PDA

View Full Version : Federer qualifying for Masters Cup.

Matt H.
03-21-2004, 07:20 PM
with 372 points, AND holding the austrailian open title, i believe he's mathmatically qualified for the Masters Cup already. Grand Slam title holders only have to stay inside the top 20 of the champions race to qualify. However, trying to think back to last year, how many points did the #8 have?

This is really starting to look like Agassi from 2001. Clean sweep in the spring, winning AO, IW, and Miami.

PureCarlosMoyaDrive
03-21-2004, 08:04 PM
Matt, it actually has to be the highest ranked grand slam winner outside the top 7 unless they are all in the top 8. Last year, the top 4 guys had won slams, so it didn't apply. Champions race last year, #8 was Nalbandian, he had like 420 or so, #9 Philippoussis had about 320 though. I think he's in the masters for sure by now.

edge
03-21-2004, 08:05 PM
Funny thing, Fedexp doesn't have a coach, just brings his girlfriend and kicks everybody's butt. Agassi brings his entourage, most have a coach. Fedexp almost seems whimsical, makiing it all seem so easy.

@wright
03-21-2004, 08:11 PM
I think FedEx brings the magic, so the coach is unnecessary. If he wasn't bringing his girl(who I'm sure is not cheap to keep happy), he'd be keeping nearly ALL of his prize money. BTW, does anyone see not going deep at Roland Garros? He's tough to bet against right now. It almost seems like the only people who can stop Federer are God and Federer.

Greg
03-21-2004, 08:32 PM
Federer has the strength of 10 bears that have the strength of 20 bears.

jarrett
03-21-2004, 09:12 PM
Dudes , chill out !!!!!!!!!!!! He is in the zone right now and this state, as magic as it is, won't last for eternity because he is a Human... and it is norma after all l!!!!! He is gonna get tired physically and mentally in the next weeks... Even though he is above everybody right now, he wil loose again a fresher player than him...

jarrett
03-21-2004, 09:13 PM
Dudes , chill out !!!!!!!!!!!! He is in the zone right now and this state, as magic as it is, won't last for eternity because he is a Human... and it is normal after all l!!!!! He is gonna get tired physically and mentally in the next weeks... Even though he is above everybody right now, he wil loose against a fresher player than him...

sliceroni
03-22-2004, 05:35 AM
Hmm. It took Sampras 6 years to get physically and mentally tired. Federer-more talent, less effort, less stress on the body, all-court game. I'd say potentially longer than 6 years.

Rabbit
03-22-2004, 05:40 AM
Federer is a throw back in more than just his game. Prior to Lendl, players didn't have coaches by and large. Connors worked with several people, but his mentor was always his mother. The whole coach thing started up toward the end of Nastase's career. He had a name for players who had coaches, I shant repeat it here. I think it's great that Federer has the wherewithall to just go out and play without minions that others bring along. He'll also net more money that way. :idea:

edge
03-22-2004, 05:47 AM
Yeah, and the Dude fired IMG last year...he is a hero to all. Just traveling the world with his honey, kicking butt. He could be linvin' in a VW bus and win for all the talent that he has. Forget Roddick, he should have a reality tour.

10s
03-22-2004, 07:08 AM
Federer has the strength of 10 bears that have the strength of 20 bears.

^unfunny moron

Shaolin
03-22-2004, 08:27 AM
Wow, and you just crack me up ALL THE TIME, 10s.

Jonas
03-22-2004, 11:34 AM
I'm kind of with Awright on this one, as I don't see Federer doing so well in the clay court season. He may final or even win a master's series which is great, but i think the 16's will be as far as he will get. I have no logic behind what i just said. He does look about as dominant as anyone i have ever seen and has to come down sooner or later. It seems like the clay court season would be the opportune time for his fall. I will go ahead and put my early french bid on coria.

Fee
03-22-2004, 12:18 PM
Federer won't win Miami, the trophy is too nice looking...

Max G.
03-22-2004, 04:15 PM
It would be interesting to see how long Federer stays dominant, and whether he manages to stay dominant on clay. Could, say, Coria or Ferrero take him out? Could he lose to a lower-ranked guy having a great day?

As for six-year dominance - I don't think we can judge that yet. I don't think anyone can ever judge. How can you tell when he'll go through an erratic streak, or get injured and, or something. He's definitely on track for plenty more slams - but will it be 5 or 10? Or 15?

Ballmachine
03-22-2004, 06:21 PM
Just to add my two cents, Pete had seven years of dominance. He won Wimbledon and the Masters Cup in 1999, and several titles during the summer over Andre Agassi the eventual year-end number 1 that year. Pete missed the U.S. Open because of injury, and took off about 6 months before the Masters, and still finished the year number 2. Pete owned Andre that year, and he actually beat Andre about 3 times in the summer leading up to the Open. If Pete had played the U.S. Open, or any of the tournaments leading up to the Masters, he would have finished number 1 in the world for seven straight years. The only thing that stopped him was a freak injury during practice the day before the Open started. What was most impressive though, was his ability to come back and win the masters after all that time off. Truly unbelievable.

edge
03-22-2004, 07:04 PM
For all the fans who think AA was better tham Sampras...what are you thinking?!

johnsheff
03-23-2004, 03:08 PM
edge, they are probably thinking 'french open,french open...' :-) but that aside, it is probably fairer to be comparing fed with jmac's record from 1984 right now that with the Sampras 6 years etc etc

Matt H.
03-23-2004, 07:20 PM
well, Agassi had the edge over Sampras at the Australian and the French, and Sampras owned Agassi at Wimbledon and the US Open.

SonicSpeed
03-23-2004, 08:52 PM
I like Agassi better than Sampras.

But Sampras >> Agassi

Andre will have to win a few more majors and end a couple more years at #1 to be greater. To be comparable, he'll have to win at least 2 more majors, the French and Wimbledon, IMO.