smoothest hands i've ever saw, what a touch that guy has, although known as a grounder he could volley very well.

peluzon
01-28-2008, 08:16 AM
its not about numbers

check this video phill

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1jhzq_gillete-de-gala-a-clavet_sport

regards

couch
01-28-2008, 01:27 PM
What's worse? Having amazing talent and not realizing your true potential? Or having maybe less talent and working your butt off and realizing every bit of your potential?

I think I'd take the second option any day of the week.

I'd be sad to look back (if I were Rios) and know that I maybe could have been one of the best to play the game if I would have made the commitment.

Woulda, coulda, shoulda = Marcelo Rios

drakulie
01-28-2008, 03:36 PM
Rios was a "never been".

Bye, bye.

Pleepers
01-28-2008, 04:43 PM

****Exactly!****

JamaicanYoute
01-28-2008, 06:04 PM
What's worse? Having amazing talent and not realizing your true potential? Or having maybe less talent and working your butt off and realizing every bit of your potential?

I'd be sad to look back (if I were Rios) and know that I maybe could have been one of the best to play the game if I would have made the commitment.

Well said. Despite his God given talent he was really nothing in the world of Tennis. He will not be remember 20 years from now, and if he is it'll be the same story: "he couldve been".

How are you going to make a comparison between the 2 based on one match. That's a little ridiculous. Even the best have their *** handed to them sometimes. Sampras or Fed have never gotten a pretty firm whooping by someone they shouldn't have?!?

And to say if he felt like playing the next day really shows just how a pathetic person, not just athlete, Rios was. An embarrassment really.

_mats_
01-28-2008, 06:38 PM

qfa

10chars

peluzon
01-29-2008, 03:52 AM

Federer will be sad to look back and know that he had just one ugly fat girlfriend

Rios will be happy to look back and know that he had 550 amazing ex-girlfriends

Ser sudamericano es distinto amigo mio ,, no todo en la vida es ser el mejor y tener los mejores numeros.

JamaicanYoute
01-29-2008, 05:57 AM
Federer will be sad to look back and know that he had just one ugly fat girlfriend

Ser sudamericano es distinto amigo mio ,, no todo en la vida es ser el mejor y tener los mejores numeros.

How is this even relevant to the topic? This is a ******** reply. Girls come and go all the time, being able to play (well) in the ATP does not. If this is his reason, he's even MORE of an idiot than I gave him credit for.

Andres
01-29-2008, 07:34 AM

Entonces, todo en la vida, segun tu criterio... sería 'PONERLA' y nada mas?

diegaa
01-29-2008, 08:07 AM

uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuh, duro ahi.

_mats_
01-29-2008, 08:31 AM

Hmm that explains a lot, maybe thats part of the reason things are they way they are in South America.. gotta love your reasoning Peluzon, my congratulations to you !

peluzon
01-29-2008, 09:19 AM
ajajajaj hey peace ;)

Its just that everybody allways think in numbers , numbers and numbers

And Rios is not number , his tennis was different , and his lifestyle has been different in compare with the good guys , alcohol , girls , night , etc etc etc.

Im sure that it is not the best example for kids ,,,,

But , It is what it is ,, just enjoy it

please chech this point to finish the first set

http://rapidshare.com/files/17085691/Set_1_Rios_Agassi_2002.wmv.html

In youtube its in the last part of the video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9UlWD1z4MjU

peluzon
01-29-2008, 09:22 AM
Hmm that explains a lot, maybe thats part of the reason things are they way they are in South America.. gotta love your reasoning Peluzon, my congratulations to you !

anyway i lived in USA for 2 years , and now im living in Chile , and lifestyle here is better than there.

So i dont care what do you think about southamerica ,,, gringuito hijo de George :mad:

pmata814
01-29-2008, 10:27 AM
ajajajaj hey peace ;)

Its just that everybody allways think in numbers , numbers and numbers....
http://rapidshare.com/files/17085691/Set_1_Rios_Agassi_2002.wmv.html

[/url]

They're not just numbers "peluzon" they are ACCOMPLISHMENTS.

Tu forma de penzar solo dara un resultado: 'mediocre'
(you're way of thinking only produces one result: 'mediocre')

Shaolin
01-29-2008, 10:30 AM
I agree with peluzon. Rios was a genius and his game was special. His attitude sucked, he didnt work that hard and probably has numerous other problems, but his game was awesome. If you cant appreciate Rios' game from the late 90's then I feel sorry for you.

peluzon
01-29-2008, 10:33 AM
todos contra peluzon porque subio un video de Rios masacrando a Courier.

peluzon
01-29-2008, 10:35 AM
I agree with peluzon. Rios was a genius and his game was special. His attitude sucked, he didnt work that hard and probably has numerous other problems, but his game was awesome. If you cant appreciate Rios' game from the late 90's then I feel sorry for you.

thank you man ,, you are the man

Rios was a genius and his attitude sucked ,,, 100 % agree

CEvertFan
01-29-2008, 10:46 AM
One can be a party boy for only so long before one gets too old or the money runs out. Those girls that are now hanging all over him will vanish once he gets old and ugly and/or has no more money. Personally I'd be much more satisfied if I had fulfilled my full potential on the tennis court. The girls would have been there regardless.

