PDA

View Full Version : your guys opinions on a standard length and extended length racket

anbu4ever11
01-26-2008, 04:53 PM
im currently using a babolat apdc and may go ahead and try the babolat pure storm tour.im not sure though if i should go with the standard pure storm tour or the pure storm tour plus.wanted to know what people think of the extened length.not sure what the advantages is or not.i have a two handed backhand and a use a mixture of different forehand grips.still trying to pick one that i like.im an all court type of player but wont get stuck at the net too often.so i was hoping that i can get your opinions of extended length rackets and non ones.thanks

racquet_jedi
01-26-2008, 05:07 PM
I've decided that my next racquet will definitely be extended length, it seems that I've gotten too used to 27.5 inch frames...

Extended length racquets provide more reach and leverage...

Babb
01-26-2008, 05:08 PM
I've never used anything but 27.5". If I changed lengths, it would be to 28"...

dejavu
01-26-2008, 06:20 PM
extended will give you more power and leverage on the servce, but you'll give up net playability. I had two extended version of ps classic and it was great on the serve.

Alafter
01-26-2008, 06:49 PM
You might not be sensitive to half an inch, like me. I hardly notice the half inch on the Nblade OS coming from POG OS.

Hmmm, why do I feel tempted to hit with the POG OS Again?

BAD ALAFTER BAD! YOU SHALL NOT HIT WITH OTHER STICKS! YOU SHALL CONCENTRATE ON YOUR GAME ON COURT! BAD ALAFTER!

NamRanger
01-26-2008, 07:11 PM
I have a customized Yonex RDS 001 with an extra inch on it, and it defintely has way more pop on the serve and forehand.

Nellie
01-26-2008, 09:14 PM
I notice a difference between the standard and plus babolats. The longer plus sizes feel a lot heavier and have less touch. I notice some extrapower, but what I really notice is the extra swingwieght and the higher sweetspot, especially on serves. I find the longer racquets are particularly noticable on kick servers. I prefer the longer racquets with a two-handed backhand, but otherwise prefer the standard length racquet for most other shots. I think that the second hand with the 2hbh really shortens the effective length and wieght of the racquet, so the longer racquets are better for two hands. I think that is why you sometimes see players like Bartolli with two-handers from both sides playing with freakishly long racquets.

anbu4ever11
01-27-2008, 10:43 AM
ah i see,thats good to know

vndesu
01-27-2008, 01:18 PM
i have the pure storm standard and the +
the standard is very solid and i can make any shot happen
the + works very well too.
serves, volleys, fh, bh it all works.

i used to use the pure control plus so i am used to the pure storm.
what i want to try is the prionce longbody though,
28 inches :]

anbu4ever11
02-16-2008, 12:35 PM
does swing style matter if you use the extended or non extended.like i was wondering if windshield wiping technique is easier on extended or standard.i have a mixture still and was wondering if extended is good for certain styles and if non extended are good for others.

theone
02-16-2008, 12:44 PM
My racket has a 27.25" length and I use a one handed backhand. I don't find the length detrimental to my backhand (if anything it helps) and it can only benifit on serve. I've never tried 27.5 but I don't think i'd want to.

BaselinePlaya
02-16-2008, 12:52 PM
I am currently using to 27.5 inch frames- I though I get more power from the baseline and on serves, I feel that I'm losing some control at the net. I'm thinking of moving back to a 27 inch frame. Its definately easier to control IMO

NoBadMojo
02-16-2008, 02:44 PM
Personally, I really dont see the need for extended racquets unless you are a very good player. they take away your control, and it is pretty easy to find standard length racquets which are powerful enough and strings which are powerful enough
Also, it's very easy to make your standard length racquet into an extended length one....just grip the racquet farther down on the handle if you already arent doing that......i guess I've been playing a type of extended racquet in a way all these years, as I've always gripped low on my racquets and a part of my hand easily extends at least 1/2" below the grip

2handsbothsides
02-16-2008, 04:19 PM
Longer racquets are definitely beneficial to 2 handed strokes and the serve. When I started playing about 20 years ago all racquets were 27 inches. Seemed way to short to me, so I quickly learned to extend frames and adjust weight and balance.

As I improved I actually slowly went from 29” to my present 28”. I have a few of the same frames at 27.75 and 27.5 but I get best results at 28. Base frames are Wilson Prostaff 6.1 95 and now POG OS. Wish I had started with the POG!

One handed players need not apply, unless you can swing like Henin. What she does with that head heavy extended frame is remarkable. I have to have about 12 points head light.

From Jura’s data the average length of a male pro’s racquet in 2006 was 27.3 inches.

Cnote
02-16-2008, 04:44 PM
The 27.5 as stated in previous threads does give me more power on the serve but I don't like the lack of control I personally get with a shorter racquet. As I have been able to progress in the game I really value placing my serves and shots as opposed to heavy balls so a shorter racquet helps me. Also I have 1HBH and longer racquets don't do so well for me.