PDA

View Full Version : Two handed BH with 90inch(K90)

Robert Johnson
01-27-2008, 01:16 AM
Hi all,

I'm demoing a K90 at the mo. Forehand/serve/volleys feel great, but coming from a 95inch the two handed backhand feels not so good (but is improving).

My question is, is the 90ich head best suited to a one hander, and would i be better off sticking to a 95inch, or is it a case of grooving it in over time?

Be interested to know how many 90inch (and particular K90 users) have two handers and how it works for them.

Cheers
rob

anirut
01-27-2008, 01:43 AM
Well, all it takes is ... practice.

My cousin plays a 95, has 2HBH, and has no problem at all playing a 90. Probably because we started in the days of wood, so we have no problem playing small heads.

adams_1
01-27-2008, 01:51 AM
Maybe Jolly can tell you what he thinks. I hear he has one or two 90s :lol:

Lendl
01-27-2008, 04:39 AM
I use the K90 and use a two-handed BH and it is by far by best shot so practice is all it takes to get used to it.

herosol
01-27-2008, 07:32 AM
it's good. the grip is a bit short for my taste, but very solid.

quest01
01-27-2008, 08:26 AM
If your backhand feels better with the K95 then there really is no point in changing.

TsongaBonga
01-27-2008, 08:32 AM
If every other shot has improved with the K-90, then I guess it's worth spending just a little more time practicing that back-hand.

J011yroger
01-27-2008, 09:29 AM
Maybe Jolly can tell you what he thinks. I hear he has one or two 90s :lol:

Ya I do ok with the 90 for my 2hbh.

J

jazar
01-27-2008, 01:40 PM
i always feel a single hander feels (and, though less important, looks) better when using a 90sq inch

sureshs
01-27-2008, 01:55 PM
Let us put it this way - hardly any pro uses a K90, and the one guy who uses it has a one-handed backhand, and lost to a guy with a bigger racquet using a two-handed backhand.

bluescreen
01-27-2008, 03:47 PM
if u have proper technique u will have no problem hitting a 2hbh with a k90. i tried a 1hander and 2hander with the k90 and found a 1hbh to be easier to hit, but a 2hbh is still very much playable.

dacrymn
01-27-2008, 03:53 PM
Nothing to do with it.

Some people hit better with the 90 sq in. headsize. I think that tells you that it involves something else. Maybe the weight?

FraNkcn
01-27-2008, 09:17 PM
I have an n90 and am hitting a 2hbh with it right now. Its fine. I actually sometimes find it harder to hit the 1hbh with it although it could be because my technique is off.

Question: In general why is it that so many people say a smaller head size is "made" for a 1hbh? I would think its easier with a bigger head...

J011yroger
01-28-2008, 03:25 AM
Question: In general why is it that so many people say a smaller head size is "made" for a 1hbh? I would think its easier with a bigger head...

Because they want to be like the players of old, or they want to be like Fed and use a 1hbh and a mid.

So they say that mids are better for 1hbhs, when in reality you can hit any shot with any racquet. Some prefer one hand, some prefer two, some prefer mids, some mps, some os.

To say that mids are made for one handers and not as good for two is just silly.

J

VikingSamurai
01-28-2008, 04:06 AM
Well I just moved from a mid to a mid+ and I hit a 1HBH.. To say that they want to be like players of old is just silly.. I am 33, I started with a wood frame, then my second frame was an aluminium Sfida frame, and then I went to a Wilson Pro Select 85, and then the Puma Boris Becker Super.. I never hit with anything over 95 until less than a year ago.. My latest frame was the Head LM Prestige mid, and now I use the Head MG Prestige mid+.. So to say that some of us are try-hards is kinda dumb.. I didn't have much of a choice growing up in the 80's and 90's, because in those days 90 inches was big!

FraNkcn
01-28-2008, 10:05 AM
I really never noticed any difference when hitting with either 2hbh or 1hbh on any of the mids. I guess its just that some people have off forms????

The coolest racquet I've seen was that Arthur Ashe HEAD competition racquet. that thing was like 40 sq. in. or something.

Robert Johnson
01-28-2008, 11:54 AM
If your backhand feels better with the K95 then there really is no point in changing.

