PDA

View Full Version : Any Canadians Bought Tires Online?

TheShaun
01-27-2008, 01:44 PM
Where did you get them from? What were your experiences? Did you pay duty?

Richie Rich
01-27-2008, 02:21 PM
i found that i was able to find retailers around me to lower their price enough to be really competitive with us prices. the thought of shipping a couple hundred pounds of rubber through the mail didn't appeal to me either :lol:

sorry i couldn't be more help to you

TheShaun
01-27-2008, 02:28 PM
i just noticed on tirerack that they collect the gst and pst. but they do charge a brokerage fee of $20, provincial tire something charge $16 and almost $100 for shipping by ups. plus i'd have to get them mounted and balanced.

i'm not looking for any specific tire so i think i'll be able to better locally. it just means hammering the phone and trying to negotiate prices.

Richie Rich
01-27-2008, 02:32 PM
i just noticed on tirerack that they collect the gst and pst. but they do charge a brokerage fee of $20, provincial tire something charge $16 and almost $100 for shipping by ups. plus i'd have to get them mounted and balanced.

i'm not looking for any specific tire so i think i'll be able to better locally. it just means hammering the phone and trying to negotiate prices.

pretty much takes some legwork. i went to 4 places and took about 1 day. as long as your tire size is common you'll find one who will give you a deal. even crappy tire has decent sales on from time to time

TheShaun
01-27-2008, 03:30 PM
pretty much takes some legwork. i went to 4 places and took about 1 day. as long as your tire size is common you'll find one who will give you a deal. even crappy tire has decent sales on from time to time

*cringe* i wouldn't mind buying tires there but the thought of their mechanics touching my car freaks me out.

iradical18
01-27-2008, 04:46 PM
*cringe* i wouldn't mind buying tires there but the thought of their mechanics touching my car freaks me out.

Do you have a very expensive car or something? Or you could just go buy the tires and put them on yourself.

TheShaun
01-27-2008, 05:04 PM
Do you have a very expensive car or something? Or you could just go buy the tires and put them on yourself.

this may come a shock, but i don't own a tire balancer nor do i own a mounting machine. and my fingers aren't strong enough to pry the tire off the rim. although i do know how to use those machines from my days in the shop. guess i'm SOL on a DIY job....

carguy
01-29-2008, 07:47 AM
plenty of my porsche buddies buy tires from tirerack and have it shipped to their mechanics for installation. i can't remember the exact amount but the savings were fairly significant.

alternatively if you want to deal with a local source, try http://www.1010tires.com. their prices are good although somewhat more expensive than tirerack. if nothing else you can use their prices to negotiate with a "bricks and mortar" tire shop.