Rios had amazing talent but he totally squandered it and he'll go down in history as a player who never fulfilled his potential. With age usually comes wisdom and Rios will look back on his life and realize that he made very bad choices.

pabletion
01-29-2008, 10:52 AM

Big fan of Rios, always loved how easily and cleanly he struck the ball... but gotta agree with you 100% here.... It would've been somenthin' to see Rios really try in a regular basis out there, see how far he would've made it... then again, probably he never cared. Kinda sad for me to see him now winning senior events

pabletion
01-29-2008, 10:54 AM
anyway i lived in USA for 2 years , and now im living in Chile , and lifestyle here is better than there.

So i dont care what do you think about southamerica ,,, gringuito hijo de George :mad:

JAJAJAJAJ, ES TU HIJO ESE PELUZON!!!!

peluzon
01-29-2008, 11:10 AM
Big fan of Rios, always loved how easily and cleanly he struck the ball... but gotta agree with you 100% here.... It would've been somenthin' to see Rios really try in a regular basis out there, see how far he would've made it... then again, probably he never cared. Kinda sad for me to see him now winning senior events

yes but dont forget that Rios had a big injury in his Back , and that was the reason for retirement.

for me was sad also see him winning senior events

but anyway check this point in sennior and how he kiss his wrist :shock::)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKkWUCETwwM

drakulie
01-29-2008, 01:17 PM

Actually he won't. Because the **ONE** he really loved dumped him for someone else. And, she wasn't all that.

BTW, compared to Courier>>> Rios sucked at tennis.

Courier= 4 slams on Rios' "best surface".

Rios= Zero slams on his own best surface.

Pretty pathetic.

Sup2Dresq
01-29-2008, 01:25 PM
yes but dont forget that Rios had a big injury in his Back , and that was the reason for retirement.

for me was sad also see him winning senior events

but anyway check this point in sennior and how he kiss his wrist :shock::)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKkWUCETwwM

Did that go over?

What kind of shirt is he wearing. Kind of neat.

Rios was a talent, especially given his height and stature. He just seemed to produce such great angles!

Phil
01-30-2008, 06:15 AM
its not about numbers

check this video phill

regards
Yeah, Rios made some amazing shots and had tremendous talent. Honestly, I enjoyed watching him more than I did watching Courier. But in the end, when players are judged on career accomplishments, its the MAJORS that count. And all Rios has to show for his career are pretty shots on YouTube, and no majors.

CEvertFan
01-30-2008, 02:00 PM
Courier has four Slam titles to zero for Rios as well as many more weeks at #1 (58 weeks for Courier to 6 weeks for Rios) and those three matches that Rios won were from '96-'98 when Courier was widely regarded to be way past his prime. Your argument isn't valid. Courier had the superior career by far. There's no denying that Rios was a very talented player but he didn't do anything of note with said talent.

A.Davidson
01-30-2008, 02:14 PM

And THAT'S the bottom line.

Shaolin
01-30-2008, 02:23 PM
There's no denying that Rios was a very talented player but he didn't do anything of note with said talent.

Except REACH #1 IN THE WORLD, not to mention win MANY TMS titles, and also do a LOT for tennis in South America among other things.

What the (CENSORED BY TW MODS) is up with people trying to tell others who to like and not like??

Look at peluzon's FIRST POST. He makes no huge claims about Rios. Basically just says "enjoy the tennis because hes special". Thats what he was. Rios is a tennis player's tennis player. Its not about number of slams, its about HOW he played.

Theres an article posted that was posted with pro's opinions on Rios. He was mentioned as a favorite player of Federer, Safin and others that actually play tennis at a pro level instead of bashing people on a message board.

I guess because Gaudio has a slam then hes a better player than Rios too, huh? Get a life people. Enjoy tennis. Stop using slam totals to figure out who to like and not to like. Stop telling other people who to like and not like.

Shaolin
01-30-2008, 02:24 PM
And THAT'S the bottom line.

For small minded people.

drakulie
01-30-2008, 02:32 PM
Except REACH #1 IN THE WORLD, not to mention win MANY TMS titles, and also do a LOT for tennis in South America among other things.

Yeah, he has the Honor of being the only player to reach number 1 and not win a slam.

Look at peluzon's FIRST POST. He makes no huge claims about Rios.

Yeah he does. In addition, belittles Courier by calling him a "poor little gringo being destroyed by Rios". You don't comprehend spanish do you?

Its not about number of slams, its about HOW he played.

Here, you are correct. It is about how he played>>> and in his case, he didn't play well enough to win a slam. No different than thousands of other players who never won a slam.

I guess because Gaudio has a slam then hes a better player than Rios too, huh?

Yes, he is. To date, he has had a better career than Rios.

