PDA

View Full Version : Best Racket you ever found at goodwill or a garage sale?

dantespark33
01-26-2008, 08:51 PM
What is the best racket you ever found at goodwill or a garage sale for cheap?

mine is a yonex rqi ti 500 long (something like that)

anirut
01-26-2008, 09:21 PM
I found:
PK Graphite Comp 90
Head Professional (Red Head)
Head Graphite Edge
Head Graphite Edge TXE
Prince Graphite Pro 90
Wilson JK Autograph (wood - mint condition)
Wilson Advantage (wood - mint condition)

Applesauceman
01-26-2008, 09:25 PM
Prince Original Graphite 100 Longbody 28", couldn't believe they were only asking $20!! Looked almost brand new.

thejuice
01-26-2008, 09:36 PM
Pro Kennex Black Ace in 8/10 condition for $2. Can't beat that.

dantespark33
01-26-2008, 10:23 PM
geez where do you guys shop?
my discount places suck T_T

ChuDat
01-26-2008, 10:27 PM
i should go to my local goodwill and see what i can find

Deuce
01-26-2008, 10:42 PM
This is a bad thread...

will just lead to frustration for many...

bad idea...

too frustrating...

bad thread....

ChuDat
01-26-2008, 10:47 PM
This is a bad thread...

bad idea...

too frustrating...

bad thread....

ok

10 char

quicken
01-26-2008, 11:05 PM
Prostaff 6.0 85 for .50c
Couldnt buy it, a buy beat me to it =(

tzinc
01-26-2008, 11:26 PM
Some people have found some INCREDIBLE deals at garage sales. Not me :(

Bud
01-26-2008, 11:33 PM
This is a bad thread...

bad idea...

too frustrating...

bad thread....

Great answer :rolleyes:

I found a POG for 20 bucks at the local tennis pro shop :)

DarthCow
01-26-2008, 11:50 PM
A Wilson K90 for 8 bucks.
Just kidding. I wish that were true.
But no, i havent got a racquet from any of those places.

ChuDat
01-27-2008, 12:06 AM

I found a POG for 20 bucks at the local tennis pro shop :)

mid, mp or os?

Bud
01-27-2008, 12:08 AM
mid, mp or os?

OS... :)

ChuDat
01-27-2008, 12:09 AM
OS... :)

what did you do with it?

anirut
01-27-2008, 12:22 AM
This is a bad thread...

bad idea...

too frustrating...

bad thread....

Yeah, Deuce, it can really be frustrating, especially like when I got the TXE for like $3 and the Graphite Edge for $8 ...

Deuce
01-27-2008, 01:50 AM
Yeah, Deuce, it can really be frustrating, especially like when I got the TXE for like $3 and the Graphite Edge for $8 ...
You see...
That's the kind of stuff that I don't want to know.

And I wouldn't have known it if this thread was never created.

If you keep this up, Bud, you're going to set a record for number of times to 'not get it' in one night.

anirut
01-27-2008, 02:12 AM
You see...
That's the kind of stuff that I don't want to know.

And I wouldn't have known it if this thread was never created.

I know what you mean ... I was just pulling on you ... haha.

Deuce
01-27-2008, 02:18 AM
I know what you mean ... I was just pulling on you ... haha. Well... I got an XRC for $5.
But that was at a used sports store.

The only tennis related thing I ever got at a garage sale was a Radical Tour racquet cover (for $2, I believe).
I like those old Head racquet covers that are basically the same shape as the racquet. Not too bulky.

hit2mybh
01-27-2008, 02:30 AM
a buddy of mine picked up two Wilson Pro Staff 85s, think he paid $10 for both. This was about 8 years ago and he still uses the sticks.

anirut
01-27-2008, 02:40 AM
Well... I got an XRC for $5.
But that was at a used sports store.

One kid wanted sell a well-beaten up and cracked-paint XRC to me for like $20. I just told him "F-off".

