PDA

View Full Version : Take It Easy

ohplease
12-15-2004, 08:23 AM
Yes, yes - demanding rackets will make you better. But how about another question; what are the easiest rackets to play with currently? In other words, practice schmactice - today, I just want to have a good time.

I'm talking borrowed stick, no mods, "Hey, I could actually play a set right now" first time out, fun for everybody rackets. In my own experience, there's only really two out there: the Wilson Surge and the Prince Shark. Neither are perfect, and both might have a little too much/too little mass, swingweight, stiffness, headsize, power, control, etc.

But in the end, they've both got big, even sweetspots and behave pretty much exactly like you'd expect. Enough mass to prevent excessive wrist flick but still light enough to not distract you from playing (as opposed to getting big timber back and around on time). One could argue that the Head Liquidmetal 4 and Pro Kennex 5g might squeeze in at opposite ends of the conversation as well. Maybe the LM Radical, too. Pure Drive and its woofers might be a little too hot now and then. I've also seen non-dedicated, but athletic, part-timers play some pretty good tennis with Prince Screams and Wilson 6.X Hammers as well, though I personally find their head heavy balances a little strange.

Any others? The thought occurs to me that there's pretty good overlap between these particular rackets and Tennis magazines Editor's Choices. Maybe they know something we don't, after all.

JoostT
12-15-2004, 08:59 AM
Dunlop 300G...

ej
12-15-2004, 09:41 AM
Dunlop 300G...

Does this frame have a cozy, muted feel, or can you feel the lack of mass on every swing

JoostT
12-15-2004, 11:43 AM
Does this frame have a cozy, muted feel, or can you feel the lack of mass on every swing
I think it does have a cozy, muted feel. When I first demoed one, I didn't feel it lacked mass. Then I used a 200g and noticed the difference. However, at this moment my 300g is about 30 grams heavier than stock and I like it even better that way.

Joost

Craig Sheppard
12-15-2004, 02:46 PM
This is a good question... I've often thought it'd be a good idea to have a "middle of the road" racquet around to let people borrow if they want to go hit. At the same time, I think if you were playing with someone not so great and you just wanted to hit around w/o much effort and w/o worrying about style/form much.

My criteria for this would be 1) cheap 2) tweener-type weight 3) spin friendly and 4) easy on the arm. Surge seems to fit the first three, what about the 4th? Any other ideas? A Volkl maybe?

What about the Catapult 10, I see they're on sale? Light, comfy, etc... Anyone hit w/ one?

What about a discon' Volkl Tour 8, though kinda stiff.

NoBadMojo recommended a Volkl Classic V1 a few days ago, that seems on the money to me, but not at $180 for play around purposes.

Craig

Datacipher
12-15-2004, 05:47 PM
I would give the Radicals a vote. I don't use them anymore, but I keep a few around and loan them out to various players on occasion. Even the most advanced players can adapt to them(especially with higher tensions and more weight but obviously most really advanced players can adapt to any Radial setup) , yet it still has ample pop and sweet spot(particularly the OS obviously) for even the average complete beginner(though I suppose most of the beginners I work with currently are under 30...but still...). It isn't my ideal racquet but it's pretty versatile and it wont' give you "too much" of anything...

NoBadMojo
12-15-2004, 05:59 PM
agree with data except for the radicalMP being pretty hard to spin for alot of players. the volkl v1 classic is the closest i have found to the universal tennis racquet. big sweetspot, easy to spin, easy to hit hard, easy to control, good at everything, and players of all levels can use it..it's been around in pretty much its same form for 10 years. you dont see many of these used around...a good sign people are hanging on to them.

mverdugo
12-15-2004, 10:33 PM
I like the yonex vcon 17 which is very light 10.3 oz strung. Great especially if you are a doubles player. Nice sweetspot, open string pattern a little bit head heavy. I tried the v1 classic and liked it ok but for something in that range of weight vcon 17 felt much better to me. Only my personal opinion--I'm not a professional--a self taught 4.5 player.