Shaolin
01-30-2008, 03:32 PM
Whatever, Dracula. If you cant appreciate Rios' game Im not going to try and convince you, or anyone else for that matter. I just feel bad for you. Its like saying you appreciate art and going to gallery, looking at whatever has the biggest price tag on it, and saying thats the best one. Youre missing the point.

Im out, thanks for listening. Sorry about my Spanish comprehension.

Peace peluzon.

peluzon
01-30-2008, 04:01 PM
yeah man ,, take it easy ,, "pobre gringuito" was ironic ,, you can not compare Chilean tennis history with USA tennis history ,, Southamerica only have had 2 numbers 1 in all the history "Guga and Rios" ,, and Rios was the first #1 in all Latinoamerican history ,, after him came Coria , Gaudio , Gonzalez, Massu , ( a lot of good player that had the Rios inspiration)

but you people are so bitter and agressive ,, if you can not enjoy Rios is your problem

anyway be ready because I have a lot of Rios magic to share ,, and I allways upload all my videos in different tennis forum ,, and Talk Tennis will be one of them

Regards and good bye for this post :-?

drakulie
01-30-2008, 04:16 PM
but you people are so bitter and agressive ,, if you can not enjoy Rios is your problem

How could we enjoy someone who wasn't around>>> when he was around? get it? even when he was at the top, he was a choker that amounted to nothing in terms of tennis greatness. Courier is a Hall of Famer, Rios is a Hall of Shamer.

peluzon
01-30-2008, 04:18 PM
Yes, he is. To date, he has had a better career than Rios.

jajajajajajajjajajajajajaj poor guy ,, you are a ********,, Gaudio won RG because Coria had (i dont know the word) but had issues in his legs,, and his best rank was #5

click in the picture for highligts Rios VS Gaudio

http://img295.imageshack.us/img295/2654/riosgaudionx5.jpg (http://lix.in/46058e)

drakulie
01-30-2008, 04:22 PM
^^^ Gaudio = 1 slam

Rios = Zero.

peluzon
01-30-2008, 04:26 PM
he was a choker that amounted to nothing in terms of tennis greatness

I saved this great way of thinking to present my next Rios video

"nothing in terms of tennis greatness":rolleyes:

peluzon
01-30-2008, 04:31 PM
http://img183.imageshack.us/img183/8803/riosgaudiowj0.jpg

http://img183.imageshack.us/img183/6932/rioscourierpe8.jpg

miniRafa386
01-30-2008, 04:37 PM
No me gusta Rios mucho, pero admire su juego mucho. Courier fue un mejor jugador, aunque.

Te gusta mi espanol?

drakulie
01-30-2008, 04:37 PM
^^^^ gaudio/courier = 5 slams.

Rios= zero.

pabletion
01-30-2008, 07:06 PM
How old do ya have to b to play senior events? 30? I thought Rios was a bit older, but he's only 32!!!!! I thought senior tourers started at about 35

ericsson
01-30-2008, 11:44 PM
Peluzon, lighten up a little, i understand you but you cant convince all the Americans here man. I know your intensions are good and i really enjoy your clips but dont get in a fight with them, if you wanne defend Marcelo you should do it in an other way IMO, Anyway apart from that i enjoyed watching Rios a lot more then Courier eventhough he didnt win mayors, Courier was a warrior with kinda one way tennis, Rios had more shots, more feel, more inspiration, sadly enough more mood swings too ;-) he is the magician, keep them coming man.

Hasta la vista!

CEvertFan
01-31-2008, 12:45 AM
Let's clear this up once and for all shall we? We're only defending Courier because of the OP's thread title and his original post. I know it's in Spanish but if you didn't understand what it means then you should have someone translate it for you. This thread wasn't created solely to praise Rios, his game and his career achievements, the OP decided to compare Rios and Courier and to say that Rios was better and that Courier was nothing so if the OP is now saying that this is simply a Rios appreciation thread then he's lying. No one who has defended Courier would be doing so in a Rios thread if the OP hadn't proceeded to make disparaging comments of his own about Courier in the first place.

As for the numbers game and career achievements, the Slams are considered to be the pinnacle of achievement in tennis and sadly Rios didn't do too well in that department. Safin is also very talented and also a major head case like Rios but no one would ever say Marat is one of the all time greats. Same principle applies to Rios but even more so than Safin because Rios didn't win even one Slam title.

kairosntx
01-31-2008, 01:21 AM
well said CEF.

Andres
01-31-2008, 01:50 AM
^^^ Gaudio = 1 slam

Rios = Zero.
Hey, come on, C.P. At least, give the poor guy a break!
Rios won the Master Series of Monte Carlo, Indian Wells, Biscayne, MS Rome and Hamburg, and reached the final of Rome, Australian Open, and Monte Carlo

5 MS titles, two MS finals and one GS final certainly eclipse one lone GS. Points wise, he won 2500 pts off his MS titles, 700 pts off his MS runner ups, and 700 off his AO final.

Gaudio never reached ANY MS final.