Actually the XRC's something I'd like to get one.

jcstennis
01-27-2008, 06:19 AM
i told this story here (TW Forums) a little while ago... i'll keep it short... was in an old antique store about 2-3 years ago, saw 2 wilson tennis racquets, one looked to be a PS 6.0 85. so i picked it up, offered ten dollars for it, and bought it. it was in great shape for what i thought was an older racquet. got it strung, played with it a couple of times... then thought this looks a lot like what Pete Sampras used to use... so i did some research... and sure enough i picked up a St Vincent with Fairway leather in very good condition for $10! (in my haste at the time, i sold the racquet, for huge profit, immediately!!! big mistake... one i still regret)

thejuice
01-27-2008, 06:56 AM
i told this story here (TW Forums) a little while ago... i'll keep it short... was in an old antique store about 2-3 years ago, saw 2 wilson tennis racquets, one looked to be a PS 6.0 85. so i picked it up, offered ten dollars for it, and bought it. it was in great shape for what i thought was an older racquet. got it strung, played with it a couple of times... then thought this looks a lot like what Pete Sampras used to use... so i did some research... and sure enough i picked up a St Vincent with Fairway leather in very good condition for $10! (in my haste at the time, i sold the racquet, for huge profit, immediately!!! big mistake... one i still regret)

I remember you telling that story from before. Such a depressing story!!!
:cry: :cry: :cry:

jcstennis
01-27-2008, 07:06 AM
^^^lol... i bought 3 racquets from selling that one! but never kept any of those three! i still have pics of the StV, sometimes i look at them and just sigh! :)

Azzurri
01-27-2008, 08:09 AM
^^^lol... i bought 3 racquets from selling that one! but never kept any of those three! i still have pics of the StV, sometimes i look at them and just sigh! :)

u can always buy another.:)

jcstennis
01-27-2008, 10:18 AM
^^^mmm, true-true... :)

playtesting a K90 right now...

dantespark33
01-27-2008, 10:31 AM

very nice
i would have never thought of going to an antique shop
i ll go out discount shopping to see what i can get later today

Azzurri
01-27-2008, 10:44 AM
^^^mmm, true-true... :)

playtesting a K90 right now...

just got a matched pair from TW. They are exactly the same. I love kowing I could pcik up either and not feel a difference.

jcstennis
01-27-2008, 10:46 AM
^^or estate sales... you never know! i was just plain lucky to have seen that racquet collecting dust in a corner!!!

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p212/jbird_5150/racquets006.jpg

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p212/jbird_5150/racquets008.jpg

and there she is/was! :cry:

jcstennis
01-27-2008, 10:52 AM
just got a matched pair from TW. They are exactly the same. I love kowing I could pcik up either and not feel a difference.

sounds nice... i'm working with a customizer, he's already worked on my K this weekend, will do the same tommorw.. hopefully finish it up... if all is good, may go with another and match 'em. :)

why the US K90 and not the AK90? you where an AK90 player right?

TsongaBonga
01-27-2008, 11:04 AM
PS 85 20 bucks, beat up so I did a custom pj, the K-90 pj but lime green instead of red. Looks lush!

TheShaun
01-27-2008, 11:26 AM
PS 85 20 bucks, beat up so I did a custom pj, the K-90 pj but lime green instead of red. Looks lush!

sounds cool! how long did it take to paint? post some pics...

Chace
01-27-2008, 11:49 AM
PS 6.1 from Salvation Army for $10

acura1203
01-27-2008, 11:52 AM
My friend got an Wilson Ultra II from a garage sale for $10. I played with it once. It felt so nice. I wish I had that kind of luck.

JW10S
01-27-2008, 08:31 PM
3 or 4 years ago some friends of mine were newly weds and looking to furnish their house by going to estate sales. I was with them one time and while they were looking at furniture I spotted a never strung matte black Yamaha Secret on sale for something like $5. For those unfamiliar the Secret was a great racquet. Yannick Noah used one for a time while he was on tour and Gabby Sabatini used an oversized white version toward the end of her career. I told my friend, who was and still is a casual 1-2 times a week player that he should buy it and that I would give him strings for it. He said 'I've never heard of it'. I said 'But that's the secret'. He bought it and still uses it now. I've since tried to give him some of my newer more modern frames and he refuses to take them. He loves his Secret.

lilxjohnyy
01-27-2008, 08:36 PM
is there any of these kind of stores in MD ? thanks

dantespark33
01-27-2008, 08:56 PM
well they should have goodwills like everywhere
or you can try an antique store
or garage sales etc.
my dad goes to yard sales all the time and brings me back some decent stuff

waginen
01-28-2008, 03:30 AM
Yesterday i bought Head Prestige Tour 600 for 15 bucks. I always loved this stick

Azzurri
01-28-2008, 05:31 AM
sounds nice... i'm working with a customizer, he's already worked on my K this weekend, will do the same tommorw.. hopefully finish it up... if all is good, may go with another and match 'em. :)

why the US K90 and not the AK90? you where an AK90 player right?