Sorry, the racket i was using was my trusty pro staff classic (95). I just wanted to upgrade at long last and out of the K90 and K95, the 90 felt more natural in the hand. I've also read on here that the K90 on the whole is a better frame if you have the game for it.

I was playing tonight and again noticed improvement on the two hander(the slice was wicked also), so im very happy with it.

Thanks for the comments as its good to hear it works for others as well.

On a side note, are their many pro players who play with a 90inch and hit with two hands? Just curious, as the only one who stood out for me was Courier (if he in fact used a 90).

VikingSamurai
01-28-2008, 12:16 PM
Sorry, the racket i was using was my trusty pro staff classic (95). I just wanted to upgrade at long last and out of the K90 and K95, the 90 felt more natural in the hand. I've also read on here that the K90 on the whole is a better frame if you have the game for it.

I was playing tonight and again noticed improvement on the two hander(the slice was wicked also), so im very happy with it.

Thanks for the comments as its good to hear it works for others as well.

On a side note, are their many pro players who play with a 90inch and hit with two hands? Just curious, as the only one who stood out for me was Courier (if he in fact used a 90).

Happy you found something that works.. And don't worry about alot of people on here that think you are a Roger try hard for using the K-90. Or that you have to be a professional to use it.. Because if that is the case, then I was a professional at 14 using my 85inch frames... ;)

If you are happy with it and you are hitting well, then stick with it and enjoy it..

little_e
01-28-2008, 12:34 PM
To the OP meet me at the Crossroads and I'll make a deal with you for an otherworldly two hander. Midnight at the Crossroads.

OnyxZ28
01-28-2008, 12:39 PM
To the OP meet me at the Crossroads and I'll make a deal with you for an otherworldly two hander. Midnight at the Crossroads.

Brilliant!

JackSkellington
01-28-2008, 12:40 PM
This is the same as asking whether a prestige 93 is best suited for a one hander yet there seem to be a staggering amount of players who use a two hander

FraNkcn
01-28-2008, 06:01 PM
So....just how many of you K90 // N90'ers out there use a 2HBH ? ? ? I am curious as well to know. ^^

J011yroger
01-28-2008, 06:31 PM
So....just how many of you K90 // N90'ers out there use a 2HBH ? ? ? I am curious as well to know. ^^

I do.

J

Klatu Verata Necktie
01-28-2008, 06:35 PM
I do.

J

Me too. I also use a 2HBH when using my Prestige Classics and V-Engine Mid. Come to think of it, I use a 2HBH when playing with any of my racquets ;)

J011yroger
01-28-2008, 06:46 PM
Me too. I also use a 2HBH when using my Prestige Classics and V-Engine Mid. Come to think of it, I use a 2HBH when playing with any of my racquets ;)

One hander is usefull in drunken dubs so that you need not put your beer in your pocket to return.

But then again, you could just pound the beer, return serve, then grab another when it was time to play the net again.

J

NoBadMojo
01-28-2008, 07:14 PM
One hander is usefull in drunken dubs so that you need not put your beer in your pocket to return.

But then again, you could just pound the beer, return serve, then grab another when it was time to play the net again.

J

Totally unecessary...all one needs is one of those helmet type devices with the two can holders and twin syphon tubes, and you can swill beer whilst playing...where it helps if you have one hander, is if you want to smoke while playing ......<which i've done before>.

But to answer the question, I think it largely depends upon what type of two hander you have..if abrupt like Nadal, I'm afraid the 90's are particularly absurd to use...even Nadal needs all of his 100 headsize

J011yroger
01-28-2008, 07:25 PM
Totally unecessary...all one needs is one of those helmet type devices with the two can holders and twin syphon tubes, and you can swill beer whilst playing...where it helps if you have one hander, is if you want to smoke while playing ......<which i've done before>.

We discussed that, and I also think that it would be a good training device to keep your head still through the stroke. I mean, missing a shot is one thing, but spilling your beer is a whole nother realm of travesty.

J

quest01
01-28-2008, 10:35 PM
But to answer the question, I think it largely depends upon what type of two hander you have..if abrupt like Nadal, I'm afraid the 90's are particularly absurd to use...even Nadal needs all of his 100 headsize

Probably about 95% of people who use a 2 handed backhand would most likely hit this shot better with a 100 square inch racket opposed to a 90 square inch racket. If there was a study of 5000 people who play tennis ranging from 4.0-5.0 who all use 2 handed backhands and they compared which headsize racket they hit this shot better with between a 90 square inch racket and a 100 square inch racket probably 95% would choose the 100 square inch racket in terms of hitting a 2 handed backhand.