But yeah, Courier's career eclipses Rios' by A MILE!

ohlori
01-31-2008, 02:58 AM
http://img183.imageshack.us/img183/8803/riosgaudiowj0.jpg

http://img183.imageshack.us/img183/6932/rioscourierpe8.jpg

http://www.uploadgeek.com/uploads456/0/atptennis002.jpg (http://www.uploadgeek.com)

Michael Chang = GOAT

Phil
02-01-2008, 09:03 AM
http://www.uploadgeek.com/uploads456/0/atptennis002.jpg (http://www.uploadgeek.com)

Michael Chang = GOAT
Go look up Rios vs. Yvgeny Kafelnikov. Domination, but not of the kind that you would like to see...

tfm1973
02-01-2008, 09:11 AM
rios was also 1-6 lifetime versus chang. they are both listed at 5 foot 9 and weighing 160 pounds.

a major shame he didn't do more -- but count me as a rios fan. i absolutely LOVED watching him play. definitely had a style and a boatload of talent. i even loved his attitude with the press and his general bastidge-ness. but again -- too bad he couldn't get his stuff together and win some majors.

drakulie
02-01-2008, 02:19 PM
Go look up Rios vs. Yvgeny Kafelnikov. Domination, but not of the kind that you would like to see...

yeah, Todd Martin was also 2-0 against him. Becker 3-2, Muster, 3-1, etc. etc. etc.

Oh yeah, and Peter Korda was 1-0 against him in Grand Slam Finals. :)

Richie Rich
02-01-2008, 02:51 PM
don't forget that rios was no 1 in the world. gaudio can't say that.

emmanuel
02-01-2008, 03:27 PM
Las comparaciones son siempre odiosas, y entrar en ellas es entrar en la espiral del nunca acabar.
Rios fue un talento como muy pocos. En lo personal era para mi todo un espectáculo verle, esa picardia, ese ingenio en la cancha no se la he visto ni al gran Federer.

blackfrido
02-01-2008, 03:58 PM
http://www.atptennis.com/3/en/players/headtohead/?player1=Rios%2C+Marcelo&player2=zabaleta

http://www.atptennis.com/3/en/players/headtohead/?player1=Rios%2C+Marcelo&player2=kafelnikov

http://www.atptennis.com/3/en/players/headtohead/?player1=Rios%2C+Marcelo&player2=sampras

http://www.atptennis.com/3/en/players/headtohead/default.asp?playernum1=R286&playernum2=C274

http://www.atptennis.com/3/en/players/headtohead/default.asp?playernum1=R286&playernum2=H432

JCo872
02-01-2008, 04:35 PM
its not about numbers

check this video phill

regards

Holy $%??!! That drop shot was insane!!

Mikael
02-04-2008, 02:27 PM
http://www.atptennis.com/3/en/players/headtohead/default.asp?playernum1=E113&playernum2=R286

Here's another guy with a solid record against Rios. Enqvist loved playing Rios because he could outpower him, no matter how much magic Rios had in his wings. Great rallies between those two, but it was like watching a heavyweight against a lightweight. Rios was more successful against Agassi because Andre wasn't a big man and it was easier for Rios to work his magic.

rallyjunkie
02-05-2008, 05:21 PM
Rios was a beautiful player. Elegant. He won a lot of matches, became #1, but he hated the travel, loneliness, dealing with media, dealing with fans, then injuries plagued him. Safin said Rios "should have won 10 slams." Safin said this last year at the US Open.

Rios was a beautiful player one of the most aesthetic we ever saw. He was just a little bit small and introverted to be a champion of the people.

drakulie
02-05-2008, 05:23 PM
^^^^ stop making excuses for Rios.

Perhaps he simply wasn't good enough to win slams. Anyone ever consider that????

rallyjunkie
02-05-2008, 05:28 PM
Rios toyed with Agassi twice in Miami ) that's how good he could be when the body was willing.

couch
02-05-2008, 05:31 PM
Rios toyed with Agassi twice in Miami ) that's how good he could be when the body was willing.

Again, another coulda, woulda, shoulda. Not sure where Rios was when Agassi was winning all his majors. ;) I bet his body was willing a lot more than he would admit. It was his head that was not willing most of the time.

A.J. Sim
02-05-2008, 05:59 PM
Agreed; the fact is that as talented as Rios was; he never won a grandslam title. Rios had all the shots and was fun to watch. However, he will never, ever be considered one of the all time greats.

Peluzon, I watched your youtube clip of Rios and Chang; Rios was running Chang all around the court and could clearly overpower him. I hope you still remember that Chang won the match, which is the only thing that mattered.

I would take a player who didn't have as much talent and worked his/her butt off like Courier over someone who didn't maximize their potential anyday. Courier and Chang had a lot less talent than Rios but they won a combined five more grandslams than Rios.

The reason Safin likes Rios so much is that Safin's career is painfully similar to that of Rios. I love watching Safin play, and he is very talented, but he should have more than 2 grandslams.

msc886
02-05-2008, 10:39 PM
Rios was a beautiful player. Elegant. He won a lot of matches, became #1, but he hated the travel, loneliness, dealing with media, dealing with fans, then injuries plagued him. Safin said Rios "should have won 10 slams." Safin said this last year at the US Open.