I don't have any customizers in this area and am really not good enough.:)

Yes, I played with the AK90 since last Spring. I actually had the USK90 prior to the AK, but it felt a bit heavy. My arm was tired after a set or so. In December my clinic instructor asked me to hit with the US K90. He thought I would get more pop on my serve with a heavier racquet. I ended up getting just that. So I played the demo (and my Max 200g) a few more times. The extra weight did not bother me at all. I think all the playing I have done strenghtened my arm/shoulder, so I decided on the switch. I got more spin and power on my serves with the US version and my returns seemed more solid (when making proper contact). Now the great thing is I asked for the US K90 to be on the lower end of the weight scale and they came back to me exactly how I asked. They were right at 12.5 oz. strung. I will be playing them tonight. Can't wait!:)

VGP
01-28-2008, 06:50 AM
Years back, I could get wooden rackets at used sporting goods stores for around $2-$4. Now, I'm just trying to score some graphites....

Some notable ones from used sporting goods stores and thrift stores:

Dunlop Maxply Unstrung $2
Wilson Profile 3.6 110 w/case $15
Wilson Profile 2.6 95 $20
Prince CTS Precision 110 $10
Prince Diablo XP MP $15
Prince TT Graphite Mid $15
Wilson Pro Staff Largehead Chicago $9
Wilson Pro Staff Mid St. Vincent w/case $6

jcstennis
01-28-2008, 07:01 AM
I don't have any customizers in this area and am really not good enough.:)

Yes, I played with the AK90 since last Spring. I actually had the USK90 prior to the AK, but it felt a bit heavy. My arm was tired after a set or so. In December my clinic instructor asked me to hit with the US K90. He thought I would get more pop on my serve with a heavier racquet. I ended up getting just that. So I played the demo (and my Max 200g) a few more times. The extra weight did not bother me at all. I think all the playing I have done strenghtened my arm/shoulder, so I decided on the switch. I got more spin and power on my serves with the US version and my returns seemed more solid (when making proper contact). Now the great thing is I asked for the US K90 to be on the lower end of the weight scale and they came back to me exactly how I asked. They were right at 12.5 oz. strung. I will be playing them tonight. Can't wait!:)

nice, my K is @ 355gs right now, plays great! serving is seriously "filthy"! the spin and pace you can put on the ball is sick!

i thought about picking up an AK90 and weight it up a touch... is the AK90 as stable and "sweet" feeling ans the K90? (i'm sure i can search this..:) )

what part of PA u from or near? eastern Pa? (i live near Philly, across the bridge in Jersey)..

Azzurri
01-28-2008, 08:01 AM
nice, my K is @ 355gs right now, plays great! serving is seriously "filthy"! the spin and pace you can put on the ball is sick!

i thought about picking up an AK90 and weight it up a touch... is the AK90 as stable and "sweet" feeling ans the K90? (i'm sure i can search this..:) )

what part of PA u from or near? eastern Pa? (i live near Philly, across the bridge in Jersey)..

I guess mine is around 354 grams.

The AK90 is very stable. I just can't give a compare/contrast until I hit with the US. I will let you know later tonight. I will have a chance to play it with my regular string set up. The demo had a Kirshbaum poly (I hate Poly strings), so I will know exactly the difference between the two later.

I am in the Scranton area. Where is Jersey?

jcstennis
01-28-2008, 05:52 PM
^^^ umm, New Jersey. Cherry Hill area, not far from Philly.

Any snow on the ground? :)

Can't wait to read the review...

Katlion
01-28-2008, 06:26 PM
Pictures PLEASE!!!!

iplaybetter
01-28-2008, 06:28 PM
This is a bad thread...

bad idea...

too frustrating...

bad thread....

i see you have deep love for this tread and all it stands for

yourmom08
01-28-2008, 06:41 PM
some older guy that clearly played maybe once per month asked me how much his O3 Hybrid Hornet was worth. It was in PERFECT condition. I told him how much it was worth and he said he just bought it on a garage sale for $15

inwoodnyc
01-28-2008, 07:44 PM
Found this in trash about 2 months ago. I think it may be an SV. How do I tell if it is an SV? GYO on buttcap, no bumper guard.

http://i28.tinypic.com/2coo3va.jpg
http://i30.tinypic.com/i53wxl.jpg
http://i26.tinypic.com/8wy2wn.jpg

saram
01-28-2008, 07:53 PM
Dunlop m-fil 200 18x20 for $3.50.

