PDA

View Full Version : Calling 4 Haerdalis Redondo/nFury MP users

toganitu
01-27-2008, 08:34 AM
Hi Haerdalis and owners of both nfury MP+Redondo MP.

I bought the Wilson nfury MP following your great advice from my 1 year old post (almost to the day) for my golfer elbow. I just also found out that you own a Redondo MP as well. What's your setup for both? How will you compare them? Is there way to make them play kind of similar (but each still retains their main property i.e. touch, control). My current setup for both throw my timing and stroke completely off when I switch from Redondo to nfury. Redondo is superior at net and backhand slide but nfury owns the rest.

Here are my current setup.
nfury MP: add 1 3/4 oz = 1 1/2 in the handle + 1/4 share between 12 o'clock and right above the grip). This setup yields incredible feel and control (at 60 lbs).
Redondo MP at 57 lbs has great control and very little to no feel (boardy!).
I used Enduro Pro (Polyester) for main and OG Goosen sheep 18G (synthetic gut) for cross.

The temperature was in the 40's degree Farenh. (@7-9 degree Celsius)

Any pointer are welcomed.

Thanks, Tony.

PS: I originally listed this post in the Redondo club thread but it got burried so I relist for better exposure.

Alafter
01-27-2008, 08:48 AM
i would kill a puppy to demo the nfury.

meowmix
01-27-2008, 09:35 AM
i would kill a puppy to demo the nfury.

Um... Alafter, bit extreme? :???: I'm pretty sure that if you go to your local pro shop they'd let you try it.

I'm not sure what the big hype is. In stock form, it's not that great...

haerdalis
01-27-2008, 01:19 PM
In stock form the nFury is weird. But with some added weight it becomes a very comfortable racquet with loads of flex and good control.
I dont use the nFury as my main stick anymore but when I did use it I added about 40 grams to the handle and 20 to the head. It had a balance of about 10 points HL. This played very well for me on everything except serve.

matchmaker
01-27-2008, 02:45 PM
Hi,

I owned an nFury and still own a Redondo MP.

The nFury had to be leaded up by adding about 50 grams distributed over the handle and 9 to 11/1 to 3 o' clock on the frame. If not you can not hit any decent ball with that frame. Especially slices or volleys will just drop dead due to a lack of weight. After that it seamed to be fine. Remember stringing it at 58lbs with Wilson Enduro Pro (= polyester).

The Redondo MP I own is strung at 60lbs with Wilson Sensation (a multifilament string). I have also added 10 gr. of lead at 3 and 9 o' clock for more plough through.

IMO the problem you experience with the Redondo might be due to string choice. You may want to try it out with a full multifilament string setup. It is quite similar to a leaded up nFury I'd say. I have the feeling that a transition between the two frames should be quite seamless if you find the right string combination for you.

Hope this is of some help.

toganitu
01-27-2008, 08:14 PM
Hi,

Thanks everyone.

Haerdalis - Does your redondo MP play kind of similar to your nFury MP? If it is then what's your Redondo setup?

MatchMaker - thanks for the pointer, I will try your setup with my Redondo. After another outing with my Redondo I was ready to give it up. It appears that the nFury has much much bigger sweetspot than the Redondo, doesn't it?

Meowmix - in stock form, my wrist hurt after 30 minutes of play with the nFury MP. So in stock form, it was really sub-par as you said. But it is a completely different racket when customized. Wonder why Wilson did not come out with a nfury similar to my customized one?

Alafter - Are you still here or already enjoying the sunshine in the tropic?

Have a great week.
Tony.

anirut
01-27-2008, 08:28 PM
Tony, have you read my reponse to your needs in the Redondo thread?

Anyhow, I'd agree with matchmaker about using multi in the RedMP to help ease your elbow. You may loose some feel from using multi, but, hey, health comes first!

Willietan
01-28-2008, 03:35 AM
Hi all,

I'm sorry to actually "hijack" this thread but please bare with me!
Well, just picked up tennis half a year ago, currently using N-Fury MP stock.
I'm only about 2.5-3.0 and I kinda felt that the racquet is really underpowered and light. Hard to put off POWER balls. I always had to swing v fast.

