PDA

View Full Version : Help:Breaking yonex frames

DomStar7
01-28-2008, 10:55 AM
Iv heard alot about yonex frames breaking and i know someone whos frame broke and they didnt smash it on the floor.

Does anyone know if the Yonex RQIS 1 frame is prone to breaking???

mary fierce
01-28-2008, 11:22 AM
The old 1500 series was notoriously frail and the V-cons were prone to crack. Some Yonexes have 17-18 mm. shafts with wider heads, so that narrow shaft will have to bend when the rest of the frame doesn't -- not a recipe for longevity.

Syfo-Dias
01-28-2008, 11:29 AM
As a big Yonex fan I feel I have to say something here. I've used plenty of Yonex frames and have never had any of them crack on me from normal use. The only one I broke was my old RDX 500 MP and that's because I smashed it out of frustration. Obviously that was my fault and not the racquets. Now it's possible that a certain line could have a bad run and end up with some defects, but that happens in manufacturing. Across the board Yonex has pretty much the best quality control out there and if by some chance a racquet does crack they are good about replacing.

SFrazeur
01-28-2008, 11:37 AM
Yonex is notoriously finicky when it comes to warranty replacements, but if you use head tape and do not abuse the racquet in any way you should get a warranty replacement. So if a person likes their Yonex racquet I do not see the problem in using Yonex even if they are prone to breakage. Buy two racquets so that if one break you will still have the other one while you are seeking a warranty replacement. There are always advantages and disadvantages with different companies. With Wilson and Babolat there is the quality control issues, with Yonex there is the occasional breakage.

-SF

GambitX
01-28-2008, 11:49 AM
From my post below:

I have had probably 10 yonex rackets break on me... both RDX300 and RQS11s...
very frustrating... yes you do get a new racket from Yonex, but it takes almost (if not over) 8 weeks to get it back and it gets quite frustrating.

Iknow it doesnt happen to everybody... so I say give it a try until it breaks.

robkat
01-28-2008, 11:54 AM
I have used Yonex racquets on and off for the last 35 years, Including the RQ-1500. I have never had one break. I did have a buddy I was playing with that was using a RQ-2000 that broke while hitting a forehand. We both thought he broke a string and he looked and saw the frame was cracked straight through at the 8 O'clock position.

netman
01-28-2008, 12:29 PM
I've been using RDS 003s, then 001 MPs for over a year now and thrashing them pretty well. They are solid as tanks. I can't imagine them breaking from stress. Agree on the head tape. The head guards are so thin they are almost useless.

-k-

DomStar7
01-28-2008, 12:39 PM
But does anyone know if the rqis 1 is prone to breaking???

SFrazeur
01-28-2008, 12:44 PM
I've been using RDS 003s, then 001 MPs for over a year now and thrashing them pretty well. They are solid as tanks. I can't imagine them breaking from stress. Agree on the head tape. The head guards are so thin they are almost useless.

-k-

Yes, Yonexes "hexagon cross section" racquets are incredibly solid feeling racquets to me as well. Yonex headguards are the worse I have seen though, very little abrasion can degrade them terribly.

Love Yonex racquets though. Yonex make me a Pure Drive Plus like racquet and I will switch back!

-SF

DomStar7
01-28-2008, 12:45 PM
should i use extra protection on the head???

SFrazeur
01-28-2008, 12:52 PM
should i use extra protection on the head???

Euphemisms aside I would say yes. I recommend it is less to prevent damage that would cause structural damage and more to prevent minor abrasions that the Yonex replacement center with it's high standards use as reason to decline a replacement.

-SF, No Glove, No Love

PROTENNIS63
01-28-2008, 01:32 PM
Babolats crack the easiest.

madmanfool
01-28-2008, 01:36 PM
i had a yonex once that broke yes. The frame broke at 2 o clock when i hit a forehand. Never did i trow my racket.

Syfo-Dias
01-28-2008, 01:51 PM
i had a yonex once that broke yes. The frame broke at 2 o clock when i hit a forehand. Never did i trow my racket.

Was it strung 2 piece at the correct tension?

ollinger
01-28-2008, 01:55 PM
In addition to narrow shafts on some frames, the "isometric" squared design poses engineering limitations. Curved surfaces are generally stronger than straight or pointed ones, and the yonex shape produces flatter sides and "nodal" areas at the corners; might be good for sweetspot, but not ideal for structural strength.