BounceHitBounceHit
01-28-2008, 07:55 PM
(1) Head Pro (aluminum....aka The Red Head)
(2) Head Arthur Ashe Competions
(1) Head XRC

VERY Happy Me.

CC

THSBOI
01-28-2008, 08:10 PM
Dammmm lol i would love to find a prostaff for that price =P

Azzurri
01-28-2008, 08:15 PM
^^^ umm, New Jersey. Cherry Hill area, not far from Philly.

Any snow on the ground? :)

Can't wait to read the review...

snow (what little we had) is gone. Melted Sunday. But too cold to play.

OK. My comparison:

The clinic started with spin shots. We worked on forehand and backhand slice to both sides of the court. I will say it took me some time to get used to the racquet. These racquets are a bit lighter than the demo I have been using. OInce I got the hang of the racquet I was surprised the amount of spin I was getting. We have 5 guys in the clinic and 3 of them told me I was getting "sick", "wicked" and "great" spin from my new racquet. In fact,while we were in of the drills, one of the guys said to the other, "amazing how much spin he gets", so I heard and thought that was good.

So I did get nice spin.

We then played a doubles match. My partner tonight was once ranked #5 in Paraguay. He is in his 40's and he has a really nice game. He hits incredible angles (he is also the head pro and runs the clinic). Anyway, I found the serve to be about the same with my prior Asians, I was hitting well. Put it this way, 3 service games, won all 3 and they only won one point off my 1sy serve, so I am satisfied with that.

Besides the spin I was generating on slice backhands, I noticed a big difference in my return game. Maybe the stability (which I just thought of has been mentioned quite often) is the reason. I will say I faced the toughest server in the group and we broke him 2/3 chances. I was complimented quite a few times from my coach on my serves and returns. I know its the racquet because I had some return issues lately playing with the AK90. Sio this was a pleasent surprise.

Overall I felt there was a bit more spin, serves were about the same, forehands felt the same, backhands were better (Icould have been the difference in the weigt of the racquet. I just swung it cleaner on my bakhands and I felt the stability, net was a little more powerful. I noticed that even though the racquets are heavier then my AK90's, they were easy enough to maneuver. They just feel really stable at the net and I was able to move the sticks very well.
So the return game was the big difference. I felt the extra weight kept me from "flailing" too much. So I am very happy with the switch.

tennis4losers
01-28-2008, 10:29 PM
a UNUSED POG OS for 30. i thought it was a sweet deal.

VGP
01-29-2008, 08:19 AM
Found this in trash about 2 months ago. I think it may be an SV. How do I tell if it is an SV? GYO on buttcap, no bumper guard.

http://i28.tinypic.com/2coo3va.jpg
http://i30.tinypic.com/i53wxl.jpg
http://i26.tinypic.com/8wy2wn.jpg

Yours is a SV. The GYO should actually be a GYQ. Sometime the bottom part of the "Q"s don't transfer.

Given the stickers, especially the recommended tension, and the W on the buttcap with out the "rights reserved" circle-R, the squared off grommet channels, you can see red primer at the PWS, "midsize" on both sides of the throat, it's a SV.

If you wanna trade SVs for a larger grip let me know.

AlpineCadet
01-29-2008, 08:20 AM
PS 85 20 bucks, beat up so I did a custom pj, the K-90 pj but lime green instead of red. Looks lush!Have any pictures?

inwoodnyc
01-29-2008, 08:35 AM
Yours is a SV. The GYO should actually be a GYQ. Sometime the bottom part of the "Q"s don't transfer.

Given the stickers, especially the recommended tension, and the W on the buttcap with out the "rights reserved" circle-R, the squared off grommet channels, you can see red primer at the PWS, "midsize" on both sides of the throat, it's a SV.

If you wanna trade SVs for a larger grip let me know.

