PDA

View Full Version : Why do tennis stars not use certain racquets?

DomStar7
01-26-2008, 12:31 PM
how come tennis players dont seem to have oversize racquets (107sq) and how do most of them use the same raquet such as the k six 1 95 or the k blade?

please answer:)

Bencia
01-26-2008, 01:31 PM
A lot of them use the k six rackets because they are endorsed by Wilson and they feel that the k six rackets are best suited for them out of all of the wilson rackets. As far as the fact so little use oversize rackets is due to the fact that they can generate a ton of power on their own and they get more control with a smaller frame. Their are some top womens players that use large frames though. I am pretty sure that the k factor venus and serena used last year was an oversize.

vince916
01-26-2008, 01:34 PM
Wilson makes superior racquets.

Bencia
01-26-2008, 01:47 PM
wilson has superior marketing. If you have seen pictures of Novak Djokovic from when he was young, You will notice that he used PRINCE rackets. He just uses Wilson because they were able to offer a sponsorship to him.

vsbabolat
01-26-2008, 02:34 PM
wilson has superior marketing. If you have seen pictures of Novak Djokovic from when he was young, You will notice that he used PRINCE rackets. He just uses Wilson because they were able to offer a sponsorship to him.

I thought Djokovic used HEAD racquets before Wilson.
http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w50/vsbabolat/ND.jpg

Bencia
01-26-2008, 03:08 PM
I thought Djokovic used HEAD racquets
before Wilson.
http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w50/vsbabolat/ND.jpg
I can't find the picture but I saw it on ESPN while watching the australian open (picture of him with a prince racket). The picture you have shows him at an age where he probably had a sponsorship. maybe he switched sponsorships from head to wilson.

Bencia
01-26-2008, 10:27 PM
I guess he has used adidas for a while.

Forehand Forever
01-26-2008, 10:52 PM
I guess he has used adidas for a while.

He might have a family sponsorship or something. His two younger brothers also were wearing Adidas.

Bud
01-26-2008, 11:40 PM
A lot of them use the k six rackets because they are endorsed by Wilson and they feel that the k six rackets are best suited for them out of all of the wilson rackets. As far as the fact so little use oversize rackets is due to the fact that they can generate a ton of power on their own and they get more control with a smaller frame. Their are some top womens players that use large frames though. I am pretty sure that the k factor venus and serena used last year was an oversize.

How large is Sharapova's Prince?

Bud
01-26-2008, 11:42 PM
I can't find the picture but I saw it on ESPN while watching the australian open (picture of him with a prince racket). The picture you have shows him at an age where he probably had a sponsorship. maybe he switched sponsorships from head to wilson.

Apparently (based on other threads) he uses a Wilson, that they've produced specifically for him, that is very similar to the LM Radical. They've painted it to look like a Kblade/Nblade.

That looks like a genuine Mid+ LM Radical in that pic. Sometimes, it's hard to tell them apart from a LM Radical PJ on a PT280.

Bencia
01-26-2008, 11:44 PM
How large is Sharapova's Prince?
the O3 white is 100 square inches

DomStar7
01-27-2008, 05:02 AM
Cool comments everyone!

Clay lover
01-27-2008, 05:42 AM
They appear to use the same racquets because the company gives their racquets the same paintjobs of the racquet the company wants to promote. That's what I think at least.

iplaybetter
01-27-2008, 06:14 AM
with a small head comes a smaller sweet-spot, less forgiving, but when you hit the sweet spot its much better

Nellie
01-27-2008, 08:28 AM
Well - some players do play with different frames - the Williams sisters player with larger, lighter racquets. Some older players started with a Prince OVersize and stayed with the racquet. Agassi played with an oversize, etc.

You have to remember about pros:
1) they practice for hours everyday, so they prioritize comfort and injury prevention over power and performance

2) most of the players are creatures of habits, so they stay with the racquets they played with as juniors. So the racquets the pros use now is often, essentially, the state of the art of 10 years ago when they got serious. Thats whay you are starting to see players go to lighter racquets because babolat has contracts with a lot of acadamies and the players trained with lighter babloats pure drives. Similar the Bolletari school is a Prince place so many of the players there (Sharapove, Jankovic) are with Prince.

