PDA

View Full Version : *Comment: Strings and tension underrated

ferrari_827
12-15-2004, 10:24 AM
It seems that people underrate the importance of string and tension in general. There are players who buy a $200 tennis racket, then string it with a dead feeling synthetic gut at 65lbs and wonder why racket doesn't play better ?

Even on this board, people buy a racket which plays well in all respects and is a bit short on power and think they need another racket, more often with worse playability, just because it has more "power". Hello....

Once you find a racket which has the feel, stiffness, swingweight, balance that you like, as long as the racket has decent power you can tweak it easily with strings/tension. So I think it's foolish to change from something you really like just over the issue of "power", and possibly sacrifice the fine playing characteristics of a player frame. This is assuming that the player has good mechanics to use the player frame and the problem with "power" isn't related to mechanics.

BLiND
12-15-2004, 01:55 PM
Fair point... though I think people see the price of restringing, as about 20% of the cost of a new racquet.... and especially when the strings are not needing replacing, they just think its a waste.

I know I am guity! :-)

Craig Sheppard
12-15-2004, 02:13 PM
A friend of mine used to sell just about every used racquet he had, and could just about sell any new model he needed to get rid of to any average player he met. Didn't matter really how stiff or how harsh the racquet played, how dead it was or how little feel it had, or even how abused it was. What did he do? Strung it with gut or a high-end multi. He'd give the frame to almost anyone to hit with and they'd be "WOOOOOOOOW! This racquet is awesome!". I can't tell you how much that cracked me up.... He'd be "Watch, I need to get rid of his Wilson Triad piece of crap? Gut baby." Sure enough, he had money in hand.

Craig

NoBadMojo
12-15-2004, 02:42 PM
i think people in general often just string too tight. also the newest stringing machines often dont string at a tension that matches many of the ranges the manufacturers put on their racquets...they string quite a bit tighter. this can spell disaster, especially on a frame like the x1 with a narrow suggested tension range. if you get someone stringing your racquet who just dials in a number and doesnt know what a real 58pounds or whatever should be, you could get an unplayable racquet and many people blame the racquet rather than a lousy stringjob. also for the same reason that many people who use players frames shouldnt be, they often string too high thinking that is the more macho thing to do. i see both of these things quite often.

wally
12-15-2004, 05:03 PM
I agree. You can take a Kmart racquet or mega-age racquet put in a good string job and a decent quality string and have a racquet that plays wonderfully. The converse is.......

I got my tour 90 because the guy that had it didn't like the way it played too stiff. Nothing like a thick 15g or 16g poly in a stiff frame ...... I put in a 17g high end multi at mid tension and it plays beautifully. I've even hybrid with 17g poly and high end multi and it still plays quite well.

just my $.02

Kirko
12-15-2004, 08:10 PM
Very true! I always thought I knew my stuff about tension & string . When I bought my 1st Prestige in 1988 for the 1st time i asked what tension do you reccomend ? He said 53 lbs. I took his advice & it was wonderful; before that i would have strung it @ 66 lbs. and would have dumped the frame thinking it was not for me . When I get my Prestige strung again its going to be with VS touch @ 52 lbs.

ferrari_827
12-16-2004, 05:34 AM
Mojo is correct, it seems that these new advanced stringing machines string much tighter than the old ones. To me, 50lbs on these machines feels almost like 60lbs on the old ones.

Re-stringing can be expensive $20-30 if you don't string it yourself, but the cost of changing rackets is much higher. And you still have to go through a string selection process with the new racket anyway.

Ronaldo
12-16-2004, 08:23 PM
You all have touched a topic that I was going to post. Are the heads of current racquets stiffer than those of the past and therefore lower string tensions needed to make these racquets playable? Strung a Head Instinct at 45#and had no harshness and a huge sweetspot. Prior to this, tried a LM Radical and LM Prestige mp and thought they both were too stiff and metallic in feel.