Seems like many ppl customise their racquet but I know nuts about this... lead tape should be just a "attach-to-racquet" right? How about those weight that you guys put in Handle.. how to do so?

As for set up... yea.. there's many different variety online... not sure which is prefer though.

Should I just get a new racquet ( heavier full swing ones), or should I try customising my Nfury MP?

Sorry for this newbie question.

toganitu
01-28-2008, 01:54 PM
ANIRUT: message read. But it won't help me because my current tension is only 57lbs. If I increase it further, it will only make it more boardy. I will try try just the OG Sheep at maybe 55 lbs and see how it goes. But this will probably be the last racket I will buy for a long time. Within one year I have bought @ 20 frames including some oldies like Head Prestige Tour, POG OS, RDX500MP and 2 black beauties: Dunlop Max 200G Pro and Wimbledon Tradition. At first it was fun but I am getting leery of it now. Some frame I will just hit for 30 minutes and never touch it again. Tennis season is coming soon and I want to settle down on 1 frame. I probably settle on the nfury MP with maybe RDS 002 on double. However I would like to try out the Volkl tour 10 VE-engine first.

Hi WillieTan,

You can use the link below for racket customization:
http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/LC/Customizing/customize.html

However you may run into problems with the nFury MP since the hollow handle has 4 holes instead of 2 as show in the pictures. And they are tiny for the fishing weight. You would have hard time to squeeze the weight in it. Here is what I did:

Pop the trap door at the bottom of the racket. There should be a groove just use a sharp object and pop it out.

1st hole: I insert a 5 1/2 inches long with 5/16 hex head (... or 5/8) screw. I wrapped the screw tightly in a foam so it won't move. This screw weight about 1 oz. ... I have to saw part of its head to allow the trap door to close.

2nd and 3rd hole: I tie 2 x 1/4 oz fishing lead together using tennis string. Leaving about 2 inches of string between the weight. I insert 1 on each hole. Of course I have inserted lots cotton ball in the handle to block the holes and prevent the weight from shifting. The string helps me to pull the weight out if it was not SQUEEZED in properly. You have to use a screw driver to force the weight in.
Make sure that you PADDED all object very well to prevent them from moving around at ball impact. BTW= The holes don't even have the same size. My fourth one is so tiny I can't squeeze any significant fishing lead in.

Then I added lead tape on top of the grip and and 12 o'clock. I guess the tape stretches from 1 to 11 or even longer depends on your liking. I just tape multiple layer of tape around on top of the grip. My customization took me quite a bit of time ( a week or more) - mostly trial and error. It's a pain in the neck but exhilirating when you found the right combination.

This should increase feel and stability to the racket but inherently it is still a very low powered racket. I am surprised that you bought this racket instead of the Oversize (for a beginner I mean). The TW spec description was not accurate for this racket -
It was: Power level: low-medium and Swing speed: Moderate-fast. The shoulbe only the OS spec. It think some members have caught the errors but TW never got around to change it THEN the racket got discontinued ....

Hope it helps.
Tony.

PS: But if you want to give it up for another racket - How about a trade?

anirut
01-28-2008, 04:32 PM
Tony, the Volkl 10VE is one beautiful racket, I can tell you that.

In fact, you may like it better than the Redondo due the fiberglass, as that mutes the rawness of graphite. If you get one, don't go beyond 55 lbs, ever. I have my 10VE MID at 53. Smooth. Just make sure you have a good form to play it.

Actually, you know, the Redondo made me feel more comfortable playing the 10VE. Don't know why. Probably because both are true players' sticks and since I really enjoyed the Redondo, my legs started moving more, such that I now find playing the 10VE even easier than before.

Seriously, get a 10VE, mid or mid plus. It'll be one stick that you cannot regret. (Not just won't regret, but you cannot regret.)

Cheers!!

toganitu
01-29-2008, 01:39 PM
WillieTan,

If you are interested in a trade email me.

Tony
eustngu@y a h o o . c o m

Willietan
01-29-2008, 10:12 PM
Thanks for advices.

I'm living in Singapore and hence trading might be some hussle. Moreover, I've yet to decide to customise my racq or get a new one (which I have no idea which to go for either!)..

It's cracking my brain up:(side down!