J011yroger
01-29-2008, 03:18 AM
Probably about 95% of people who use a 2 handed backhand would most likely hit this shot better with a 100 square inch racket opposed to a 90 square inch racket. If there was a study of 5000 people who play tennis ranging from 4.0-5.0 who all use 2 handed backhands and they compared which headsize racket they hit this shot better with between a 90 square inch racket and a 100 square inch racket probably 95% would choose the 100 square inch racket in terms of hitting a 2 handed backhand.

Would you say the same was true for a 1 hander?

J

quest01
01-29-2008, 08:38 AM
Would you say the same was true for a 1 hander?

J

I don't think so. There are quite a few people including pros such as Gasquet and Youhzny who use a 100 square inch racket who hit a one handed backhand. I think if they did the same study of 5000 people who use a one hander more people would hit better with the 100 square inch racket opposed to the 90. However if they compared a 100 to a 95 I think the percentages would be much closer.

J011yroger
01-29-2008, 02:11 PM
I don't think so. There are quite a few people including pros such as Gasquet and Youhzny who use a 100 square inch racket who hit a one handed backhand. I think if they did the same study of 5000 people who use a one hander more people would hit better with the 100 square inch racket opposed to the 90. However if they compared a 100 to a 95 I think the percentages would be much closer.

I'm sorry, not trying to be argumentitive, just wanna know your thinking.

Are you agreeing with my thoughts that most 1 handers and two handers would both hit better backhands with a 100" frame than a 90" frame?

Or are you saying that there is something different about the strokes that makes the smaller head more suitable to the one hander?

If so, what is the difference in the stroke which accounts for this?

Is it simply topspin players vs. flat players or one hand as opposed to two?

J

FraNkcn
01-29-2008, 03:09 PM
Wouldn't hitting a 1HBH with a bigger head size make the chance of twisting your racquet increase more?? Thus, it causes unwanted uncomfort on mishits.

Or that's the new perspective my friend has told me. I'm starting to want to learn how to do a 1HBH just to add to my repetoire of tennis skills. Not to mention the "cool" factor. But the 2HBH also gets the job done, and the Djoker makes it look pretty neat when he stretches almost doing splits and hits a two hander back. Also, isn't Djoker using a 93 sq.in head? Are the differences between a 93 vs 90 pretty noticeable or not??

J011yroger
01-29-2008, 03:24 PM
Wouldn't hitting a 1HBH with a bigger head size make the chance of twisting your racquet increase more?? Thus, it causes unwanted uncomfort on mishits.

Larger headsizes have bigger sweetspots and are more forgiving on mishits.

Which is more uncomfortable, hitting outside the sweet spot on a larger frame, or hitting the frame itself on a smaller frame?

Hitting the sweet spot on a larger frame, or hitting outside the sweetspot on a smaller frame?

If you can reliably hit the middle of a mid, you can hit the middle of a MP or an OS.

J

Ultra2HolyGrail
01-29-2008, 03:34 PM
Smaller head frame does seem to be better for the one hander. And really the 85-90 is a serve and volley frame.. It is incredible how good fed is at the baseline with a 90 though. I definately think most two handers would kick butt much more with a extended lenth, 27.25 perfect- 95-100in frame.. Atleast it was for me, but i could hit some nice passing shots with the 85.. But my power baseline game went in the toilet.

zhanny
01-29-2008, 03:51 PM
really want to learn 1hbh just to use the 6.1 90 lol

Silent
01-29-2008, 04:29 PM

Hewitt used to until very recently.

FraNkcn
01-29-2008, 04:45 PM
Larger headsizes have bigger sweetspots and are more forgiving on mishits.

Which is more uncomfortable, hitting outside the sweet spot on a larger frame, or hitting the frame itself on a smaller frame?

Hitting the sweet spot on a larger frame, or hitting outside the sweetspot on a smaller frame?

If you can reliably hit the middle of a mid, you can hit the middle of a MP or an OS.

J

All good points taken to mind. I guess using my friends view was kind of wrong.. haha. I guess I'll just have to keep practicing both variations of the backhand and see what is working more. I feel more safe with the 2hbh because I've been palying with it for the longest time, from my days with the nBlade MP.