Thanks for the confirmation! now if I can only find a nice Fairway leather grip to put on the racquet :wink:

davey
01-29-2008, 09:17 AM
A few months ago I noticed a POG OS in the charity bin at some public courts. It was near mint condition with what looked like new strings.

jasonchu
01-30-2008, 10:08 AM
$4.00 at goodwill. handle in plastic, never used, and apparently donated by a local sporting goods chain that did not know what they had....

it was like finding Ashley Judd, Jessica Alba, and Charlize Theron
all waiting for me at home and for some reason giving me the time of day :)

(just kidding people, please don't create a fire thread):shock:

leon505
01-30-2008, 11:26 AM
I think the most ridiculous racquet i ever found in a garage sale was an old kniesel racquet marketed as the ivan lendl signature racquet.

Gorecki
01-30-2008, 11:42 AM
a Donnay Borg Graphite for 12.5 $ at a outlet sports shop.

basil J
01-30-2008, 05:27 PM
brand new 200G revelation. Plastic still on the handle I think I paid $25.00 or $30.00 bucks. Sold it for $120.00 the following week...

Bud
01-30-2008, 05:38 PM
some older guy that clearly played maybe once per month asked me how much his O3 Hybrid Hornet was worth. It was in PERFECT condition. I told him how much it was worth and he said he just bought it on a garage sale for $15

I found a nice OS Hybrid Hornet in the trash for Free :lol:

stevewcosta
01-31-2008, 09:48 AM
Not garage sale but tennis shop that sells older frames, mostly used stuff----a brand new, plastic on handle early chinese PS 6.0 85 for $75 2 yrs. ago (in my grip size w/Fairway leather). The shop owner said, "Sure, you can have that for $75. No one wants those anymore..." Damn. I should have offered $40.

gsquicksilver
01-31-2008, 10:22 AM
bought 10 pro staff 85's at swap meets.

2 chicago
2 taiwan (1 mint)
6 st. vinny's (1 mint)

the most expensive one cost me 10 bucks.

cheers!

TheShaun
01-31-2008, 12:04 PM
I found a nice OS Hybrid Hornet in the trash for Free :lol:

i seem to recall a thread about that. you posted pics too, i think. nice find!

VGP
01-31-2008, 01:35 PM
Not a great deal, but ok.....I just got a POG mid for $15 on Monday.

VGP
01-31-2008, 01:35 PM

2 chicago
2 taiwan (1 mint)
6 st. vinny's (1 mint)

cheers!

How many of those do you still have/use?

AlpineCadet
01-31-2008, 01:40 PM
Would this be considered a deal? PT630 with the LM Paintjob for 225 each?

VGP
01-31-2008, 01:51 PM
Would this be considered a deal? PT630 with the LM Paintjob for 225 each?

Depends on who they were made for and if you've got documentation.

Seacoast Stringer
01-31-2008, 01:53 PM
Last year I bought a Rossignol F200 (or F250 carbon...I think that is the model #) for $10 at a yard sale. It was in almost mint condition and a lot of fun to play - talk about flexible!!!

AlpineCadet
01-31-2008, 01:55 PM
Depends on who they were made for and if you've got documentation.
I sent him an email and asked: Can I have pictures of these frames? How does 225 sound + shipping?

He then replies with: Here are some pics, one of the racquets is BRAND NEW, never strung. The
other has just one stringjob and around 10 hs of play.
I got the frames from a guy, he works for Head or something
like that.
Sorry, but your offer is too low, another TW member has offered much more.

Regards,

WHY DO I GET THE FEELING HE'S CREATING HIS OWN AUCTION?

gonzalocatalino
01-31-2008, 03:19 PM
Wilson Pro Staff 6.0, st. Vincent (bumperless), bad condition...u$s4!

ricomon
01-31-2008, 04:49 PM
Wilson PS Tour 95 - $29.96
Head LQ Prestige MP - $29.96
Yonex MP Tour1 90 - $29.96
Yonex MP Tour1 98 - $19.96
Slazenger Henman Pro Braided - $19.96 Grip still in plastic
PK Type S - $13.99 Bought 2 of 'em

Every year or so, Sport Chalet, where I work by the way, has a demo sale and sometimes the racquets they sell haven't gone out too many times like the Slazenger.

kfactor/all/the/WAY!
02-01-2008, 09:28 PM
hahaha. i recently bought 3 mint condition babolat pure drives for 80. wow i totally ripped the person. i also got a string machine for 100. it was a pretty new gamma string machine because her son got a new one. too bad i dont use babolat.tehe

leon505
02-01-2008, 10:24 PM
a Donnay Borg Graphite for 12.5 $ at a outlet sports shop.