Rios was a beautiful player one of the most aesthetic we ever saw. He was just a little bit small and introverted to be a champion of the people.

relying on natural skill alone will not get 10 slams. 1 or 2 slams sound more realistic

blackfrido
02-06-2008, 10:02 AM
How could we enjoy someone who wasn't around>>> when he was around? get it? even when he was at the top, he was a choker that amounted to nothing in terms of tennis greatness. Courier is a Hall of Famer, Rios is a Hall of Shamer.

don't waste your time Drak answering to this kid. Rios is nodody in tennis :)

hoodjem
02-06-2008, 11:51 AM
His ATP photo makes him look like Mephisto.

string70
02-10-2008, 06:38 PM
I watched Rios practicing at Cincinnati in the mid 90's and he could not volley on this day, he dumped maybe 20 in a row and walked off the court.

Tshooter
02-10-2008, 08:56 PM
Rios was a complete waste of a talent. Even more so than Safin.
Courier was a very accomplished player. Probably used his talent to it's max potential.

Kid Carlos
02-12-2008, 11:34 AM
interesting article on Rios at www.theatpblog.com Is talent Boring?

peluzon
02-12-2008, 02:05 PM
nice article ,, thanks. That pictures eating the ball is the picture that I use for my videos

Please check "Fantasias 2" it has a lot of work and is really amazing, I strongly recommend you download it from rapidshare instead youtube

peluzon
02-12-2008, 03:35 PM
^^^^ stop making excuses for Rios.

Perhaps he simply wasn't good enough to win slams. Anyone ever consider that????

Your mind is so tiny man,,,

Sampras wasn't good enough to win clay tournaments. And he is the recordman in Grand Slam

couch
02-12-2008, 06:15 PM

Sampras wasn't good enough to win clay tournaments. And he is the recordman in Grand Slam

Might want to check your statement. Although clay wasn't his best surface it looks like he did have some good results on the stuff.

From Wikipedia:
Sampras's only real weakness was on clay courts (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clay_court), where the slow surface tempered his natural attacking serve-and-volley game. His best performance at the French Open (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_Open) came in 1996, when he lost a semifinal match to the eventual winner, Yevgeny Kafelnikov (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yevgeny_Kafelnikov). Despite his limited success at Roland Garros, Sampras did win some significant matches on clay. He won the prestigious Italian Open (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rome_Masters) in 1994, defeating Boris Becker (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boris_Becker) in the final, and two singles matches in the 1995 Davis Cup final against Russians Andrei Chesnokov (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrei_Chesnokov) and Kafelnikov in Moscow. Sampras also won a 1998 clay court tournament in Atlanta, defeating Jason Stoltenberg (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jason_Stoltenberg) in the final.

vive le beau jeu !
02-13-2008, 12:08 AM
Might want to check your statement. Although clay wasn't his best surface it looks like he did have some good results on the stuff.

From Wikipedia:
Sampras's only real weakness was on clay courts (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clay_court), where the slow surface tempered his natural attacking serve-and-volley game. His best performance at the French Open (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_Open) came in 1996, when he lost a semifinal match to the eventual winner, Yevgeny Kafelnikov (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yevgeny_Kafelnikov). Despite his limited success at Roland Garros, Sampras did win some significant matches on clay. He won the prestigious Italian Open (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rome_Masters) in 1994, defeating Boris Becker (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boris_Becker) in the final, and two singles matches in the 1995 Davis Cup final against Russians Andrei Chesnokov (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrei_Chesnokov) and Kafelnikov in Moscow. Sampras also won a 1998 clay court tournament in Atlanta, defeating Jason Stoltenberg (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jason_Stoltenberg) in the final.
and he also won kitzbuhel on clay in 1992. ;)

peluzon
02-13-2008, 03:23 AM
i thought that Sampras never won anything on clay ,,,, thanks for the explanation.

Sampras come to Chile in may to play an exhibition with Rios ,,, I will upload the highlights for sure

surrealfx
02-18-2008, 10:31 PM
El tenis de Rios? Que mierda. Los habilidades no importan si no puede ganar. Y Rios no puede ganar cada dia. Tonto.

peluzon
02-19-2008, 03:35 AM
El tenis de Rios? Que mierda. Los habilidades no importan si no puede ganar. Y Rios no puede ganar cada dia. Tonto.

y vo pastel de donde saliste ?????

drakulie
02-19-2008, 12:28 PM

Muahahaha! My mind is "tiny"??? Looking at your first post in this thread, and the following post, the only person here who has a "tiny" mind is you. In fact, I'm starting to think you are Rios.

same fragile mind and temperament as Rios.

Yes, Sampras never won the French, but he made it further in that tournament than Rios did, and I will remind you, Rios' best surface was suppose to be clay.

Additionally, Sampras won a a few clay titles, and led the US davis cup team to a victory on slow red clay.

Lastly, sampras won 14 grand slams. Rios won ZERO.