Just a quick question I hope people have picked up. But...is there any nominal difference in hitting a 93'' versus a 90''. ??

bp_2
01-29-2008, 05:50 PM
I have always used a two-handed backhand. I find the difference between the 90 and 95 to be negligible and have no affect on my strokes. I would say just stick with what you've always used. If that doesn't work then maybe changing headsizes isn't a sound decision. If adjusting to the new frame just takes time and will improve your game in the future then stick to it! Good luck.

J011yroger
01-29-2008, 08:30 PM
I guess I'll just have to keep practicing both variations of the backhand and see what is working more.

What are you hoping to accomplish by going back and forth between the one hander and the two instead of choosing one or the other?

J

J011yroger
01-29-2008, 08:31 PM
Just a quick question I hope people have picked up. But...is there any nominal difference in hitting a 93'' versus a 90''. ??

Eh, not really. Especially since a head 93 is 89.5 by the way wilsons are measured.

J

Ultra2HolyGrail
01-29-2008, 08:36 PM
Eh, not really. Especially since a head 93 is 89.5 by the way wilsons are measured.

J

It's still a bigger head size.. And a boost to a two hander for sure.

J011yroger
01-29-2008, 08:41 PM
It's still a bigger head size.. And a boost to a two hander for sure.

Why?

Not trying to be argumentitive, just that scads of people say that bigger headed racquets are better for 2 handers without saying what the difference is in the stroke that makes the larger headsize a more valuble asset.

What is different about the two hander that makes it more suited to midplus frames in your opinion.

I am certainly of the mind that a certain headsize is not more suited to one hand or two. Many disagree, but few put forth logical reasoning for it.

J

Ultra2HolyGrail
01-29-2008, 09:02 PM
Power. It's going to be much tougher to pound the ball with a 85-90.. Easier for a one hander because of racquet head speed. A good two hander will be good regardless, but you should notice a pretty big difference in power, not drastically if it's a prestige vs k90 but noticeable difference. Bigger sweetspot also.

FraNkcn
01-29-2008, 10:31 PM
Just want to add more variety into my game I guess. My friend tells me that its good to be able to do that running one hander :). But you are right, I shouldn't dawdle and waste time going between both. I'm primarily hitting with a 2HBH but just like I said, and probably most people would agree, it wouldn't hurt for a 2HBH to also learn the 1HBH for added variety and more choices. ^^

FraNkcn
01-29-2008, 10:41 PM
Power. It's going to be much tougher to pound the ball with a 85-90.. Easier for a one hander because of racquet head speed. A good two hander will be good regardless, but you should notice a pretty big difference in power, not drastically if it's a prestige vs k90 but noticeable difference. Bigger sweetspot also.

I still can't see it that way because I still think that with a smaller head size you can still whip it around pretty fast with two hands. Also shouldn't two hands be generating a lot more power already than just one hand? And thus, it should imply that two hands have generated more racquet head speed than a 1 hander?? Or is my reasoning all wrong still?? I just don't see (similar to Jolly) Why a small head 90 - 93sp.in. why still so many people say that its suited for a 1hbh. Any more clarity you or anyone here on this forum can make?? Examples? thanks and sorry if my noobness astonds anyone here. -__-;;

FraNkcn
01-29-2008, 10:42 PM
astounds* I hate how I can't edit my own posts..... -_________________-;;

Ultra2HolyGrail
01-29-2008, 11:44 PM
I still can't see it that way because I still think that with a smaller head size you can still whip it around pretty fast with two hands. Also shouldn't two hands be generating a lot more power already than just one hand? And thus, it should imply that two hands have generated more racquet head speed than a 1 hander?? Or is my reasoning all wrong still?? I just don't see (similar to Jolly) Why a small head 90 - 93sp.in. why still so many people say that its suited for a 1hbh.

Try to imagine agassi-chang with a pro staff 85. They probably would not be as good if they were using that racquet wouldnt you say? Oversize racquets do seem better suited to the baseline game. Not necessarily 107in racquet, but i would say 93in minimum.