YULitle
01-27-2008, 08:42 AM
the O3 white is 100 square inches

Her's might be different. I know that her string pattern is different. If you get any close-up picture of her racquet, you can see that she has a few extra mains/crosses. So, it may stand to reason that the face is larger too. Also, I knew a guy that strung for her and he claimed that her racquet was 1.5in. longer as well, though I have no way to prove that... :D

Bencia
01-27-2008, 08:48 AM
Her's might be different. I know that her string pattern is different. If you get any close-up picture of her racquet, you can see that she has a few extra mains/crosses. So, it may stand to reason that the face is larger too. Also, I knew a guy that strung for her and he claimed that her racquet was 1.5in. longer as well, though I have no way to prove that... :D

so do you think she painted over an O3 blue?

YULitle
01-27-2008, 08:53 AM
The Blue and the White have the same string pattern (16x19.)

In this picture:
http://www.funnypictures.net.au/images/maria-sharapova-screaming.jpg
You can clearly see that there are 18 mains in her O3 White instead of the stock 16.

DomStar7
01-27-2008, 10:16 AM
oh i see cool

kungfusmkim
01-27-2008, 11:19 AM

It was a MP not a OS only 104 sq in not like their Wline racquets or the Ncode ones.

DomStar7
01-27-2008, 12:54 PM
add more comments !!!

Bencia
01-28-2008, 03:14 PM
add more comments !!!
you know that you can comment on what we say.

drakulie
01-28-2008, 03:17 PM
add more comments !!!

Only 3 pros are using Volkl.

zhanny
01-28-2008, 03:19 PM
a lot of womyn players are using oversized racuqets
example - serena williams

Wheelz
01-28-2008, 04:18 PM

And one of them is a Canadian, Frank Dancevic.

matchmaker
01-28-2008, 04:27 PM

Well, I guess it all comes down to marketing. This week-end I tried the Volkl Tour 10 V-Engine and I must say it is one of the best player's racquets in the market. It has a really nice feel to it.

Anyway between what you see on television and what they are actually playing with there is a wide gap.

vkartikv
01-28-2008, 04:29 PM
According to some people here, it doesn't matter what racquet you use. Apparently there is no such thing as 'heavy' or 'unstable' and it's all in one's technique. Nevertheless, they are very particular about which racquet (or brand) they play with..

drakulie
01-28-2008, 04:30 PM
Well, I guess it all comes down to marketing. This week-end I tried the Volkl Tour 10 V-Engine and I must say it is one of the best player's racquets in the market. It has a really nice feel to it.

Did you switch to this frame??

matchmaker
01-29-2008, 11:28 AM
Did you switch to this frame??

Basically I bought the demo from a shop and now I am thinking of buying more of them as long as they are available. It still have to do some more practice with it but from the first I can say that its volleys are about the best I have ever felt, exploiting its serve potential will come with practice and the fear I had of it being underpowered on groundies proved to be unjustified. I did add 10 grams to 9 and 3 on the hoop under the head guard, which is in itself a beautiful construction detail to customise the racquet without it being visual and damaging the cosmetics.

DomStar7
01-29-2008, 12:32 PM
why did djokovic have that upside down triangle pattern on his strings???

matchmaker
01-29-2008, 12:52 PM
why did djokovic have that upside down triangle pattern on his strings???

That is the symbol of the strings he uses, Tecnifibre. Djokovic has his racquet full of stencils: W for Wilson and the Tecnifibre triangle under it. When actually his racquet is an old Head mold with a Kblade paint job on it.

scotus
01-29-2008, 01:37 PM
A number of pros have used oversized racquets. Agassi, Chang, Sabatini, Frazer, the Williams sisters, etc., have used oversized racquets.

PBODY99
01-29-2008, 06:07 PM
Maria's O3 white is a custom drilled 18 main frame.