Bye, Bye Rios.

drakulie
02-19-2008, 12:30 PM

Es verdad que Rios es un cagado.

big ted
02-19-2008, 06:07 PM
i agree with some of the others.. great players win gs tournaments and rios didnt win any. rios was very fun to watch, but then again so is my dad and hes probly a 3.0

ericsson
02-20-2008, 12:11 AM
i agree with some of the others.. great players win gs tournaments and rios didnt win any. rios was very fun to watch, but then again so is my dad and hes probly a 3.0

Don't agree here, ok he didnt win a mayor, but can your dad do a backflip, a smash when you nearly sit on the ground, play some drops when the ball litterly turns back, if he can do that then you should post a youtube video ASAP

Bottom line is: Rios had a mental problem, he couldnt focus enough, not enough motivation, so what, who are we to judge...but he damn sure could play tennis and everyone who knows tennis and like to see some brilliant points will agree he was something special.

peluzon
02-20-2008, 03:21 AM
Rios' best surface was suppose to be clay

Rios best surface was Hard Court

drakulie
02-20-2008, 12:25 PM
Rios best surface was Hard Court

Which would explain why he has more clay court titles (9) than hardcourt (7). :roll:

You don't much about this Rios guy do you? And I thought you were a fan of him.

Shaolin
02-20-2008, 01:05 PM
Which would explain why he has more clay court titles (9) than hardcourt (7). :roll:

You don't much about this Rios guy do you? And I thought you were a fan of him.

Counting indoor its 9-9 hardcourt to claycourt. He could play on anything but grass. Not sure what your problem is with Rios but its kind of annoying this vendetta you have against him. He played incredible tennis. Accept it and move on with your life.

The_Spartan
02-20-2008, 01:11 PM
Marcelo Rios is one of the, if not THE, most overrated/hyped players of the sport, hell, in all sports.

He made it to the finals of the Aussie; once, and never finished past the QF's of another.

The guy playing on the Senior Tour at age 30 is comical.

-

Talented ? Of course, but so are the other guys in the top 100.

drakulie
02-20-2008, 01:17 PM
Counting indoor its 9-9 hardcourt to claycourt.

Wrong, 2 of those wins were on carpet> not hardcourts.

Not sure what your problem is with Rios but its kind of annoying this vendetta you have against him.

My problem is the manner in which peluzon put down Courier (legend and hall of famer), and initially implied Rios was a better player. Additonally, throughout the course of this thread and others has compared Rios to legends of the game.

Before you throw blind accusations in the dark, I suggest you read the entire thread.

He played incredible tennis.

yeah, he played one heck of a AO Open finals against Korda. :roll:

drakulie
02-20-2008, 01:32 PM
Spartan I agree with both of your posts. Rios is way overyhped. There are so many other players with better game than him, and who actually had better careers than him.

peluzon
02-21-2008, 05:11 AM

because "its not about numbers" . I saw better Rios matches in Hard Court ,,, and he didnt play serve and volley, he is just 5'9''. I remember a match versus Rusedski http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1y--ApTC9ss ,,, Rios did some amazings Lobs... But is just my appreciation ,, he play well in clay also

Marcelo Rios is one of the, if not THE, most overrated/hyped players of the sport, hell, in all sports.

not agree ,,, i think that if I would not upload to much points in a lot of tennis forum about Rios ,, nobody were speaking about Rios.

The guy playing on the Senior Tour at age 30 is comical

agree ,, comical and sad

Talented ? Of course, but so are the other guys in the top 100.

that was stupid ,,, Robredo , Massu , etc etc etc ,,, could play tennis for 5 lifes and never will play like Rios

CEvertFan
02-21-2008, 08:00 AM
It doesn't mean much to be a very talented player if one doesn't do anything worthy with that talent. Courier might not have been as naturally talented as Rios but he used ALL of his talent to it's full potential and had a way better career as a result. Rios will go down in the history of tennis as one of those players who never accomplished what he should have, whereas Courier will go down as a player who won 4 majors (and reached the finals of the other two majors) and held the #1 ranking for 58 weeks.

Whose career would you rather have? I know who I would pick hands down...

Thud and blunder
02-21-2008, 08:30 AM
Appreciation of Rios's game is about aesthetics, not achievement. Clearly, he underperformed, but that doesn't mean one can't enjoy the beauty of his game when he decided to pull his finger out. I'd put Mecir in the same category.

The_Spartan
02-21-2008, 08:43 AM
It doesn't mean much to be a very talented player if one doesn't do anything worthy with that talent. Courier might not have been as naturally talented as Rios but he used ALL of his talent to it's full potential and had a way better career as a result. Rios will go down in the history of tennis as one of those players who never accomplished what he should have, whereas Courier will go down as a player who won 4 majors (and reached the finals of the other two majors) and held the #1 ranking for 58 weeks.

Whose career would you rather have? I know who I would pick hands down...

Ageed.

Tennis is about achievement; Slams. Period.