I thought borg's donnay's weren't availible to the general public?
or was it a "signature" racquet?

xr3fgb
03-17-2008, 12:09 PM
Hi, everyone! I finally lucked out during one of my Goodwill drop-offs and wanted to share my good fortune with you all. I found a 7/10 condition Head Elite Pro* for $1.99! I'm pretty stoked and can't wait to take it out for a spin. Just swinging and bouncing balls around at home, it feels extremely buttery.

I think this is probably a great time to do some racquet hunting at goodwill and other thrift shops (spring cleaning!).

This is one of my favorite threads.

*I thought it was funny that my wife calls it "the Hulk" because of it's deep green color...I certainly don't think it will play like one.

Serve n' Volley
03-17-2008, 12:46 PM
KFactor/All/The/Way, do you still happen to have those Babolat frames? If so, are they the team standard version?

retrowagen
03-17-2008, 02:02 PM
Hi, everyone! I finally lucked out during one of my Goodwill drop-offs and wanted to share my good fortune with you all. I found a 7/10 condition Head Elite Pro* for $1.99! I'm pretty stoked and can't wait to take it out for a spin. Just swinging and bouncing balls around at home, it feels extremely buttery.

I think this is probably a great time to do some racquet hunting at goodwill and other thrift shops (spring cleaning!).

This is one of my favorite threads.

*I thought it was funny that my wife calls it "the Hulk" because of it's deep green color...I certainly don't think it will play like one.

Cool racket! My all time favorite, in fact.

If you find it does not meet your expectations, I'd be happy to buy it from you; I still use them in tournament play and am always looking for them. Thanks!

galain
03-17-2008, 02:34 PM
My Max 200G was $5 - had a broken string they didn't know what to do with.

I also picked up my Precison Response 660 for $15 - I think that was my best find so far.

Pro Staff Pete
03-17-2008, 02:37 PM

2 chicago
2 taiwan (1 mint)
6 st. vinny's (1 mint)

cheers!

:shock:
10 char.

xr3fgb
03-17-2008, 02:44 PM
Cool racket! My all time favorite, in fact.

If you find it does not meet your expectations, I'd be happy to buy it from you; I still use them in tournament play and am always looking for them. Thanks!

Hi, retrowagen. Sure thing, I'll let you know if I ever want to get rid of it. By the way, what kind of string setup do you prefer with the elite pro?

retrowagen
03-17-2008, 03:08 PM
I particularly like Wilson NXT 16 gauge or Babolat Attraction 16 gauge, strung at 60 pounds, in my Elite Pros. If you're new to the racket, I'd recommend starting your string tension at 56 pounds, and deciding in your following string job whether you'd like the racket to play more flexy/soft/arm friendly/powerful (hence, lower the tension further), or stiffer/less powerful/with more control (hence, string it up towards 60 like me). I take a very long swing on either side, so I need all the control I can get, since I generate all the power.

Are the white plastic grommets all cracked up to smithereens?

xr3fgb
03-17-2008, 03:27 PM
Hi, retrowagen,

There is considerable wear and tear on the white plastic grommets, yes, but could probably withstand another stringing. I would prefer to replace the grommets and I've read somewhere on this board that the prestige grommets will fit. Is that true?

Thanks for the tip on the strings.

retrowagen
03-17-2008, 03:33 PM
read up here: http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?p=1969200&highlight=elite+pro#post1969200
and here: http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showpost.php?p=1976701&postcount=278

yourmom08
03-17-2008, 04:04 PM
my boss at the club i work at gives rackets by the dozens to my high school coach. Most of them she gives for free but ones worth any money (some liquidmetals, various ncodes, etc.) she puts a price tag on and my coach sells them to kids on the team and gives the money to her. My boss gets some rackets sold via my coach and my coach gets some old rackets to give to kids who don't have one. Anyway i was running some errand for my coach and started looking through the rackets and spotted a leather grip. Pulled out a PS Tour 95 and asked how much thinking it was going to be one that would cost me. My coach said free. Sweet deal for me i had been thinking about buying a PS Tour of the auction site or something anyway.

tennis_nerd22
03-17-2008, 04:10 PM
If you keep this up, Bud, you're going to set a record for number of times to 'not get it' in one night.

no your record is untouchable

hrstrat57
03-17-2008, 04:19 PM
st vincent ps 85

$7

Bottle Rocket
03-17-2008, 04:45 PM
Prince Original Graphite 100 Longbody 28", couldn't believe they were only asking $20!! Looked almost brand new.

