PDA

View Full Version : Is anyone good at figuring out guitar chords by ear?

mrjohansson
01-26-2008, 12:26 PM
if you are, could you possibly work this song out roughly:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYCQbFo67wo

i couldn't find an official video, but ah well

it will be much appreciated by my amateur band and I!!!!

yodudedudeyo
01-26-2008, 12:56 PM
in the description it gives you the name of the song and artist, have you tried looking up the tabs?

mrjohansson
01-26-2008, 02:03 PM
in the description it gives you the name of the song and artist, have you tried looking up the tabs?

yeah, unfortunately it's not well-known enough to have been listed anywhere :-|

bluestreak711
01-29-2008, 11:03 PM
i might can get a little of it just enough to get you started and what key do you want it in

i dont know what key they are playing it in

it might not sound the exactly the same because it might not be in the same key

or if you know how to read it i can put it in number format and you can put it in any key you want to for example

1 2 3 4 5 6 7
key of c c d e f g a b
key of a a b c# d e f# g#

ok i dont have much of it but maybe it will help (getting ready to post)

and i will post the lyrics here to have something to work with

bluestreak711
01-29-2008, 11:07 PM
Joshua Radin - Don't Look Away lyrics

My eye's reflection
windows perfection
look and you'll see
the things I can be

the graves have passed
the moments don't last
like the God's of old days
that don't see my way
what I want today

don't look away, if you do than i may
no one knows truth not even you
you let your mind show
hate that i've known
that i've been there before
don't look away anymore

your stare is like a spot on the sun
I'm blind but the only one
who knows what to say to you
I say it today to you
your stare's like a wave
breakaway
from my life in the sand
a simple plan
what I want today

you let your mind show
hate that i've known
don't look away anymore

you can't see me now
all those games you play
I can't know you know
I need one more day
cause I want to tell you

you let your mind show
hate that i've known
don't look away anymore

you let your mind show
hate that i've known
don't look away anymore

not even you (4x)

bluestreak711
01-29-2008, 11:17 PM
(4)don't (1)look a--way (5)if (1)you do than (4)i (1)may

i know its not much but it may be a start
i might be off a bit but see if that helps and let me know

bluestreak711
01-30-2008, 02:52 PM
i put the number representing the chord in front of the syallble the chord is supposed to be played

let me know if you have trouble reading it and tell me what key you want it in and i will put it in a certain key instead of number format

i just now edited it because i just seen it didnt line up when i tried to put the chord above the words

mrjohansson
01-31-2008, 12:17 PM
i put the number representing the chord in front of the syallble the chord is supposed to be played

let me know if you have trouble reading it and tell me what key you want it in and i will put it in a certain key instead of number format

i just now edited it because i just seen it didnt line up when i tried to put the chord above the words

Hi, thanks a lot for taking a look at this for me, i'll have a go at playing it in a few different keys then let you know how i get on :)

bluestreak711
01-31-2008, 09:47 PM
Hi, thanks a lot for taking a look at this for me, i'll have a go at playing it in a few different keys then let you know how i get on :)

you are very welcome and to be honest i am a piano player lol
because of that it is easier for me to get it than a guitar player would

what i do is sound out the melody with just one finger and mash down all the keys of the chord with my left hand and see which one best corresponds with the note at that time

also another intreating fact guitar chords are the same as piano chords so if you get sheet music for the piano with the chords written above it you can play those chords on the guitar

heres something that will help you in the future
if you can get to a piano sound out the one finger melody with your right hand and the as you play each note hold down all the keys of the chord with your left hand and find the chord that best corresponds with each note

well it doesnt sound like a bed of roses unless you learn to play the chord properly in the correct timing but that isnt necessary for you because you are a guitar player

if you try that little trick always do it in the key of c on the piano because it is the easiest key to play in and you always can transpose it
i cant even play the song but i found the chords like that

and i know it isnt a good idea to get involved with two instrments but that little bit there shouldnt hurt
doing it like that you are not even learning the piano you are just finding the chords you need
that isnt even playing right but that trick surely comes in handy to find the chords you need

or if you know somebody that plays the piano just a little bit even a begainer that has been playing a couple months can help you out with the chords

i am sorry for the rant it is a habbit for me.i just hope i might have said something that you can find useful.and i really dont know when to stop talking:)lol

anyway let me know if you get any where or not if you need to i will have a second look at it