Other sports have great players that never won rings (NBA's Barkley, Ewing, MLB's Tony Gwynn, NFL's Marino or Sander's ..........) but tennis is unique in that you're either a great player or not. It's mano e mano, or womano e womano = )

Slams. Even one can get you into the HoF because winning a slam is such a major (pun) accomplishment.

Where would Capriati's career stand if not for the 3 Major titles ? Exactly like that of a Rios; great talent, so much potential, great game, but never lived up to it. But she won 3 Slams; her legacy is cemented.

Think of the thousands of tennis players on the tour that never win the big one. Think of Yana Novotná and where she'd be on the pedestal if not for finally winning Wimby.

Rios is a huge underachiever. Was his game pretty ? yes. Was he gifted ? yes. Is it something to remember ? I don't think so. More of a choke than anything.

Aside from the Aussie final, he went to 5 QF's in slams over 6 years. The other showings ?

The breakdown (In 9 years of play):

Australian Open - 1r, QF, F, 1r, QF
French Open -2r, 2r, 4r, 4r, QF, QF, 1r, 2r, 1r
Wimbledon - 1r, 4r, 1r
US Open 2r, 1r, 2r, QF, 3r, 4r, 3r, 3r, 3r

That's nothing to write home about.

Appreciation of Rios's game is about aesthetics, not achievement. Clearly, he underperformed, but that doesn't mean one can't enjoy the beauty of his game when he decided to pull his finger out. I'd put Mecir in the same category.

I can appreciate his talent and game, just not his career.

drakulie
02-21-2008, 10:40 AM
because "its not about numbers" . I saw better Rios matches in Hard Court ,,, and he didnt play serve and volley, he is just 5'9''. I remember a match versus Rusedski http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1y--ApTC9ss ,,, Rios did some amazings Lobs... But is just my appreciation ,, he play well in clay also

Whatever. You are wrong. And doing amazing lobs in one match does not make him a better hard court player. His numbers show he was a better clay courter than hardcourt player. By the way, using foul language and being abusive/inflammatory towards another board member is not permitted on this site.

peluzon
02-21-2008, 10:47 AM
Tennis is about achievement; Slams. Period.

Who do you think you are to define what tennis is about ???????

music is about achievemntes also ??

Rios was an artist 8-)8-)

Check this song http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V44vlLbbr9A

100 % agree ,, but some people just want to see "goals, targets, achievement, succes, money, numbers , etc etc etc" ,,

they looks like master in bussines administrators

Shaolin
02-21-2008, 11:10 AM
Theres no use fighting in this thread anymore.

There are 3 types of tennis fans:

1. Those that can only appreciate someone for winning something and working hard even if their shots are butt ugly.

2. Those that can appreciate a player for their artistry and shotmaking and do not need that player to be a grand slam champion to appreciate their tennis.

3. Those that can appreciate BOTH types of players. Those who can appreciate Federer's tennis even if he breezes through a major without dropping a set, or a workmanlike player grinding through each match by the skin of this teeth.

Its obvious people like Drakulie and Spartan are the small minded types that can only appreciate a player for having a slam championship and thats the only thing that will tell them whether a player is good or not. Thats sad, really. Rios didnt live up to practically ANY of his potential, and he STILL got to #1 in the world and won 18 titles, including many TMS titles. Anyway stop hating on Rios and find something better to do with your time.

CEvertFan
02-21-2008, 11:29 AM
Who do you think you are to define what tennis is about ???????

music is about achievemntes also ??

Rios was an artist 8-)8-)

Check this song http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V44vlLbbr9A

100 % agree ,, but some people just want to see "goals, targets, achievement, succes, money, numbers , etc etc etc" ,,

they looks like master in bussines administrators

There's no denying that Rios was a gifted player with loads of talent and when he was on he was a joy to watch BUT you are the person who started this thread and proceeded to say that he was a better player than Courier which I think has been proven false by myself and Drakulie and a few others on here. If you only wanted to start a Rios appreciation thread in order to discuss his talent and express your adoration of him then you simply should have done so instead of disparaging Courier in the process.

We have a saying here in the USA: Open mouth, insert foot. I think it fits.

drakulie
02-21-2008, 12:02 PM

**YOU** are the one who put down Courier when you started this thread, and used a very poor choice of words while doing so.

**YOU** are also the one who stated rios had "550"?? ex girlfriends or whatever. So you should be the last one to talk about numbers.

peluzon
02-22-2008, 03:40 AM
yeah man ,, take it easy ,, "pobre gringuito" was ironic ,, you can not compare Chilean tennis history with USA tennis history ,, Southamerica only have had 2 numbers 1 in all the history "Guga and Rios" ,, and Rios was the first #1 in all Latinoamerican history ,, after him came Coria , Gaudio , Gonzalez, Massu , ( a lot of good player that had the Rios inspiration)

That was 3 month ago.

Courier and Agassi were amazing and legendary tennis players.