Seems like a few of us have found POG's... My neighborhood was having a garage sale, so I was going around with the intent on buying some cheap wooden rackets and possibly some older classics.

I found a POG, the version without grommets, in great condition for $10. I played with it for months before "letting it go" on a serve and cracking the frame. I love the stick and wish I could find the same version somewhere.

Interestingly, I bought a Mazda Miata from the same garage sale. If I had met my wife there, all my dreams could have come true on the same day. Unfortunately, all I have now is the broken POG. The guy did have a Wilson T2000 he tried to talk me into, but for some reason I didn't take it.

I also found a Pro Kennex Golden Ace for $5 and a whole bunch of woodies, including a few Jack Kramers. Most of the wood rackets cost me a dollar.

ohhgourami
03-17-2008, 07:33 PM
PSC! at least my friend found them and bought a pair and lucky gave me one!

i want to buy the other one off of him since he doesnt even use it. and he told me something that almost made me club him in a nuts. "im going to spray paint this racquet"

gsquicksilver
03-18-2008, 07:32 AM
a buddy of mine picked up two Wilson Pro Staff 85s, think he paid $10 for both. This was about 8 years ago and he still uses the sticks.

lol, sounds like me :)

SOY78
03-18-2008, 07:59 AM
Bought a Michael Chang POG Longbody MP for 17.00 at a used sporting goods store, I'll post some pics later. It was the easiest racquet to stiring because of the really open string pattern.

tennis_hand
03-18-2008, 08:06 AM
bought my Prostaff 6.0 95 from another guy. it is in very good quality, no paint chip at all, except the scratches on top of the banner.

i have used it for more than 1 year and still using it.

yourmom08
03-18-2008, 08:52 AM
got a michael chang longbody and a head graphite edge as well as a brand new PS 6.1 stretch and 2 also brand new prince precision graphite 640s i can get my coach to get rid of for probably 75 bucks for all 4.

ChocolatePie
03-18-2008, 02:13 PM
Where's a good place to look for these bargains?

VGP
03-18-2008, 02:16 PM
As the title implies, garage sales and thrift stores.

Also, used sporting goods shops, estate sales, flea markets, craigslist, e-bay (if the seller's got an auction that's vague), various tennis people trying to unload their "junk."

mistapooh
03-18-2008, 02:33 PM
Prince Spectrum Comp 90 for about 3 dollars from an antique store, with original grip.

Cup8489
03-18-2008, 09:06 PM
my best was last year at goodwill. the local store was having it's summer sale (sale on handmedowns? did they mean steal?), and i came across a racquet bag, the old 12pack from TW.

i looked inside, and i found 3 (!) grommetless POG's (the version w/out), 2 O3 MP's, 2 Ncode Tour 90's, and 4 (!!) FXP Prestige Mids.

the pricetag on the bag was 25 bucks, and i couldnt find any tags on the frames. i wanted the fxp's the most, so i took those up to the register and asked what they wanted for it. the manager asked me if they were from the TW bag, and i said yes. he said that the price of all frames was included in the price of the bag. I nearly crapped my pants at that statement.

especially b/c the frames in the worst shape, the POG's, were at least a 7/10. all others were at least 8.5/10.

It really was a steal, i kid you not.

CaveMan
03-25-2008, 12:24 AM
well dang.......i guess i'll be hitting up goodwill tomorrow.

xr3fgb
04-03-2008, 08:15 AM
More good luck for me at Goodwill. Purchased a 6.5/10 condition Donnay Graphite Borg for $4.99 yesterday! I knew this would be the right time of year for racket hunting at thrift stores! :cool:

bigfoot910
04-03-2008, 09:17 AM
A POG Oversize for $15 in near mint condition... I've never really liked it so took it to a club and sold it for $90.
I'd say a pretty good investment...

xr3fgb
04-03-2008, 09:20 AM
A POG Oversize for $15 in near mint condition... I've never really liked it so took it to a club and sold it for $90.
I'd say a pretty good investment...

Hi, bigfoot,

Nice find--where did you get it? Garage sale? You had a pretty good margin, selling it for $90; though, I have a hunch you could've sold it for over $100 elsewhere. I think it's a pretty well sought-after racquet.