PDA

View Full Version : Slightly easier but still in control...

james_R
12-15-2004, 10:16 AM
I am just thinking of changing to a slightly easier swinging racquet, but dont want to loose any control or solid feel I have at the moment. I was using the RDX500MID but with an energy reducing disability find it quite hard to keep hitting heavy, deep shots with it. I changed to the MidPlus very recently and it is better, I will see how I go in the long run. But if I still find this too heavy throughout the duration of a match after giving it a good trial, what else would you suggest I try? I want something obviously that is a little easier to get around and less energy sapping, but I have the stroke mechanics to use the RDX500s, Slazenger X1s etc so understandably dont want anything powerful or too light! I tried a 10.4ounce racquet and my goodness, it was just way too light and lacking in feel :shock: Quite a few people at my club use the LM Radical OS so I may give the MP version a try, what are your thoughts also on racquets like the Dunlop 300G and 200G XL? Worth trying if I find the RDX500MP still too energy sapping? I must admit that I do find the MP quite a bit easier overall, so will probably be sticking with it, but just wondered really what else I should try IF the subtle change is'nt enough? Cheers :wink:

ferrari_827
12-15-2004, 11:04 AM
James, I would encourage you to experiment more with strings rather than rackets if it's a power issue. The X1 and RDXs should provide more than enough power with a powerful string and a lower tension.

Some of the other models you mentioned may have more power, but are worse in other aspects so I would stick with what plays best and adjust the power level.

For example, now that the tension has dropped in my RDXmid substantially it's almost starting to feel too powerful, who does that strike you ?

james_R
12-15-2004, 11:20 AM
I know what you are saying Ferrari and I appreciate the input, though I have got to say that it is not power but weight that is the issue. I can generate enough power with the RDX500MID but I just cant weild the weight for a long period of time comfortably. So rather than an increase in power, I just wanted to see if I can step down in weight slightly but maintain the low powered, high control characteristics of these frames. Obviously there will be some trade off in stability, but I dont mind that if it means I can play at my true level longer. I am quite interested in the Volkl racquets, the V-Engine Tour 9 for example, which appears similar to the Radical in weight (slightly more) and is quite headlight, but not so much as the X1, for example. However, I am concerned that the 22mm beam may feel a little more 'clumsy'(?) than what I am used to. One thing is for sure and that is I will be trying differant tensions with the RDX500MP to see how that goes...right now though I must admit it is slightly easier to swing than the MID, so it could be enough of a differance. I hope so as I have built my game around feeling at one with the RDX500.

BLiND
12-15-2004, 02:42 PM
James while I am by no means in a position to recommend any frames, I would say in my limited experience, the Yonex RDX 300 MP is an excellent racquet... I thought it better than the 500. Other than that, possibly a Babolate, but I've never used one.