PDA

View Full Version : Identify this racquet...12x16 string pattern!

Bud
01-27-2008, 03:14 PM
This racquet is on the TW "Selecting the Right Racquet" Page.

It's next to the HEAD... i.e. racquet on the right hand side.

It's got a string pattern of 12x16! :shock:

Who makes this racquet and what is the model and head size?

http://img.tennis-warehouse.com/Features/SelectingRacquet/PATTERNS.JPG

Captain Haddock
01-27-2008, 03:42 PM
It's Mark Woodforde's customized Yonex RD Power 10, based on the Snauwaert Hi-Ten racquets Woodforde used previously. He had that very open pattern drilled in all of his frames (Rossignol, Wilson, Yonex, etc.). Strings were a 12 or 14 gauge version of Luxilon.

bluescreen
01-27-2008, 03:46 PM
wow, that sounds crazy. 12 gauge would be like the thickness of my pinky.

stormholloway
01-27-2008, 03:58 PM
Maybe it should be on the "Selecting a POS Racquet Page".

iradical18
01-27-2008, 04:44 PM
A POS for us recreational players anyway, seems to be good enough for a multiple grand slam and olympic medal winner. Thats interesting, never seen it before.

Punisha
01-27-2008, 05:11 PM
imagine the spin if you used a 16 or 17 gauge string and swung like nadal....

meowmix
01-27-2008, 05:15 PM
imagine the spin if you used a 16 or 17 gauge string and swung like nadal....

Why not 18g, natural gut?<--- Nadal would be jealous... he'd probably get Babolat to make it for him: Aero Spin

herosol
01-27-2008, 05:15 PM
uhm.
how would that racket play?
would a 16 gauge pop in like 5 hits?

JW10S
01-27-2008, 06:32 PM
It's Mark Woodforde's customized Yonex RD Power 10, based on the Snauwaert Hi-Ten racquets Woodforde used previously. He had that very open pattern drilled in all of his frames (Rossignol, Wilson, Yonex, etc.). Strings were a 12 or 14 gauge version of Luxilon.
Yes. I got to hit with one of Mark's racquets years ago. He had to use thick strings due the open pattern--thinner strings would've broken too easily. Despite the fact that the strings were pulled tight (sorry, I don't remember the exact tension) due to the fact that the strings overlapped less they did not feel all that tight. At the time I was using the Prestige Mid and despite the fact that my racquets were strung looser, due to the dense string pattern of the Prestige, the string bed on mine felt tighter. It was a very unique thing--I know of no other pro who used a racquet with such a string pattern other than Mark.

Alafter
01-27-2008, 06:33 PM
Something funny about string pattern is too little, and you cant get decent spin either. As much as I want to believe that 12 x 16 will produce so much spin, it most likely will just disappoint me.

jayserinos99
01-27-2008, 09:07 PM
Despite the fact that the strings were pulled tight (sorry, I don't remember the exact tension) due to the fact that the strings overlapped less they did not feel all that tight. At the time I was using the Prestige Mid and despite the fact that my racquets were strung looser, due to the dense string pattern of the Prestige, the string bed on mine felt tighter.

Yes, this is the reason why I'd like to try this frame out. People are getting hung up on spin potential but I'm more interested in the feel of the frame. A really open pattern + thicker strings should produce a comfortable feel even though it was strung tight.