Ultra2HolyGrail
01-30-2008, 12:07 AM
Also shouldn't two hands be generating a lot more power already than just one hand? And thus, it should imply that two hands have generated more racquet head speed than a 1 hander

The one hander is more powerful technically. Try it yourself and swing as hard as you can with one arm compared to two on the backhand.. The two generates enough to get the job done and usally more consistent than a one hander. All out power still goes to the one hander..But can they get it in ? :)

Robert Johnson
01-30-2008, 01:27 AM
Try to imagine agassi-chang with a pro staff 85. They probably would not be as good if they were using that racquet wouldnt you say? Oversize racquets do seem better suited to the baseline game. Not necessarily 107in racquet, but i would say 93in minimum.

Would of been interesting to see Agassi and Sampras switching rackets for one match.:)

Would one player of been at a more disadvantage than the other?

It's just interesting that very few (courier and hewitt have been mentioned) modern tour players use a 2 hander with a 90. I agree with you jollyroger in that its hard to see a reason for it.

jmverdugo
01-30-2008, 03:35 AM
It's just interesting that very few (courier and hewitt have been mentioned) modern tour players use a 2 hander with a 90. I agree with you jollyroger in that its hard to see a reason for it.

There are very few players that use a OHBH and a 90 inch reacket too. I would say is about the same ratio. IMO the headsize has nothing to do with how many hands you use on your BH, if you use a THBH and get use to small heads then it wont be any difference, same thing goes to OHBH. If you need a bigger headsize for your BH then probably you will need it to for your FH.

FraNkcn
01-30-2008, 06:38 AM
I can see that the 1HBH has more power..but as to why the 90'' is more well suited for a 1hbh I still can't understand // feel the difference.

Probably is best to put it as Jolly said, if you have the form to hit it, you can, if not then its probably not the right stick for you. But the question still haunts me I guess I must accept some valid answers.! Anyone else with a take on why 90's are more suited to 1HBH???

Klatu Verata Necktie
01-30-2008, 08:22 AM
Would of been interesting to see Agassi and Sampras switching rackets for one match.:)

Great question! I'd like to see Agassi serve and volley with Pete's PS85.

quest01
01-30-2008, 08:25 AM
I can see that the 1HBH has more power..but as to why the 90'' is more well suited for a 1hbh I still can't understand // feel the difference.

Probably is best to put it as Jolly said, if you have the form to hit it, you can, if not then its probably not the right stick for you. But the question still haunts me I guess I must accept some valid answers.! Anyone else with a take on why 90's are more suited to 1HBH???

I don't think a 90 is suited more toward a one handed backhand. I think more people can hit a one hander and two hander better with a 100 square inch racket opposed to a 90 square inch racket. A 90 square inch racket has a tiny sweetspot. I own a 90 and 100 square inch racket and I only use the K90 against players who are much lower then me to try to even it out a little bit.

Seacoast Stringer
01-30-2008, 08:25 AM

For some reason for me, it is psychological. I feel as though (especially on returns) a slightly bigger headsize/sweetspot assists me with my 2HBH. It doesn't make a lot of sense, but I can feel the difference.

Ultra2HolyGrail
01-30-2008, 09:10 AM

Yup..Agassi would have huge disadvantage.

Ultra2HolyGrail
01-30-2008, 09:24 AM
90 and 100 square inch racket and I only use the K90 against players who are much lower then me to try to even it out a little bit.

I've also used both and in between. My baseline game was alot more powerful compared to the 85-90 with a 100in and a 95in. I've also seen a similar player switch to a 85 that used to play with a hypercarbon tweener 95 (pounding the ball from the baseline) to just so so results with the 85.. Huge difference in power..

bcast66
01-30-2008, 05:37 PM
I have an n90 and am hitting a 2hbh with it right now. Its fine. I actually sometimes find it harder to hit the 1hbh with it although it could be because my technique is off.

less rotation of racquet. its easier to hold because it is firmer less mass. and 1 handed backhands are usually more powerful than most forehands if used correctly just because natural rotation.

FraNkcn
01-30-2008, 10:03 PM
less rotation of racquet. its easier to hold because it is firmer less mass. and 1 handed backhands are usually more powerful than most forehands if used correctly just because natural rotation.

But would you agree that overall, really a 90 could really either be well suited for a 2hbh and a 1hbh, just matter of preference really and what the player is used to???

Robert Johnson
03-30-2008, 07:10 AM

HA HA:)

Nice one. I was just digging this thread up for the other guy asking the same question and must of missed this quote.:)