Rios beat both of them and that was a "Revolution" in the Brain for Southamerican players. That change the appreciation about this "monsters" Im sure that Rios doesnt have all the "achievements" of Courier and Agassi ,, but Rios beat them and that was something really big in this side of the world,,,,, Rios also Beat Becker, Haas, Ivanisevic, a lot of spanish and argentinians, Muster , Hewit , Kuerten, Henman, Kafelnikov, Rusedsky , etc etc etc. He show that Impossible Is Nothing. And he show that here we have talent but we dont have discipline,,, also we dont have money ( all the famous player in Chile, Argentina and Brasil are from rich familys)

diegaa
02-22-2008, 08:24 AM
That was 3 month ago.

Courier and Agassi were amazing and legendary tennis players.

Rios beat both of them and that was a "Revolution" in the Brain for Southamerican players. That change the appreciation about this "monsters" Im sure that Rios doesnt have all the "achievements" of Courier and Agassi ,, but Rios beat them and that was something really big in this side of the world,,,,, Rios also Beat Becker, Haas, Ivanisevic, a lot of spanish and argentinians, Muster , Hewit , Kuerten, Henman, Kafelnikov, Rusedsky , etc etc etc. He show that Impossible Is Nothing. And he show that here we have talent but we dont have discipline,,, also we dont have money ( all the famous player in Chile, Argentina and Brasil are from rich familys)

thats not entirely true concerning argie players.

peluzon
02-22-2008, 11:04 AM
thats not entirely true concerning argie players.

argie its Argentinians ?? if you say that i believe you

but Nalbandian , Gaudio , Coria , Chela , Monaco , Del Potro ,, etc etc etc,,,, they looks like they come from *better* families than the classic soccer player , Ibarra , Cardozo, Tevez , etc etc

*better* ,, i dont know the word but i say better , thinking in appearance , money , education , you know what i mean ,,

example: Nalbandian looks "better" than Tevez

may be Canas is the exception ,, but he was ball-boy right ???

peluzon
02-22-2008, 11:40 AM
anyway ,, tenis is more classist in southamerica than USA or Europe ,,, im sure about that because in USA (at least in Reno Nevada) there are a lot of free tennis court ,, and for people there , that is something very very normal. In Chile we dont have any free tennis court.

Sorry if I this post is changing the way ,,, but is about something "cultural" and could be interesting for somebody

blackfrido
02-22-2008, 01:38 PM
Counting indoor its 9-9 hardcourt to claycourt. He could play on anything but grass. Not sure what your problem is with Rios but its kind of annoying this vendetta you have against him. He played incredible tennis. Accept it and move on with your life.

Man, he does not have to accept anything....this is just a matter of opinions!
He wasn't such a great player to me either.

Jim Courier fan
05-29-2008, 01:58 PM
Aside from the Aussie final, he went to 5 QF's in slams over 6 years. The other showings ?

The breakdown (In 9 years of play):

Australian Open - 1r, QF, F, 1r, QF
French Open -2r, 2r, 4r, 4r, QF, QF, 1r, 2r, 1r
Wimbledon - 1r, 4r, 1r
US Open 2r, 1r, 2r, QF, 3r, 4r, 3r, 3r, 3r

That's nothing to write home about.

Compare with Courier please.:twisted:

Gorecki
06-02-2008, 02:52 AM

Y si lo haces no te vá nada mal no?

TennisDawg
06-02-2008, 06:56 AM
Ha,

Though, I don't mind seeing Courier get his A#$%ss wiped all over the court, even if it's by Marcelo Rios. We must all give props where it's due, Courier did win several Grand Slams.
Both players did not endear themselves to the tennis masses. Don't care for either players public persona. Courier lost me as a fan when at the top of his game, he read a book during game changeovers. What was he trying to prove, that he was just so bored by it all? What he did project was a lack of understanding for the fans that pay to see tennis, not some smug elitist, reading a book during a tennis match! He is also a very boring tennis commentator.

Rios had the distinction of being ranked numero ono, without one Slam to his credit. Rios seemed to have a chip on his shoulder, throughout his career.

SAFINATORZ
06-02-2008, 03:02 PM
DUDE, not sure if u remeber, courier was getting aggravted during the match, he wasn't able to concentrate and was a total hot head. He took out the book and started reading in order to calm himself down. WHICH he did and started playing quiet well, not sure if u remember, he started making a comeback only to fall in the thrid set tie-breaker.
btw he does a great job as a commentator, probably second to john mcenroe!! unless ofcourse u love barry mackay or M. navaratilova.!

Ha,

Though, I don't mind seeing Courier get his A#$%ss wiped all over the court, even if it's by Marcelo Rios. We must all give props where it's due, Courier did win several Grand Slams.
Both players did not endear themselves to the tennis masses. Don't care for either players public persona. Courier lost me as a fan when at the top of his game, he read a book during game changeovers. What was he trying to prove, that he was just so bored by it all? What he did project was a lack of understanding for the fans that pay to see tennis, not some smug elitist, reading a book during a tennis match! He is also a very boring tennis commentator.

Rios had the distinction of being ranked numero ono, without one Slam to his credit. Rios seemed to have a chip on his shoulder, throughout his career.